Can anyone recommend a good reel..

bails

Reaction score
I've been advised rear geared reels are not good, because the drag snatches, now someone has mentioned this to me, I have noticed this is the case.

Can anyone recommend anything before I start looking?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Presuming that you mean rear drag reals, it's often true that the drag isn't as good as an equivalent price/quality front drag reel. However, it'll depend on the quality of the rear drag reel as to whether the drag snatches. A cheap and nasty front drag reel may well be just as bad.

As to a recommendation, what's the intended use and what's the budget?

bails

Reaction score
Yes, rear drag (it's late and Friday) :)

Budget less than £150? Would that cut it?

redfin123

Reaction score
I've been advised rear geared reels are not good, because the drag snatches, now someone has mentioned this to me, I have noticed this is the case.

Can anyone recommend anything before I start looking?

Ive got a few rear drag reels, never had a problem. how much do you want to spend, go for a good shimano, either front or rear drag nowt wrong we em. will last you years if you look after them as I do

sam vimes

Reaction score
If it's general feeder fishing I'd probably go for a 4000 sized Shimano front drag with a double handle. If I was intending to use it mostly for commercial method fishing I'd consider a Shimano baby baitrunner.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've found both the Daiwa Whisker or Exceler front drag reels to be excellent though the Shimano baby baitrunners are very nice too. I've also got Shimano Exage's which are also very nice reels though I prefer the rear drag versions personally. Dunno why...just me I guess. I'm the same with double handles...I just don't get on with them for no reason that I can explain.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm the same with double handles...I just don't get on with them for no reason that I can explain.

I generally prefer single handles but the doubles come into their own when stillwater tip fishing. Singles handles can drop forward under their own weight in certain positions, doubles don't.

bails

Reaction score
Thanks guys I'll have sniff through tinternet now..

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I generally prefer single handles but the doubles come into their own when stillwater tip fishing. Singles handles can drop forward under their own weight in certain positions, doubles don't.

You're quite right Sam...these ultra smooth modern reels do do that & it drives me nuts. I have a very,very smooth Spro that I use a lot for stillwater lead work.Fantastic reel but the single handle does have a habit of slowly dropping forwards.Its very annoying but having owned & used double handled reels I just cannot get on with them. I dont like the look or feel of a double though for this sort of work I may have to wind my neck in.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I do prefer rear drag reels, most mine are Shimanos. Do have exage 2500, 3000 and 4000. Front drag I use for spinning but do prefer the rear drag, the 3000 has double handle which again I prefere.
For more money go for the sendo, GTM or stradic (top notch).
Again size 2500, 3000 or 4000.

pellethead15

Reaction score
Ive a shimano stradic 2500,its a wonderfully versatile little reel,feels quality loves fighting fish,strong reliable trustworthy, and not too expensive.

watatoad

Reaction score
For me a front drag reel then the Mitchel range have always served me well since I first started using them in the 1960's,

Look out for:

Mitchell 310xe a small and light excellent front drag/clutch no frills reasonably priced reel,

Mitchell 310xge a small and light with more bearings a great front drag/clutch an excellent reel,

Mitchell 308xge a slightly larger with a good set of bearing and an excellent front drag/clutch a excellent reel,

Shakespeare Mach 3 xt a nice front drag reel maybe a bit blingy for some.

All come with spare spools.

dezza

Reaction score
If you are looking for real quality, and I daresay you are with a budget of £!50.00, might I suggest that you take a look at the Daiwa TDX 3012. It's one of the best reels of its type in the world and you should be able to get one for £175.00 or thereabouts.

And I am not sponsored by Daiwa.

bails

Reaction score
LOL, if you were sponsored by Diawa, i would have expected a harder sell from you.

There is so much choice out there, I wonder how some of the manufacturers stay in business. I am currently reading up on your recommendations.

Thank you for all your advice, this is one of the things I like about the site.

dezza

Reaction score
On the question of double handles. When they first came out, about 14 years ago, I was decidely sceptical. However after acquiring a Shimano GTM 4010 on recommendation from Tony Miles, I soon lost my fears and today I prefer a double handle anytime.

They are far more balanced.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I also prefer double handled reels, after many years using them singles just don't feel right any more.
Jerry

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hi mate,
Take a look at the shimano XT2500 and 4000 baby baitrunners, they are superb for the money (£90-£100) have a look on harris sportsmail the postage is free and the service is top notch!
you will not go wrong with these reels, but if you want something very special take a look at the shimano 4000D BAITRUNNER (£120-150) they are sublime, I use them for my barbel fishing.

Do not even look at Mitchell reels, they are rubbish and folk that recommend them are living in the past!!

mark

I know Ron likes a certain diawa reel, and don't get me wrong they are top of the tree, but they need to come down in price a little! I would like one myself as it will match my excel rods but I have to save for my Chris Lythe pins as they will be ready next year!!!!!!

Last edited:

chrisfromthevalley

Reaction score
4000D is the one or 6000D
rear drags are ok, but they tend to add weight to the reel but hay ho,