Holding perch by the jaw?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I've had a bit of a float around youtube this evening. Started with drop shotting, moved around, as you do, ended up watching videos of decent perch being caught in various European countries.

What struck me was the way, in each case, that the fish was held. None of this U.K. dodging the spines and gill covers business. A small fish was simply held with the thumb in its mouth, a finger underneath. Larger fish were held in the same way but with the other hand supporting the weight of the fish, underneath it.

These were all catch and release videos and I'm quite sure the fish came to no harm. A related species, the freshwater bass, are always held this way, over in the states.

Why not in the U.K.? Do you think holding perch and similar fish in this way could cause them harm?

soffit

Reaction score
Seems a sensible way to hold. Avoids the spines and gills too. How do they hold it to take the hook out though?

mol

Reaction score
It's a fairly popular way of handling perch with the UK lure boys

terry m

Reaction score
I would quaestion the need to hold a perch in such a way.

Perch are not slimey, their scales allow a good purchase to be made without applying excessive pressure to the mouthparts and with nil risk of coming into contact with the spines.

I can only conclude that some people think that this practice results in 'good' photos!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you turn the fish upside down it disorientates it and the fish remains still for up to two minutes whilst you get the hook out, so I've found.

Err, how does the fish know when the two minuites are up then :w