How did you get ''into'' fishing?

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Blimey it is still on here! Here's how I started

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:17 ----------

Ah, the slight problem is that there's only one page of it. If there's sufficient interest we can always persuade Ian to repost it.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
loke most I'd guess

Net and jam jar for sticklebacks, and "Red Bellies" not sure what they were but highly prized, then my father dug and old rod and reel out of the shed and took my to a small pond catching roach. I when every week for years

I took up rugby and cricket and fishing was forgotten for a many years

THen my son wanted to try - not sure why - bought him a cheap starter set - he didn't take to it - I found then bug had never left really - now back to it as a full time hibby - well the cricket and rugby are a younger mans game

Windy

Reaction score
I have no idea.

No-one in my family ever fished before or since.

An Irish uncle did some [FONT=&quot]poaching[/FONT] trout spinning and pike plugging but I only ever met him once for an afternoon when I was about 9, had no conversation with him about fishing and he never offered to take me. Though I do seem to remember reading through an early Shakespeare tackle catalogue he had left lying around and being fascinated by the pictures of the various lures.

I just knew it was something that I wanted to do and pestered my parents until they gave me a christmas present of a completely unsuitable but absolutely loved and cherished rod and Black prince reel.

Then fuddled around entirely self-taught from what I could glean from books of the "encyclopaedia of everything you need to know about fishing" type from the local library, making a complete pigs ear of it all.

I finally I met up with a new boy at our school, Dave, recently moved into the area, who actually had some idea how to go about it (though not a great deal more than me in retrospect).

And thus began the years that the local Gudgeon still remember as the time of the terror.... :cool: Eventually graduating to catching some not too entirely unreasonable stuff. Including my first 2lb plus roach at age 14 (2lbs 2 1/2ozs to be precise) ;)

I still remember the feeling of sitting down on the river bank shaking and staring at the top ring of the keepnet, scarcely believing what lay within. And my mate Dave bicycling 5 miles home and then 5 miles back with his Mother's balance scales and precision weights in his rucksack to weigh it absolutely precisely. You don't forget mates who come up trumps at a moment like that !

Just wish I could find the one and only photo taken at the time. But then again it lives on in memory in my inner eye for as long as I ever live.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
@ Mark,good thread....i was brought up on a country estate,dad and grandad were gamekeepers so shooting and fishing dogs and horses were all i knew.from a young age i could strip a shotgun down and clean it and load cartridges.In the evenings we all fished the lily covered lake for anything that swam,i still fish it now and again just for the memories evoked.I put away the guns for life but will have a rod and reel and a quill float in my coffin with me:).

I mate,
same here, had to get rid of my beloved beretta 682 gold E when I split from the ex and needed the cash! Doubt If I will ever take up shooting again (my dad was never keen anyway, always been a ''dog and ferret'' man himself...lol!) but you never know, if I win that 15mil tonight I might just by me this nice house up the road in 16 acres and its own beat of the ribble, a snip at 2.5mil...Well we can dream, can't we!

mark

craggrat

Reaction score
Went with my mates. We would bike it to L pond at the powerstaion barnby dun. Doncaster. That's going back 45 yes.
But we where just messing about, never really caught much. My first fish was a pike about 4 lb..
But I'm retired now and taking it up. Main problem is the weather don't like the cold.

watatoad

Reaction score
I was very very young I was on a walk across a park with my grandmother and saw some children catching fish with net to whops of delight, although I had no idea what they were doing when I first saw them but it looked fun, after that you could not stop me watching tiddlers and sticklebacks swimming around, later I too got a net but felt it was wrong and started asking questions and it has not stopped since...hehehe

mick b

Reaction score
Started age 4 on the Grand Union at Pitstone with a handline for gudgeon while my father and uncle used 'real' tackle for bream.

First used a rod on Wilsone in the very early '50s where we took 1lb+ roach home for the table.

Graduated at 8 to pike at Cosgrove, in the days when the disabled bailiff used a cross-country motorised wheelchair (anyone remeber those days??) and took lots of small ones home for dinner.

Finally cracked the art of paternostering minnows on the upper Ouse with grilled fillets of Perch for tea before I was ten.

Learning to fish was exciting in those days and I enjoyed eating some of the fish I caught even if most of them tasted dreadful. :eek:mg:

That's why I laugh at all the posts attacking 'the East European fish killers'.