Forum Changes

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Some of you may already have noticed that we have a new forum section: 'Events and Fish-ins'.

This was at the request of members and made sense to us. We are having so many fish-ins arranged on the site it does make good sense to always know where to find them. I have already transfered on-going fish-in discussions to the new section.

Another change is to the guidelines for the 'Bait Box' section. The following guideline has been added:

'EXCEPT: Race, Religion & Non fishing Politics. Read only if you are not offended by strong language.'

Which doesn't mean anyone can have a free-for-all on foul language. It just means that the moderators will be more tolerant. And we still prefer asterisks (*) to be used in the strongest words.

Discussions on race, religion and non-fishing politics are out. End of. Nobody can say we haven't offered a fair crack at discussing such topics but still showing some restraint on the language and comments made.

It hasn't worked, as every single discussion - every one - on race and/or religion has resulted in posts being edited and whole threads being deleted.

As far as non-fishing politics is concerned a little latitude will be shown, providing it isn't concerned with race and religion. As always the moderator will use his own discretion.

If you have any doubts about anything you post then the answer, always, is DON'T! It could lead to further questionable debate and result in a post being either butchered or deleted. It just isn't worth it.

To those who are on the point of screaming, "What about free speech!" I ask you this:

Is a fishing web site really the place for such rants? Of course it isn't, so just bear that in mind. I'm sure there must be hundreds of websites where such discussion is appropriate. On here it isn't.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Shame in a way as I did enjoy putting the other side of the argument.

As you say though Graham, there are other places to have those sort of discussions and I do not think the site will be any poorer for it.

S

Shrek

Does this mean that Ron can't keep harping on about the labour party?

Deanos

Reaction score
I agree, when you see how often the word "WILLY" is used on this site..its disgusting!
It upsets a lot of old people, and if you are not well endowed, constantly reminds you of the fact, and makes my life...erm I mean peoples lives a misery!

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
It is a shame some people could not voice their opinions without resorting to unacceptable language. I gave up replying to these threads as I felt they were always going nowhere.

Your job is a hard one Graham (and the other mods) and I think you have probably done the only sensible thing you could under the circumstances.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
It's a very unfortunate trend that has afflicted a great many sites, constant deletion by Moderators, then abuse aimed at the Moderator, resignations from the site by some of the posters, then Moderators resign, then the abusers are let back on to post, and the cycle starts again, a disturbing pattern.

The one thing I will say about this site is, there is a lot of leeway BEFORE action is taken, and I think that is to be applauded, after all we're not children, we do/should know when we are 'pushing' it.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Don't provoke it in the first place Merv.

F

Fred Bonney

What people should accept,is that the Moderators decision is final,no arguement.
If 'they' don't like it ...tough.
Good move Graham.
Next step,stop the use of asterisks.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Just a silly thought, if parents have put a bad language blocker on website access, then the use of asterisks bypasses the filter and makes the thread available to innocent eyes.

Parental filters are there so adults can moderate what their children view in the home.

Maybe strong language should be left so the filters protect those who should not see it.

Personally I swear like a trooper, but in the right places!

mike

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
"Personally I swear like a trooper, but in the right places!"

Me too, I find swearing in the right place makes a story more interesting :eek:]

L

Les Clark

Willy is my uncles name ,mind you he did get barred from a few parks...........................................for flashing :):):)

S

Steve King

Certainly race & religion threads often end up being pretty nasty and being deleted.

However threads about sexuality normally end up being homophobic and offensive. Whilst I am not of that orientation myself I have worked in the theatrical world where the number of gays was greater than the number of straight men. Also a relative "came out" a couple of years ago; it certainly shocked my wife & I (not to mention his wife & kids!!) What it comes down to though IMHO is what goes on between consenting adults behind closed doors is no concern of mine.

I was surprised last year when I thread I started in Bait Box called "T** Monday" was deleted (it had one less * in Bait box). It was really no more than a bit of schoolboy humour, but it was deleted. A few months later though a thread with a link to a video to a lady removing her clothing and finally removing a scarf from a rather intimate hiding place was allowed to stay. Hands up I did click the alert moderator button, but it was not acted upon.

I had actually been sent a link to the very same video a few months previously. I am no prude and thought the video really funny. However I didn't think it was suitable to post a link from Fishing Magic and so I e-mailed a link to a couple of FM regulars.

All I am asking for is a little more consistency in moderation. I do know that is not an easy task though.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
as far as moderators and moderating goes this is one of the best sites.I myself recently took the plunge and became a moderator on Total-fishing forums,its like a nursery somedays.I took the decision to become a Moderator after a couple packed in.I thought well i could just sit back in my armchair and B**** & moan or do something about it so i volunteered.
Its been interesting so far.

B

Brendan Ince

well done grahem i like the lok of the new bits on the forum make fish ins alot easyier to find fish ins i also swear alot but whilst typeing things try to actully think abit more about wot i am saying and when i read a thread with alot of bad words in i just think it just shows thet the person who posted it is not thinking about wot he is typing i wouldnt swear in church ( not thet i go alot ) but i would in a pub if its in bait box fairs fair but anywhere else just shows thet they are not respecting the web site imo ?

W

Wolfman Woody

We've had some good banter and top topical debates in Bait Box in the past. At a guess, I would say that no more than 5% of them have got a little out of hand and perhaps 1% or less even, have got completely out of hand.

I understand the difficulty for the moderators though and I can be just as guilty of causing grief at times. I don't mean to be racist in any remarks, I ask questions and welcome open honest debate otherwise we might as well stick our heads in the sand and let the power seekers have their way.

For those who would want to close Bait Box down, what do you talk about on the bank when you're with your mates, fishing? Surely it's not always about fishing, is it? If you're a rational human being you'll talk about all manner of subjects as they hit the news, so what's wrong with having them in Bait Box?

However, I do accept that what one person sees as an honest question or comment, another will infer nothing but malice because their view is tainted either by bigotry or misinformation. A difficult situation and sadly one that cripples open discussion.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Well put Wendy. Having an off-topic forum like Bait Box is common on most forum sites and as long as members behave themselves can lead to a whole variety of discussions, both serious and light hearted.
I think your rules are sensible Graham and as usual you're doing a great job.