Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How did you get ''into'' fishing?

I am interested in the way people got into fishing.
    I started when I was about 6 when my uncle Colin used to take me ''tadpoling'' and ''newting'' down at the local pit lagoon (the best fishing for miles I have been told!) It started me on the road to my fascination with aquatic life and ultimately to fishing (it was my uncle Colin that bought me my first rod...a little six foot job!) It still gladdens my heart when I think back to those wonderfull days...must be suffering from a mid life crisis!!!!

mark

2. Default Re: How did you get ''into'' fishing?

my dads best friend taught me all i know about fishing from about age 6 he took pitty on me using my mums washing line prop and took my down the river thame and started a great passion that took over my entire life until i was around 18 and still plays a massive part in my life today

Default Re: How did you get ''into'' fishing?

My Grandad took me and a cousin, both aged three, in the boxes of a carrier bike, to the local Keadby canal. I think our Mothers had told him to drown us but he taught us to fish instead. I'm still going strong but my cousin never took to it.

2 of my mates have always fished and although they had stopped going as much i begged them to take me one day as i`d overheard them planning a day somewhere,first time i went i borrowed a rod,they set up a waggler for me and my first fish was a small tench...second trip was a baptism of fire on the river severn at bewdley for barbel...again using a borrowed rod,the three of us fished maggot feeders and i caught a few small roach and my mates caught a chub or two.That was about 5-6 years ago now and i have been hooked ever since! ...i still go with one of these mates on most of my fishing trips and although he showed me the very basics i do feel like ive taught myself from books ,magazines and from the web.

I just fancied it for some reason. No one in my family is an angler but my dad had a period where he'd enjoyed tying flies but didn't actually use them. A friend had tried, unsuccessfully, to get him to fish. He did inherit some old tackle from someone. It included a Sealey Black Arrow 2 rod and Abu 505 reel. I was given these rather than anyone going to any expense. My Grandparents had a caravan right next to the river Lune, a small Tees tributary. It was a safe place for an eight year old to wander up and down the river to my heart's content. I floundered around without any instruction other than what I gleaned from books and magazines. I caught a lot of minnows until I thought to use a minnow as bait and caught myself a brown trout. From that start I ended up going with school friends and have never given up since.

My dad took me to the Thames at Pangbourne when i was about 10 and i caught a small skimmer on a quill float. He didnt fish anymore, and was pretty ill so couldnt take me much. Also remember fishing Thames at Canbury Gardens about that time when i first used a leger. I think it took me about four years before i caught anything that needed a landing net. By then i was going everywhere on the Thames I could get to by train or bus, as my dad had died. I was also invited along by friends from school whose dads would take us by car - luxury. First netter fish - a 2Ib chub on the Mole at Hersham in the snow when me and a mate went fishing on a day when we turned up at school to be sent home because the boiler wasnt working. Great day!. Fishing was everything until i got to about 19 years old. Its been fits and starts ever since, depending on how much time i have to devote to it.
    Last edited by chub_on_the_block; 04-12-2011 at 11:06.

When I was 14 my dad thought it would be a good idea for us to do something together and we agreed on fishing.

We had no idea where to start, but a trip to the local tackle shop resulted in a shared 12ft fibreglass rod, mitchell 300, 6lb line, s16 hooks, float assortment, shot and a pint of maggots (ledgering wasn't mentioned and was something we discovered later).

The local river was the Wharfe where we caught minnows and Gudgeon for the first few trips, but after a bit of research plus some help from anglers on the bank, one day we caught a couple of trout that actually bent the rod. The rest is history.

STEVE

Dad started taking us (four lads) as a result of my parents divorce, he'd never bothered before that. He must've thought that if he was paying maintenance he should possibly spend more time with us. The only good thing he ever gave us...I'm not bitter...??!!

It was my dad. He was a keen angler and having the Lea at the bottom of our garden in Broxbourne until the age of four fishing was the natural thing to do. At the age of four moved to Ruislip in 1952 and with the Colne and Frays on our doorstep, together with the Colne Valley pits I didn’t need much more inspiration. I had the same pleasure teaching my son to fish, unfortunately my father passed away soon after my son was born so never went fishing as a threesome.
    Jerry
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

I was about 10. Went round my best mates house one afternoon and he and his Dad had all their fishing gear out having just got back from a trip. I was fascinated and became such a nuisance that they eventually took me along. Thames at Laleham in January & we never had a bite but that was it...I was infected.

First fish a skimmer from the cutting @ Little Britain [Jerry...you will know the place] but it was not until 3-4 years later that I had a fish over 1lb in weight.I've taken both my kids fishing & they've enjoyed it but shown no inclination to take it up. I'm kind of glad in a way....it means fishing remains "mine" and though the family do show a bit of interest its really only politeness.Mrs S has long since accepted that this is what I do so I'm left alone to get on with it which is nice.
    Last edited by S-Kippy; 04-12-2011 at 12:29.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast