off the beaten track

newbieneil

Reaction score
Has anyone ever fished the warwickshire avon around the rugby/coventry area?...im intrigued by such sections of rivers that we dont seem to hear anything about,is it because they arent upto much for one reason or another e.g - too shallow/bad access/hostile area ?

any info and any thoughts greatly appreciated
cheers
-Neil

Jamesy

Reaction score
Hello Niel,
I'm a member of the Plough AS which has the section of the Avon from Ryton (by the scrapyard) to Wolston and it is claimed that there is a Barbel in every swim! There are certainly Barbel in a lot of swims, + Chub, Bream, Pike and the smaller species. It's a great stretch and a good club. The CDAA used to have four meadows at Bretford but gave them up as the rent became too high, not sure whether Stoneleigh AS has taken it on. The river by Ryton bridge next to the Holiday in used to be CDAA back in the day and was v. popular with the kids from the south of the city. Now it's free I think but its in a poor state with low flow and excessive reed/weed growth. Some good Chub still there though.

newbieneil

Reaction score
Thanks for the swift reply jamesy ! ... ive heard about the bretford section and that it is possibly free to fish,doing a search just now threw up a section controlled by leamington AA that produced a 15Lb barbel for some lucky git...have you any experience of this section? ...is it possible to obtain a day ticket for the plough A.S section aswell mate?-or if it is members only,what could i expect to pay to join ?

im not particularly after barbel...i just prefer relatively smaller sections of river that are quite secluded and offer a varied array of species and the avon around this area sounds very interesting to me

Thanks -Neil

Jamesy

Reaction score
Leamington have a section of the Avon just south of Warwick and it bookends the BAA 'Manor Farm' section, they have other bits downriver too. There ia Wear just downstream of this section which makes the river relatively slow and deep, and catches are poor. Guest passes are allowed on the Plough section, a member can obtain a limited number per season, but I believe they have to accompany you. Membership is only £30 per season and a random number of members, selected by the committee, MUST undertake Work programmes before June 16. I've managed to avoid the draft so far! I don't particularly target Barbel either, I just like the odd one now and and agin. This section sounds just what you're looking for as it has a good variety of different swims with deeper sections nearer Coventry & shallower runs in the middle (there are over 100 pegs). It is v. popular and sold out two years ago, but I have had periods of fishing mid-week where I never saw another Angler in six successive visits.