Vacuum flasks.

A

alan whittington

Right ladies and gentlemen,opinions please,ive had several stainless steel flasks,all of which dont hold a candle to my old glass inner Aladdin 1ltr,which holds the coffee hot enough to be of use,after i get home,which when i make it up at 5-15am and get home at after 6pm,is pretty good....trouble is,although i have a spare,aladdin seem to have discontinued this flask(ive seen some in a couple of outlets on the net),i cant see the point in buying more until needed(until i break one),so whats your view,any good s.steel flasks that hold their heat like my oldun(the one im using is 9 years old),cheers Alan.:guinness:

BarryC

Reaction score
There realy is only one in my opinion, Stanley.
I like to ring the changes so I take a box with coffee, tea bags, milk powder, bovril cubes etc.
The Stanley after warming up and then filled with boiling water is hot enough to make tea after a long cold day.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Alan: In case you missed it this subject was discussed at some length not too long ago....Needless to say I cannot remember the Thread title but someone will know.

I have two stainless steel 1L flasks from John Lewis that do a good job for trips up to 6 hours or so, but once one is two thirds empty it tends to cool rapidly hence the need to take another that remains hot until needed. I only ever fill them with hot water but I'm sure they wouldn't last for 12 hours....

I've often thought of buying a known brand like Aladdin on the basis 'you get what you pay for' but my JL jobbies will last for years..............

I'll be interested to see what replies you get!

ps In winter I tend to wrap my flasks in tea towels which helps a bit.

The 'Stanley' sound good...........

BarryC

Reaction score
Forgot to say about the Stanley, they come with a lifetime guarentee.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm a total tea addict. I dread to think how many cups I drink a day but whenever I went fishing it was coffee because the cheap flask's I had just weren't up to it. So I stopped messing about and bought a proper top of the range ss flask by Thermos. Absolutely brilliant. I think the one I bought [The Rock] is discontinued now but I do think it is worth paying more for a top of the range flask. I fill mine with boiling water & make perfectly respectable tea all day long...yes it loses a bit towards the end of the day but even the last cup is acceptable. Only downside is that its heavy but frankly if it means I can have a half decent cup of tea I'd carry it if it was twice the weight.

I looked at reviews on the Outdoorsmagic site before deciding which one to get.

A

alan whittington

Hi Barry,i had a Stanley 1ltr,didnt keep it hot (enough),so ebay was the only option for it,but thats not to say two 0.5 ltr ones wouldnt perform better though.Just to say the Stanley flasks are Aladdin's.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
S-Kippy....My sentiments entirely. I often wonder if its possible to drink too much tea?

I also would carry the extra weight just to have a decent cup made on the bank with fresh water. Not top quality by any means as the water is not quiet boiling and I only use teabags but its not too bad at all..

I wonder if 'Which' have ever done any trials......I wonder why someone hasn't invented some form of chemical that might re-heat the flask water from time to time....

BarryC

Reaction score
Hi Alan. Thats not my experience with stanly. When I got mine after a short while it lost heat. I contacted Stanley and they replaced it no questions asked. Been perfect ever since, 3 years now.

A

alan whittington

My silly fault then,as my missus keeps telling me,lol.:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have had several makes of flask and imo you'll be hard pushed to beat thermos. At the moment I have a couple Stanly's and a thermos and I prefer the thermos. The thermos is 1 ltr size and was less than a tenner in Asda.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
S-Kippy....My sentiments entirely. I often wonder if its possible to drink too much tea?

Absolutely not in my opinion.Wonderful stuff.

My GP wanted me to have a "fasting" blood test. No particular reason...just that I've never had one & he thought it would be "good" to have results on file.

"What's that mean then ?"

"Nothing to eat or drink after 1000 pm the day prior to the test."

"I can have a cup of tea in the morning surely ?"

"No."

"Then forget it".

My legs wont work till I've had two cups. I am totally addicted.

terry m

Reaction score
Absolutely not in my opinion.Wonderful stuff.

My GP wanted me to have a "fasting" blood test. No particular reason...just that I've never had one & he thought it would be "good" to have results on file.

"What's that mean then ?"

"Nothing to eat or drink after 1000 pm the day prior to the test."

"I can have a cup of tea in the morning surely ?"

"No."

"Then forget it".

My legs wont work till I've had two cups. I am totally addicted.

Completely agree. I simply do not function without a couple of mugs of hot strong tea inside me in the morning. Long may it continue.

Coffee? Pah!!

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I have to agree that Stainless Flasks are not a patch on Glass Inners Flasks, but in the last couple of year I have broken 4 Glass flasks.

I rang Thermos to ask why you cannot buy the Inners any more and was told they had too many breakages in Transport ?

They suggested I buy Stainless Steel flasks, to which I explained that they did not keep the drink/food as hot as in the glass inners flask.

They agreeded :(

Bob

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
I now have a Thermos SS flask which does the job for me, although the first time I washed it the valve type pouring mech'm fell apart, I now scew it all together with a polythene bag trapped in the screw on pourer/stopper.

With the last glass flask I had (now lost somewhere on the Lugg) I filled the space between the inner glass and outer tin casing with expanding foam which made it almost break/drop-proof, sadly not fool-proof.

Dennis Martin

Reaction score
I too found it difficult to find a S/S flask that kept drinks/food hot for a days fishing. At this time of year I'm out pike fishing before day light and don't pack up until after dark. The flask I've found best is a Thermos bought from John Lewis for £30.00, expensive I know but they state that it keeps liquid hot for 24 hours. After 12 hours plus in the resent cold weather it's still hot enough to burn my mouth if I'm not careful. On occasions I've forgot to take it out of the car and it's still been warm more than 24 hours later. The one I have doesn't have a fancy top, just a good old fashioned screw plug.

mol

Reaction score
I gave up with flasks and have resorted to a small stove, that way I can have boiling water all day and a choice of warm drinks. By brew kit lives in a small black bucket so it's easy to grap and it really doesn't weigh much.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
mol: Is that a gas fired stove??

I must have a look at the Thermos type Dennis Miller talks about-sounds good!.......Is that a 1 or 1,5 litre Dennis ?

I think I'll have a cup right now but from a teapot!

barbelboi

Reaction score
I also much prefer my beaten up little old kettle to a flask – not used a flask for at least 20 years.
Jerry