knives

shaun coxall

Reaction score
I need some one to clarify the knife laws to me. Is it illegal to carry a lock knife with a blade no longer than 4". A friend of mine saw my lock knife the other day when i lent somebody it in the pub to cut some some string on a box. He said that i could get done for carrying said implement.
I honestly have never given it a thought; it is in my old jacket which i tat around in, i use it for fishing and also take it to work. Can one of you sages please enlighten me before i am cuffed and taken away never to fish again!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have a Kershaw 3 1/2" lock blade knife. It's completely legal, I checked it out with the cops.

I think 4 inches is the limit.

Lock blades are much safer of course and will not fold in on you when you are working.

alan

Reaction score
Shaun, Ron is right on the limit and it being legal to carry, but you have to have a reason for carrying it.

i carry one for work, cutting cardboard up.
i carry one for fishing for cutting line and bait, i also carry a 12inch filliting knife on the beach to clean fish, its kept hidden in my tackle box and dosnt come out if people are around.

in both instances it is legal to carry a knife.

going to the pub, shops, nightclubs, you have no "legal" reason to carry a knife and the police can/will charge you for it.

W

Wolfman Woody

I think you might find it illegal.

I'll check with my constable friend later and come back, but he has told me before that all lock-knives are illegal. Alan is also right in that for any knife you must have a reason for carrying it.

I agree with Ron though, they are the safest especially when you want to cut luncheon meat with the back edge.

S

Scott Whatmore

Shaun, try googling 'knife laws'. These are 2 items I came up with in seconds. Better safe than sorry mate.

'The Criminal Justice Act (1988) says that you may carry a knife with a blade length of 3.0" or less so long as it is capable of folding. That means no fixed blade knives. But use your loaf - a knife has no place at a football match, in a pub, nightclub or school and becomes an offensive weapon in these circumstances in just the same way as a screwdriver, or any other innanimate tool.'

'You may carry a larger cutting tool if it is associated with your work (for instance a chef may carry a 9.0" butchers knife roll to and from work), or if it is associated with your sport, (for instance a fisherman may carry a 6.0" fillet knife, or a hunter may carry a 4.0" fixed blade hunting knife).'

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

As long as you don't carry such a knife in public without a reason for doing so you can own a lock blade.

I would never carry a folding blade knife without a lock on it, they are too bluudy dangerous without a locking facility.

Can't understand why a lock bladed knife is illegal, if I wanted to do someone harm with a knife I would carry a 6 inch stilletto.

W

Wolfman Woody

Yes sorry Ron.

Clarify - it's not illegal to own them, but it is to carry them especially if you have no substantial reason to posess one.

I'd assumed that we were just talking about carrying them. Goodness me, I have a katana sword here that would definitely be illegal to carry around, but I can own one.

If I wanted to do anyone harm I'd carry a filleting knife. Never forget that scene from Marathon Man where Schell slit open the guts of that US spy. Urghh!

shaun coxall

Reaction score
Their must be a lot of people breaking the law then, i mentioned this topic to a friend who owns a webley lock knife like mine and he reckoned that when he purchased his knife from the army and navy stores in Wolves , the shop owner commented on how this particular knife was his best seller, and that he sold at least three or four a week. Surely these people who bought this item are not going to leave it in the house to look at. I must admit on reflection it was foolish of me to have taken it out in the pub , but i honestly thought nothing of having it in my pocket. It will remain in the tackle box from now on.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I always carry my lockblade Kershaw when I go fishing. I use it for cleaning trout, cutting up luncheon meat and any other little jobs when I am camping or bivvying.

I decent knife has often been a life saver to people who have been cut off from civilisation on occasions. Ray Mears would not survive without a good knife.

W

Wolfman Woody

There was a young girl at a swimming baths got her hair caught in the intake of a jacuzzi. She was at risk of drowning until another swimmer grabbed a sharp knife from the restaurant and cut through her hair. That was maybe 12 years ago, 12 years she wouldn't have otherwise seen.

Like many things, guns included, it's not the instrument that's dangerous, but the user.

swanny999

Reaction score
A lock knife is not illegal, but it is not a folding pocket knife so you need to have a good reason to carry it regardless of the blade length. The same goes for any knife other than a folding pocket knife blade 3" or less, you need a genuine reason. Certain knifes are offensive weapons per se ie. butterfly knife or flick knife.

David Craine

Reaction score
Ron,
The blade length for any penknife is maximum 3"
If you have a good reason for carrying a, for instance.. filleting knife, or Stanley type knife, such as use in work, or hobby, it is ok.I carry a lock knife with a 31/2" blade every day, and it is legal for what I use it for.

Steaker de Lurker

Reaction score
I can take two 10" knitting needles anywhere I like ........ what would I want to carry a knife for?

W

Wolfman Woody

"I can take two 10" knitting needles anywhere I like ........ what would I want to carry a knife for?"

Says the new editor of KnittingMagic.com

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Knife laws aren't particularly difficult to understand but a friend of mine discovered, about 10 years ago, that even the police don't always know them.
He was returning home to London by car after a day's boat fishing at Southend when he was involved in an accident (not his fault and little damage to his car)but a bystander had phoned the police and when they arrived they did the usual breatherlyser tests which in my friend's case was negative but they decided, for some obscure reason, to search his car. In the boot they found a bag of neatly filleted cod and of course his rods and a tackle bag which they opened and found his filleting knife. Despite his protests he was arrested for being in possession an offensive weapon and taken to the local nick. A duty solicitor was called to be present during questioning and as soon as he knew what the charge was he read the riot act to the arresting officers. To make amends the station sergeant arranged for my friend to have all his possessions returned (including the knife) and also to be given a lift back to his car which, luckily was still drivable.