Float Joke...

soffit

Reaction score
Just got an 'Ultra Avon' with 4bb printed on its side, which is one swan shot? With two Swan shot the body is still partly out of the water. Added an SA now half the tip is showing. That is 4.4g not 1.6g. Am I missing something? Is it just to cock the float or something like that?

Ps: I have a very deep jug to test my floats in a scientific way!

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:03 ----------

I was using a slim-tip waggler as a trotting float today; just tagged it both ends. That was marked 4bb too. Once a small shot had been added to stop the float shifting it sat perfectly with just the slim tip showing.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just got an 'Ultra Avon' with 4bb printed on its side, which is one swan shot? With two Swan shot the body is still partly out of the water. Added an SA now half the tip is showing. That is 4.4g not 1.6g. Am I missing something? Is it just to cock the float or something like that?

They are big old floats for their ratings. I have a few and the ratings on the side are usually a fair bit under and, probably due to variations in balsa, a bit on the variable side too. However, I've not got one that's quite that far off. There's always a chance that they managed to mislabel a few and you got one.

beerweasel

Reaction score
Might have something to do with shot not being Lead anymore (same size different weight ).

beerweasel

Reaction score
Are you sure ? Shotgun BBs are the same size(0.18 inch) regardless of what
material, Lead (50 per oz) Steel (72 per oz).
I haven't noticed shot getting bigger, maybe I'm wrong (it has been known).

Ray Roberts

Reaction score

When we were forced to use lead free shot the manufacturers kept to the same weights and upped the size of the shot to compensate for the new materials being less dense.

Maybe 4BB on the side of the float means; Four Big Barstards.

soffit

Reaction score
Tried it today and with the trace/hook/sweetcorn which I hadn't used in the jug. It sank just below the surface but no more. Because of other things to do only had an hour so just changed the SA TO AAA and the float was its normally perky self.

I'm fishing a river only 25' across so even a heavy float set-up such as this can be laid gently. The weight/inertia makes it a breeze to keep the float in the same run and, given nicely balanced shotting, is it that much less sensitive that a lighter set-up? My only proviso so far is that if you miss a bite the larger outfit causes more disturbance.

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

Floating line? Yer, Bayer Perlon. Thanks to a thread on here. I found some at Quickstrike.co.uk. Not the slickest but It arrives eventually:)

mol

Reaction score

I've got a tub of what I think is lead shot in front of me now, it certainly different to shot sold in the UK and it wasn't bought in the UK.

AAA - .77g
BB - .54g
2 - .24g
4 - .16g
6 - .1g

laguna

Reaction score
All floats made should be individually tested and accurately printed on the side.
There are just too many variables and variations on a batch by batch basis, differences in material densities, finishes and machine tolerances...

watatoad

Reaction score
I have just got an old tub of BB shot pure lead dinsmores supersoft and a tub of new lead free BB shot. Not a surprise the BB are exactly the same size just the new lead free rubbish does not weigh right. Bring back the real lead, they let thousands of gallons of sewerage be tipped into our waterways, recently we hear urban myths or stories of Eastern European eating swans yet us law abiding British are penalised for what and for whom. I am getting really fed up with it all.

laguna

Reaction score
recently we hear urban myths or stories of Eastern European eating swans yet us law abiding British are penalised for what and for whom. I am getting really fed up with it all. __________________
They were caught catching ducks out of our park pond!

sam vimes

Reaction score
All floats made should be individually tested and accurately printed on the side.

Can you imagine how much the damned things would cost if they did!:eek:

There are just too many variables and variations on a batch by batch basis, differences in material densities, finishes and machine tolerances...

I guess that's why some manufacturers like those all plastic floats so much. I'll be they are so much less hassle.

laguna

Reaction score
Can you imagine how much the damned things would cost if they did!
Very easy to automate it Sam.
Hydrometer testing in a flow-past system using a series of sensors which read the many height variations.
Downline digitalised readers can then lazer or spray print each one individually.
Admittedly there is a cost association but any serious manufacturer worth its salt could implement this as the cost per unit would be negligible.

mick b

Reaction score
All lead fishing shot sizes are the same as shotgun pellet sizes, and were produced in the shot towers that produced shotgun pellets.

Ever wondered where swan shot got its name from?
Because it is the optimum size for bringing down a flying swan.

The country name for a swan is stallion goose, because you should not kill a swan but can kill and eat a goose.

Everyone knows that swans are 'the queens bird', but have you ever wondered why? :wh

sam vimes

Reaction score
Admittedly there is a cost association but any serious manufacturer worth its salt could implement this as the cost per unit would be negligible.

Sorry, you might just as well ask me to believe in fairies. Whether by hand or machine, the costs would be passed on to the consumer. I'd bet it wouldn't amount to a few pennies per unit cost increase to the consumer. Such things never do.

laguna

Reaction score
images
"REAL" Cottingley fairies less than 3 miles from my house :D

soffit

Reaction score
I won't go that far as individual testing as that is silly but a reasonable ballpark figure doesn't seem an unreasonable ask. I bought a 3AAA rated one at the same time... god knows what that will need to cock it? A small can of baked beans?

Last edited:

redfin123

Reaction score
I dont have a problem with floats, I make all my own. crow quill avons, goose quill avons, peacock avons ,peacock wagglers and so on. all made and tested at home so I know exactly what weight they take. Not only is it cheaper to make your own floats, it is a good hobby on those freezing winter days when you cant get out fishing. It is also very rewarding when you catch fish on floats you.ve made your self.

soffit

Reaction score
I dont have a problem with floats, I make all my own. crow quill avons, goose quill avons, peacock avons ,peacock wagglers and so on. all made and tested at home so I know exactly what weight they take. Not only is it cheaper to make your own floats, it is a good hobby on those freezing winter days when you cant get out fishing. It is also very rewarding when you catch fish on floats you.ve made your self.

Yer to that. Onetime you made most of yer floats. I used to make double-jointed plugs for pike fishing. Losing one broke yer heart rather than just costing a fiver:)