Eastern european angling,not acceptable here

Status
Not open for further replies.

fongy74

Reaction score
Theres been many articles written about Eastern europeans using illegal fishing methods lately in the angling press and not a month ago a man was beaten to within an inch of his life when he challenged some foreign men placing longlines in our city park lake on other occasions there have been ducks and swans plucked,cooked and half eaten at the same venue,does anyone else know of any similar incidents and what course of action do you think should be taken to protect our fisheries as it seems the EA aren't doing much about it.:mad::mad::mad:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Theres been many articles written about Eastern europeans using illegal fishing methods lately in the angling press and not a month ago a man was beaten to within an inch of his life when he challenged some foreign men placing longlines in our city park lake on other occasions there have been ducks and swans plucked,cooked and half eaten at the same venue,does anyone else know of any similar incidents and what course of action do you think should be taken to protect our fisheries as it seems the EA aren't doing much about it.:mad::mad::mad:

Well I know of a Polish guy who was fishing legally and had his rods broken and took a savage beating from the local baliffs - just for being Polish

luremanmike

Reaction score
....it one on these again.

careful mate cos these threads usually in end in someone being branded as a racist. Also mate i've heard of English anglers eating the fish and what knot so its not just EE's.

but yes what you have mentioned has happend round here..... A huge net lined with baited hooks was found in the water at Pennington flash in leigh not long ago which made the news. EE's where caught trying to put a net in another local water but where... apprehended so to say and yesterday while up the canal i found feathers and some used portable barbecues.....

Reaction score
And my local angling club, when I was secretary, encouraged wildfowl of all sorts on our waters...even got on the local news.......only to find swans and geese slaughtered...by local oiks....all "proud Englishmen".

I assume that fongy74 has been out angling in Eastern Europe like have....I must have been very fortunate in only seeing strictly catch and return policies being enforced in the 4 countries I have visited in the region.

There are bad apples in every society...and yes I am sure that there are a small number of eastern European folk who do act illegally...and I'm also damned sure there are far more English who do the same and worse; because we've caught them on our waters.

redfin123

Reaction score

I have done a thread about this unacceptable behaviour by eastern europeans. Its got that bad at dunham bridge on the trent they are killing the fish they catch cooking them on fires and eating them, bream, roach, barbel, pike, they all get eaten or taken away. The litter is appauling, I have had to clean a peg befor I could start fishing. all complaints have fallen on deaf ears. If it was english doing it we,d be in court.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I have done a thread about this unacceptable behaviour by eastern europeans. Its got that bad at dunham bridge on the trent they are killing the fish they catch cooking them on fires and eating them, bream, roach, barbel, pike, they all get eaten or taken away. The litter is appauling, I have had to clean a peg befor I could start fishing. all complaints have fallen on deaf ears. If it was english doing it we,d be in court.

Well the english are doing it - regularly by me either taking pike to eat or just killing pike to connect the roach in the canal , and I never saw an Englishman prosecuted either.

fongy74

Reaction score
R E:Bennygesserit
I hope the bailiffs who did that to the Polish guy you know were dealt with by the police,if they were official bailiffs they would have been easily tracable,and i have probably been a bit narrow minded to begin the thread Eastern european and i certainly didn't want to tar anyone with the same brush,i am mearley asking what fellow anglers think of the situation being portrayed within the media.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
R E:Bennygesserit
I hope the bailiffs who did that to the Polish guy you know were dealt with by the police,if they were official bailiffs they would have been easily tracable,and i have probably been a bit narrow minded to begin the thread Eastern european and i certainly didn't want to tar anyone with the same brush,i am mearley asking what fellow anglers think of the situation being portrayed within the media.

Certainly its a very difficult situation , and the truth is in the numbers , I never thought this problem existed but I have personally seen eastern europeans take fish , but equally honestly I have seen more fish taken or killed by Anglos , too small a sample to be valid admittedly.

Personally being a lefty liberal type I joined a polish fishing forum , catch and release is a big deal over there too

hands across the water | Gofishing.co.uk

Thanks for the very balanced reply on what is a tricky subject :)

Bluenose

Reaction score
and I never saw an Englishman prosecuted either.

Spot on.

No one gets prosecuted because no one is checking.

A few fish getting nicked and some litter on a river bank are never going to be that big a deal to any police force. It doesn't matter who leaves it.

Sad but true.

fongy74

Reaction score
yeh it's another one of these!
There are no racist comments or angles whatsoever in my opening thread and like i said i was mearely asking what folk thought of the current situation that is getting alot of exposure in our angling press despite what most of you have said in your replies you haven't actualy said what you think the Enviroment agency should be doing about it,i asume you all pay for your right to fish in this country like i do,so instead of directing your angry comments at me why don't you give a reply to the thread?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
yeh it's another one of these!
There are no racist comments or angles whatsoever in my opening thread and like i said i was mearely asking what folk thought of the current situation that is getting alot of exposure in our angling press despite what most of you have said in your replies you haven't actualy said what you think the Enviroment agency should be doing about it,i asume you all pay for your right to fish in this country like i do,so instead of directing your angry comments at me why don't you give a reply to the thread?

I dont think any replies were angry mate , this subject has been done to death on every forum in the world , even the Polish ones.

Break a rod as we say in Poland

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
As Posh Paul says our 'locals' are far from perfect, in many instances far worse than the EE's.

A couple of my clubs water bailiffs were recently threatened (by locals) When they reported the incident (netting fish and threats of violence) at the local police station the guy (PC?) on the desk said he hoped they caught plenty :mad:
I reported this to the local wildlife protection officer and she was lost for words. I think the local PC/plods do not realise the extent and seriousness of poaching and fish theft now occurring on all waters. I'm not a carper, but how much is a 30lb-40lb carp worth? A local commercial has lost 6 fish over 30lb over the last few months; if a farmer lost that much stock value in sheep/cattle it would make the national news media.

Mind, the EA telling the whole $loody world that the Wear is now the best sea trout river in the country didn't help either.

I am now in the process of trying, through the AT North East Freshwater Forum, to get a useful dialogue set up between angling clubs/anglers, the local police and the EA; I know the EA head of enforcement in the NE very well and he is keen to get it set up.

Have look on the PAC web site, there is a very good article (in pdf) written by Mark Leathwood to download. The AT/FL has also recently published new information re poaching and fish theft.

Last edited:

fongy74

Reaction score
I have been to Poland and Romania fishing and also have observed strict catch and release rules whilst there,the fisheries we whent to had far more security on them than our waters do which would say to me that it is probably a bigger problem to fishery owners within their own borders,with all due respect i didn't hear any comments about Englishmen longlining their waters.

---------- Post added at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

The bottom line for me is whats to be done about it,regardless of nationality if folk want to commit criminal acts concerning our fish stocks then something needs to be done.The Enviroment agency only seem to want to go for easy targets they should be doing more to protect those venues where the crimes are most prolific that said our Enviroment agency aren't much cop anyway because if they where then this wouldn't be an issue.

waggy

Reaction score
Stop reading our awful angling press. That's my answer. It's just designed to wind up the gullible amongst us.
Haven't you twigged it yet - it's EEs one week , then cormorants, then otters, then crayfish, then back to EEs again - they just want to up the agro somehow every week.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Stop reading our awful angling press. That's my answer. It's just designed to wind up the gullible amongst us.
Haven't you twigged it yet - it's EEs one week , then cormorants, then otters, then crayfish, then back to EEs again - they just want to up the agro somehow every week.

time they had a go a gypos then :D

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Guy's,
It is not putting us anglers in a very good light by ''having a go'' at everyone and everything that we think are destroying are fisheries (the angling press are not helping in this matter!) Don't forget there are folk that think we are cruel barbarians for sticking hooks in fish, and not all EEs are bad folk, in fact, the polish are the least of our worries (don't forget we liberated them from the Germans, and they have never forgot that.) I have this week witnessed a dead swan that had been shot by a gang of lads from a posh housing estate in Chorley, and YES, they were English (A local ranger told me who had done it)
The matter about the police not being bothered was put in to prospective for me personally a few weeks ago. I was sat having breakfast on a Sunday morning about 10.00am when someone outside discharged both barrels of a shotgun right outside my girlfriends house!
I called the police and told them what had happened and what they responded with shocked me! They asked me if I was sure it was not fireworks, I told them that I knew what a shotgun sounded like (I have held a certificate for years) and then they asked me if it was not someone doing pest control...in the middle of a housing estate...yeh, right! They said they would send an officer round to have a word with me, and guess what, they never came. To much paper work I guess!!!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.