Fishing on the Loire

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
This year I am going to Le Fresne sur Loire, in fact I have a gite which backs on to the river Loire. I have never been to this area and wondered if any members have any info on the river here.

It is about 50 Km upstream from Nantes, and from the photos looks really wide, several hundred metres. Is it still tidal this far up? I know there are catfish in the Loire, but are there any other species, bream carp etc? Are there any French equivalents of this site, or are there any French magazines that I could get, as I read and speak some French, and my daughter is fairly fluent.

I have fished all over Brittany, Normandy, Limousin and the Dordogne, and prefer to fish rivers rather than Lakes. Any info gratefully received

Gary Dolman

Dave Nunn 2

Reaction score
Hi Gary

I will also be off to the Loire in the next couple of weeks, although I'll be upstream near Blois. I haven't fished that far downstream, but I have seen or caught catfish, carp, barbel, chub, loads of bream, mullet, roach and crucian carp.

Hope this is of some help.

Dave

Reaction score
I've fished the Loire, Cher and Indres all further upstream..around Tours.

There is a fabulous freshwater fish aquarium at Montlouis-sur-Loire (just east of Tours)which has a full range of fish found in the Loire system. Some huge cats included.

The Loire does seem to have a real reputation for its Zander. I've caught bream, and roach.

It is a big, big river which is also very shallow in summer...great sand banks in mid river.

get the michelin map out and have a look out for some of the smaller rivers near your gites as well..they're great fun and you'll rarely see another soul.