Des Taylor

R

Rodney Wrestt

Anyone else feel cheated by big Des and A.T. a few weeks ago they went on about this secret mix which was helping get the fish going (sound familiar?) then we were told I'll reveal the stuff next week....er no you didn't Des. Then the following week we are told what the concoction was a secret blend of ingredients which produce a brown gunge and smells of lots of stuff...ah now I see...cheers Des And A.T. I'll rush out an get some.....er what's the actual name again...oh yes "The Edge". Wonder who makes it and how much this new wonder bait will cost, if you had told us I'd have asked Santa for a ton.

P

Paul Williams

Theres a lot of what Des writes that is bo....well lets say i don't agree with it ;o) but in this case i don't think he actually said he would reveal it the following week......if i remember he said he would reveal it and he has, but to be honest his supplier has just found a decent fish attractor, it will blow either sooner or later depending on it's food value and how much it is used......at least Des has said where it can be purchased (SBS) imay not have IF it was that good ;o)

A

Alan Roe

I suppose with the name of his new employers it would now have to be renamed
Badgers Ar**!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Alan,
lol. I couldn't think of a "Badger" one liner to put in the post but I did try.

It's meant to cost 3 times the price of other aditives...I'll wait untill it's not as devastating at creating a fishy cauldren then get some cheap. ;o}~

E

Evan Hartshorne

i think the secret atractant is the all the crap that come's out of taylors mouth and his other orrifaces

NOTE FROM GRAHAM
Instead of just deleting it I've left the above comment in as an example of what we don't do on FISHINGmagic.

Constructive criticism is fine but personal abuse is not on.

Everybody has a right to either like or dislike somebody on the basis of what they write. But don't just call them schoolboy names or toss insults around. By all means say that you don't like them, but do it constructively and at least tell us why you don't like them, or why you disagree with what they've written.

T

Terry Mann

Evan,
I think your being very hard on poor old Desmond.I,m sure he will sell loads of this super additive and make loads of money so that he can continue treating us mere mortals to smiling pictures of him big game fishing in far away places. "Yes I jealous"

G

Gerry Castles

It's not difficult to understand why anglers get angry about Des Taylor's column, he is absolutely reviled by pike anglers for his views on summer piking, fly fishing for pike and almost anything else that he can think of to
a) be as controversial as possible
b) sell as many Angling Times as possible

In many ways he's the anti-anglers best friend. Who knows perhaps he's working undercover for PETA

So far as his ramblings in AT are concerned, value and truth are usually out of the window, since his views on piking are not from the mouth of a noted pike angler and are largely unsubstantiated by the general experience of the pike angling population and in many cases what he advises us all to do are in sharp contrast to what he has been seen to do in his somewhat over-rated videos.
The answer to Des Taylor is not to complain on forums or even AT, nor is it to use 'schoolboy names' The answer is

a) ignore it. When you are making a living from being controversial, then being igonored is the worse thing that can happen
b) vote with your pocket. Stop buying Angling Times. You'd be surprised how even a slight drop in circulation can be an
editorial wake up call.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
That's exactly the well-balanced, constructive criticism I'm talking about four postings previously Gerry. I don't necessarily agree with what you've said, but you've criticised Des constructively and in a proper manner.

B

Barry Kneller

I was very tempted to reply in a similar vein to Evan, but I think that Gerry has just about said it all. I stopped (regularly)buying Anglers Mail mail years ago but still get AT every week, my old man bought me the very first issue way back in the 50's & I've purchased it ever since but when RW died, a large part of the paper died with him & the of the many people who have tried to emulate him DT is probably the worse. We need a new giant in the Angling world Who is not just in it for the money & the overseas jollies - I'll cast my vote for Jim Gibbinson - How about it Jim?

T

Terry Mann

Whatever we say about Des he has taken it upon himself to try and get something done about the problems on the Severn.Even if I don,t agree with alot of what he writes I admire him for that.

K

Kevan Farmer

from the description of Des' super bait I would hazard a guess that 'asafoetida' forms part of it. It's an obnoxious smelling spice from Asia. Used a lot in Asian cooking - tates good in it believe it or not. More importantly, it has been used in India for decades in a paste for mahseer. I may be wrong but it can't be much trouble to try it. Yes, I will when I get out again.

Kevan

ps. Des Taylor. He's been described as a motormouth before now. Well, he does hold some passionate opinions and I have not always agreed with him. However, don't forget he is also passionate about his fishing and I honestly do not think he would deliberately endanger angling. It's the man's living after all.

B

Barry Kneller

Evan

Thanks for the link to Fishslime,I've just been through the whole site & had a real good laugh, won't go back tho' - they had the nerve to have a pop at **** Walker! - Oliver Mycock would have loved it tho'.

R

Rodney Wrestt

When I started this thread I didn't mean to bring everyones anger about Des to the forum, I felt misled by the description and wording of the articles in which we were teased with the additive and it's contents and that's what began the thread. I actually enjoy reading his column...well enjoy might be too strong a word, although I don't agree with everything he writes or says I still read it, unlike another angling writer who I stopped reading long ago. Des makes good copy for A.T. and his controversy can fill their letters page when there's nothing else on peoples mind, it seems that he has a personality that a high proportion of the readership find abrasive and take offence to. I also notice that the other writer I was talking about (the one I don't read anymore) was treated a lot more sevearly than Des for doing the same thing in a grander scale...I wonder if peoples opinion about disliking an angling writer's work is based on a random comment now and again or is it too much too often or maybe it's a build up of comments which effect the way we each choose to fish that eventualy switches us off to a writer. In my case I still intend to read his column, but I wouldn't rush out to buy a book.....well not yet anyhow.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Well said Rodney.

Controversy is fine. There's nothing like it for an interesting debate. But too much of it from one person makes it so you can't see the wood for the trees.

When you come to expect controversy from an angler it loses its impact, for you just think, "Oh yeah, here we go again," skim through it and quickly lose interest.

But let that same controversy come from someone who isn't known for controversy and the impact is 10 times as great.

Most experienced angling writers know that when you court controversy, ie, go out of your way to initiate it, there is always a danger that it will be ignored, for most readers will see it for what it is. Not that that matters providing the article is interesting and entertaining.

They also know that the fiercest controversies usually begin with an innocent remark that was never intended to be controversial.

Bear in mind too, that most regularly controversial columns are being steered by the editor............

S

Stewart Bloor

Sorry Rodney, it's too late now....Des is on his way round to sort you out...

In fact Badger have despatched him first class, but don't worry, by the time he arrives, you'll probably get Graham taylor instead.....