Book Guides to waters in UK

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any books which provide information on different waters in the UK, something which gives as much detail as possible, contact details, stocked fish, rules etc etc. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks guys and gals!

G

Ged

Used to have many books on Where To Fish.
Not got any now, but I had books by the AA, Welsh Water did one on their fisheries and I know Northumbria do one. try searching Tourist Information sites or centers. And don't forget the EA site.

M

MarkTheSpark

The best publications are from the EA and the water companies. I have copies of the old AA book and Where to Fish - why doesn't someone revamp them?

C

Colin North, the one and only

Bob Chapman, Secretary of Kent Branch, S & TA, publishes a little book for ?2 which has most of the Kent, Sussex, Surrey and Essex trout fisheries in in with details of locations, contact info etc. Send me a PM, and I'll let you have his contact details if you want one.

keora

Reaction score
Macca, John Bailey has recently published two separate books on where to fish in the UK - one for coarse fishing, the other for Game.

Where I live in Yorkshire there are three good books available. One is the Yorkshire Dales Angler's Guide by Laurence Tetley. The other two are short booklets on river and lake fishing by Mel Hulme.

Where to fish books tend to be privately produced in small batches for local anglers, and are more likely to be sold in tackle shops than bookshops.

You could phone a few tackle shops in the area where you want to fish and see if there are guides available.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies. I get the feeling such books are published for areas rather than a general whole of the UK type. I'm in the Northwest (Liverpool ish) area, but wouldn't mind a little travel further north or south if a water grabbed my fancy. Thanks Colin but I think those area's are a little too far for me, but thanks for the offer. Keith, I'll try and find the coarse fishing book and see what it's like, if anyone thinks of any other books/guides please let me, thanks :0)

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Macca try the enviroment agency booklets I have one here for the north of England ,I am sure they must do one for the midlands as well.I am not sure were I picked this up from as it is 3 years old,but the number given is 01925 653999 its a warrington number so won't cost a lot, give them a try they may be able to help.

keora

Reaction score
A few years ago I phoned the EA and asked for a leaflet on fishery byelaws. What they sent me was a booklet listing day ticket waters in the whole of Northern England, with regional Byelaws inserted in the middle (North Western, Yorks and Humber, North Eastern).

The fishery list was helpful although not comprehensive. Last year I read in the EA magazine (Catch) that the list of fisheries had been updated. It may even be available on the EA website. I suggest you phone your local EA office or look at their website.