Talking To Yourself Whilst Angling

maceo

Reaction score
Does anyone else find themselves talking to themself whilst fishing? I hope it's not just me!

I don't do it in any other part of my life - only fishing. Perhaps it's the solitude and that there's nobody to overhear you.

I generally catch myself doing it later in the day. I'm busy being quiet at first, but after a few hours it usually starts after a huge missed bite or one dropping off the hook.

It's not just cursing, it's an actual discourse. Quietly and under my breath but proper talking.

"Ooooh...and that was a big one too....would have been fish of the day....I'm going in that same spot again....few more maggots" and so on..

Once the ice has been broken, I don't shutup then. "ohhh what a cr*p cast", "that's better...that's more like it" things like that.

I also talk to the fish, especially while playing them. "Hello, what are you then". I talk 'em into the landing net. "Get in there. Yes!"

Like I say, I hope this is a common affliction and not just me.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Not out loud that I'm aware of, but there's usually that inner monologue going strong. I tend to contemplate my own personal issues and sort them out in my head without real life intruding. Keeps me as sane as I can be.

Simon K

Reaction score
Yes, you're not the only one. ;)

And there's a rather "intense" chap on one of the fisheries I frequent who virtually lives there; when he bivvies up you can hear an almost continual monologue directed at the rats (mainly swearing).

I walked past one morning to see a noose hanging from the branch above his swim.

The moral of this being, if you hear an angler talking to themelves, don't interrupt. :w

terry m

Reaction score
Curses under my breath when things go wrong, but that is about it - no long and meaningful philosophical dialogues I am afraid!

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
you mean its not normal ,i've done it all my life ,i talk to myself (in the first person & third person narative) ,i talk to the fish .i talk to inanimate objects i even talk to my computer or rather in reply to what others have writen ,i say what i'm typing as i type .i even shout at the tv .i used too talk too my imaginary friend but we argued over a girl and he's never spoken to me since.

its good too talk

dezza

Reaction score
I talk to myself all the time, I'm doing it now.

Some of the finest brains in the world talk to themselves. Isaac Newton did it, Albert Einstein did it, Thomas Jefferson did it, even Bat Eared Charlie does it, although I wouldn't say he has some of the finest brains in the world.

Oh and with Bat Ears, its hereditary, because Her Maj does it as well.

Butcherboy

Reaction score
Does anyone else find themselves talking to themself whilst fishing? I hope it's not just me!

I don't do it in any other part of my life - only fishing. Perhaps it's the solitude and that there's nobody to overhear you.

I generally catch myself doing it later in the day. I'm busy being quiet at first, but after a few hours it usually starts after a huge missed bite or one dropping off the hook.

It's not just cursing, it's an actual discourse. Quietly and under my breath but proper talking.

"Ooooh...and that was a big one too....would have been fish of the day....I'm going in that same spot again....few more maggots" and so on..

Once the ice has been broken, I don't shutup then. "ohhh what a cr*p cast", "that's better...that's more like it" things like that.

I also talk to the fish, especially while playing them. "Hello, what are you then". I talk 'em into the landing net. "Get in there. Yes!"

Like I say, I hope this is a common affliction and not just me.

Sounds like you are giving a running commentary :)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I do - but only when a passer by looks like stopping for a chat - being an unsociably Yorkshire man that's the last thing I want.
The scene is generally something like this.
bloke spotted close by walking dog - looks like he might want to stop and chat, me fishing on my own , no one in site for miles
ME turning to my right and saying to an empty space "Bl00dy B^ggering Hell mate, you should have seen the size of that rat that just swam past"
no reply
ME "Yes too right mate, I'll go get the gun - we'll shoot the thing if I see it again"
no reply
ME " Yes mate - got those new bullets, the ones that explode on contact"
Chap with dog is now walking past quickly avoiding making eye contact
ME turning to empty space again "Well if it gets close I'll knife it
Bloke with dog now sprinting in distance - job done

Rasmus Keis

Reaction score
I talk to myself and I also talk to the fish I catch. I wasn't even aware of it, until a couple of years ago I had a conversation (monologue) with a garfish I had just caught. When turning towards the shore (I was in waders 10 meters out) I saw, that 4-5 people had just walked up behind me without me noticing it. They must have heard everything I said to the fish - I'm always very polite to fish, especially those friendly enough to let me catch them. Suddenly I felt embarrassed, had never up until then realized, that I actually talk to the fish.

I still talk to the fish, but now I'm aware of it and also aware of potential witnesses to this behavior in which case I will switch to low whispering or sign language. :rolleyes:

waggy

Reaction score
I often discuss the meaning of life with my dog on the lakeside. I think she kind of agrees with most of what I say.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
It has been mentioned lately that I have increased my Swearing a lot recently :(

Mainly about " Bloody Northene*s " :)

Know Idea why-- Really !!

Bob

akacrush

Reaction score
I thought everyone did this to some degree.

I certainly do, mostly its an internal conversation about the fishing along the lines of:
"was that a tentative bite?"
"maybe I should swap bait/tactics/etc."
"right then, time for a brew/ciggie/****"

But then when I get a fish on I talk out loud - often to the fish, right up to the point of release.

I guess this just goes to show we are all mad buggers :)