Intuition

R

Rodney Wrestt

After a day at a local stillwater a couple of friends and I were discussing bite indication and got onto the subject of getting in tune with the venue and predicting a bite. You know...that feeling you get, it can be after hours or minutes on a venue when you get that calm wave wash over you and you turn your attention to a particular rod seconds before you see an indication, your hand is already hovering over the rod before the float dips or the buzzer beeps. What are your experiencies of this phenominon, do you think you can explain it. Is it a sixth sense we develop or something we unlock while relaxing on the bank?

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
I know what you mean, sometimes it can be pretty spooky. I have sometimes struck into a fish and afterwards not really remembered seeing or feeling the bite. It's probably soemthing to do with experience, knowledge of waters, times of day when when expectation is higher I guess.

But it also works the other way round. Many times I have spent several biteless hours concentrating on the tip or float, then turned around to get something or other and the rod has been nearly pulled in while my back is turned.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Yeah Dave,
I've had that happen as well... turn to make a coffee or worse still the cup is balancing on the knee and as you pour in the milk the tip goes round and the cup empties over the legs.

M

Michael Hall

Last year I remember when fishing the feeder I had a wierd feeling that something was there and it wasn't registoring and after three minutes I struck into it, there was no bite indication and sure enough there as a 7lb common on it! Also like rodney the next cast I had I was pouring a cupp of tea and from the corner of my eye I saw the reel spinning and line being striped from the reel I struck it and my rod kept on bending and it got away might of been my biggest but I`ll never find out!

M

Michael Hall

It cant be experience Ive been fishing since the age of 8 up till now (i`m 15), not enough time for me however some of you guys then should be World champs!!
Sorry

S

Steve Burke

One example of this I recall vividly was when fishing for perch with my old mate Nigel Witham. The conditions couldn't have been worse - a cold, sunny December day. We knew we had little chance until dusk, but then you can't catch sitting indoors!

Suddenly, I came out of my daydream. The hairs on the back of my neck started tickling. "Nigel," I said, "I'm about to get a run". Nigel's curt reply was something along the lines of, "Don't talk rubbish, there's absolutely no chance for ages, get back to your dreamworld!"

No sooner than he'd finished when the buzzer went!

But it wasn't mine, it was his! Nigel's bait was just a few feet from mine, and the jammy git had done it again! The perch turned out to be our first 3 pounder.

This happened 20 years ago and was the first of several such experiences. I don't get them very often and I usually have to work for my fish the same as everyone else. Of course, it could have been down to accumulated experience; it could just have been that I subconsciously noticed a slight change in conditions.

I do occasionally however get hunches. I get drawn to a particular part of the swim, especially when I've been at a water for a while and perhaps got "in tune" with it. Or I may get a hunch to fish a particular venue, even when "logic" tells me that this is all wrong. Unfortunately it doesn't happen at all often. Once again it may be down to experience. But I've learnt from experience never to ignore these hunches!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Article about this thread here:

<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=testingsp&v=1&UAN=1584>'Sixth Sense - Or Common Sense?'</A>

K

Kevan Farmer

If things are slack I usually say it's time for a cuppa. I don't have any special 'awareness' it's just sod's law that when I pour a cup of tea my chances of catching seem to go up. However, strangely it doesn't occur when I need to answer the call of nature.

Kevan

R

Rodney Wrestt

Graham,
Just read the article and as usual it was excellent, however I hadn't seen it before and the thing I find curious, even in your own words along with all the posts in this thread so far people describe feeling or sensing a change or predicting an occurrence which would indicate a subconscious or sensory change. This is something that in my opinion is not learned but is developed, but not intentionally or consciously it just happens because at that time when we access it, it's because at that particular moment in time it is necessary, but only in short bursts and can't be forced or it can be like trying to remember a dream?you know?? it's there just out of reach you can almost see it and no matter how hard you try to reach out for it there's an uncloseable gap between consciousness and dream state, but when you relax and let your mind drift off or think about something else, BANG it's there in vivid colour and Dolby stereo surround sound. I don't think that common sense is part of it, as you say this phenomenon can mean we turn our back on rolling fish and head for the other bank, common sense would tell you cast to the rolling fish or under the over hanging tree, something else says "No, just wait and we'll see"

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Couldn't have put it better myself Rodney.

C

Cakey

There's a name for it
its called coincidence !!!!!

nice piccy murray

CAKEY

R

Rodney Wrestt

Cakey,
I think that one person experiencing this a couple of times is a coincidence, however a large group of people in different circumstances, on different venues, at different times, throughout the years is a little more than that in my oppinion.

C

Cakey

its not a large group its a few out of 6 million fishermen which makes it coincidence.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Murray,
My son <ahem> makes me watch the WWF (wrestling) and one of the wrestlers uses WHOOOOOOOOO as his catchphrase, when he comes down the ramp 20,000 people yell WHOOOOOOOO.

Cakey,
I and others feel it is not, there are two threads on this same subject and Graham has an article and made referance in a book on the subject along with others who have mentioned it in articles in various mags. I guess you have never felt this phenominon or maybe you have and just dismised it, I think it would be a large percentage of the 6 million who have felt this at some time just because they don't all have access to this site doesn't mean it doesn't happen. What part do you feel is coincidence? is it the description of the feeling of sudden alertness and anticipation, or the focus falling on a particular rod in the set up.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I've got muddled now.
Thought I'd already done this bit, must have been on a different site!

Anyway, (Knowing when something is about to happen).
It's called lots of things aint it?
De-jevu
Preomonition
sixth sense
My wife tells ya.

I get the (I know i'm gonna catch) thing, only when i'm on my own, and not that often.
But if ther's a ghost about I'm your man.
I can sense these horrible entities from the moment they want to have a go on me. (Ruins the night fishing).

C

Craig w

I understand what everyone says about "that feeling" you get, then you look up and you get a bite.

.........Or is it that you switch into fishing mode with all your attention on the water for movement and you are looking far more times to see if there has been just the slightest movement than you are aware of, and soon enough you look up and you get a bite..

??