Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum Changes

Some of you may already have noticed that we have a new forum section: 'Events and Fish-ins'.

This was at the request of members and made sense to us. We are having so many fish-ins arranged on the site it does make good sense to always know where to find them. I have already transfered on-going fish-in discussions to the new section.

Another change is to the guidelines for the 'Bait Box' section. The following guideline has been added:

'EXCEPT: Race, Religion & Non fishing Politics. Read only if you are not offended by strong language.'

Which doesn't mean anyone can have a free-for-all on foul language. It just means that the moderators will be more tolerant. And we still prefer asterisks (*) to be used in the strongest words.

Discussions on race, religion and non-fishing politics are out. End of. Nobody can say we haven't offered a fair crack at discussing such topics but still showing some restraint on the language and comments made.

It hasn't worked, as every single discussion - every one - on race and/or religion has resulted in posts being edited and whole threads being deleted.

As far as non-fishing politics is concerned a little latitude will be shown, providing it isn't concerned with race and religion. As always the moderator will use his own discretion.

If you have any doubts about anything you post then the answer, always, is DON'T! It could lead to further questionable debate and result in a post being either butchered or deleted. It just isn't worth it.

To those who are on the point of screaming, "What about free speech!" I ask you this:

Is a fishing web site really the place for such rants? Of course it isn't, so just bear that in mind. I'm sure there must be hundreds of websites where such discussion is appropriate. On here it isn't.

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA) Guest

Shame in a way as I did enjoy putting the other side of the argument.

As you say though Graham, there are other places to have those sort of discussions and I do not think the site will be any poorer for it.

Shrek Guest

Does this mean that Ron can't keep harping on about the labour party?

I agree, when you see how often the word "WILLY" is used on this site..its disgusting!
    It upsets a lot of old people, and if you are not well endowed, constantly reminds you of the fact, and makes my life...erm I mean peoples lives a misery!

Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
    Blog Entries

It is a shame some people could not voice their opinions without resorting to unacceptable language. I gave up replying to these threads as I felt they were always going nowhere.

Your job is a hard one Graham (and the other mods) and I think you have probably done the only sensible thing you could under the circumstances.
    I believe in reintarnation - I'll come back to life as a hillbilly.

Mr Moderator....Deano's said W#LLY on the General Forum, not in Baitbox, can you ban HIM please ]
    Some people are so poor, that all they have is money

It's a very unfortunate trend that has afflicted a great many sites, constant deletion by Moderators, then abuse aimed at the Moderator, resignations from the site by some of the posters, then Moderators resign, then the abusers are let back on to post, and the cycle starts again, a disturbing pattern.

The one thing I will say about this site is, there is a lot of leeway BEFORE action is taken, and I think that is to be applauded, after all we're not children, we do/should know when we are 'pushing' it.
    Some people are so poor, that all they have is money

BAZ (Angel of the North) Guest

Don't provoke it in the first place Merv.

Frothey Guest

lots of children looking in though merv...

Fred Bonney Guest

What people should accept,is that the Moderators decision is final,no arguement.
    If 'they' don't like it ...tough.
    Good move Graham.
    Next step,stop the use of asterisks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast