Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wormery Trouble

I've built the wormery using a full size dustbin with gravel at the bottom and compost almost up to the top.

I introduced 1kg of mixed worms (mainly dendras and reds).

There are holes in the bottom of the bin to allow any fluids to escape and I've been feeding them bits of salad, veg, apples and egg shells (I'm told the latter helps to neutralise the ph level).

The worms are escaping because the lid isn't tight enough. I intended to use some hessian sacking as a breathable seal but Doncaster Market has let me down! The two stores that used to sell such things have closed down so I don't know where to get some sacking from.

And this all leads to the question of why aren't the worms happy in there and why can they only be found at the surface?

sash Guest

Just not enough love Matt......;o)

I've generally found that Dendras will come to the top when they are hungry. Try feeding them some cold mashed potato.

Fred Bonney Guest

with no salt in it!

Bin is a bit too full as well Matt, two thirds full is ample.

Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-) Guest

Heat in the centre is to hot for them.

May not be what it said on the tin when you bought them.

not enough of the right food.

They just don't like you :0)

Dendras are known to go walk about if the food and conditions arn't just right for them.

Are you adding some water once a month?

Did you add other than compost a worm activator?
    Worms have symbiotic relationship with other soil decomposing microbes without them present they canít breakdown what you put in the bin.
    The activator contains these microbes.

Take 2/3 of the compost/food waste out and put a 1/3 back of garden soil, which would contain the microbes and several wet newspapers with it. And mix all the contents of the bin together thoroughly.

Once a month add 2 litres of rainwater or tap water, which has stood for two days to allow all the added chemicals to evaporate from it.
    Worms need some moisture to keep them happy and to stop the contents of the bin becoming to dry through the heat generated by the decomposition process.

They also need air circulation and airtight bins make the whole lot go anaerobic, which kills them.

Ian Cloke Guest

Try using an ols Tshirt for a cover Matt, it should be OK till you get some hessian.

BAZ (Angel of the North) Guest

Use an old potatoe sack. Not the small orange or paper ones. The kind you used to have sack races in at school. Go to a farm.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm now confident I can make it work.

also remember when watering your wormery don,t use tap water its better to pee on them.dendra and reds have a slightly different food requirements l cover my wormery with bark chippings for the reds they like rougher material like hedge trimmings dendras prefer lighter materials like leaf litter being a woodland worm they both like manure get some in there son it will warm them up keep them in a warm moist and in the dark

also remember when watering your wormery don,t use tap water its better to pee on them.dendra and reds have a slightly different food requirements l cover my wormery with bark chippings for the reds they like rougher material like hedge trimmings dendras prefer lighter materials like leaf litter being a woodland worm they both like manure get some in there son it will warm them up keep them in a warm moist and in the dark

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast