Britford

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've never fished Britford but I fancy giving it a go over Christmas. Can anybody give me a steer on how to approach it,bait,tactics etc ?

(pm me for details)

Last edited by a moderator:

Morespiders

Reaction score
I've never fished Britford but I fancy giving it a go over Christmas. Can anybody give me a steer on how to approach
Over the stile and straight on down Skip until you come to the river, dont go any further or you will blame me for getting wet

terry m

Reaction score
Good luck, if you catch it right the roach fishing is excellent. As per earlier post, speak to the bailiff for latest info.

cg74

Reaction score
S-Kippy, in a word: Maggots.

Stickfloat, waggler or feeder, all will catch you plenty of fish, static or mobile, both work but if its up and coloured I'd switch to bread.

Its a stretch of river how rivers should be; plenty of fish of all sizes and a good mix of species.

mick b

Reaction score
Is this a wind-up?

Replies indicate that the Avon is full of roach which is simply not true.

If it was why would the Avon roach Project require our support?
Or the surveys conducted by the EA reveal a complete absence of roach in the Avon?

Forget the high priced club memberships and their out of date 'species present lists' and instead ask for an on-their-water demo of a catch of Avon roach.
Get them to prove they have roach to catch than spend nigh on £200 and prove they are (not) present yourself!

terry m

Reaction score
Membership of the LAA is £43, not £200, unless of course you request a gold plated guide book. And if £43 is still too expensive then day tickets are also available.

I did not read that anyone claimed that the Avon was 'full' of 2lb roach, but they are still there for those prepared to put the time and effort in.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Indeed, a cracking day ticket venue and amazing value if you join the LAA. The roach are most definitely there for those prepared to put the effort in.

The fishery is one of the best value autumn/winter mixed fish venue on the Avon.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
If you travel very light, walk plenty and try different swims you can have an interesting day's fishing here with the dace, grayling and chub. The roach are mainly concentrated in a handful of heavily fished swims, with a few in more out of the way places. As a roach venue it's nothing special though still a chance of a 2lber but Avon roach of that calibre are very thin on the ground - some very successful roach anglers of the past had one or two last season but not from Britford. I wonder when the last time time was when the Avon produced a 20lb catch of roach, or that those responding had such a catch?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Back end of last season I had several blanks but with the help of Stuart and a long walk, I had three nice roach to just over 1:12 (plus a few bits) on punched bread.

The previous year I had a nice "net" of about 10lb/11lb of roach from ounces to just under 1lb. I believe there was a stocking of small roach late 2009 early 2010.

The dace fishing can be really good especially from the carriers on the top end and the main river below the main road bridge.

It is a tough mixed fishery but can be very rewarding, well worth the effort!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm not so naive as to expect to bag up on a water I've never fished before...I shall be happy just trotting a float for a change with the chance of a decent fish or two. Last winter I was obsessed with zander...I still am but I need to do something different.

tesco value

Reaction score
Britford is a fantastic place to fish. Great chub fishing and there is always the chance of a big roach. Good grayling in places as well.