Fishing a centerpin in the wind...

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mono on a pin, too. As a totally poncy Wallis Caster of more years than many have had bad burgers, I started with mono and rather took exception to braid the first two or three (and only) times that I used it for trying saw my thumb off at the base.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Maybe try it again then Paul? Modern braids have come a long way and lend themselves quite well to Wallis casting and pin fishing. I use 15lb PowerPro on my braid pin - I use this for pike and barbel.

soffit

Reaction score
Got off my arse today. Found a drill bit that fitted the line spools tightly and removed 200 yards of line off the pin. Replaced it with what I guess is half a hundred yards of 3.2lbs of Bayer Perlon. Used the same float I had had such troubles with and much improvement I have to say so thanks for the advice. With hindsight I think rather than just bedding in after landing a fish. the line, if there is enough of it, creates little troughs. Get yer line started in there and it will remain there. I noticed that the line on mine always ended up hard against one side of the reel rather than being randomly laid. I made a point when loading the reel try to get it evenly distributed. After today's session it looks pretty much the same. Another little more forward methinks.

Onwards and upwards chaps and a happy new year and all that guff;)

dnahacker

Reaction score
I wonder how this set-up works for the fish... side or bottom hooking could damage them with so little 'give' in the tackle? Not having a pop. just curious what people think.

i have to say i had my doubts to start... however here is my take on things...

The braid gives a very solid connection, this means that even at the end of a 25yard trot the strike is (assuming the line has been mended well etc) a small flick, there is a cushion in the tip of the rod and a little in the reflo powerline but because the feedback on the braid is so good i find the amount of pressure i put on the rim of the reel with my thumb very intuitive i find playing fish better than with mono and no damage to fish.. i have caught from minnows to large salmon on this set up..

soffit

Reaction score
Came across this today...

[/COLOR]Came across this today...

Written by Paul Whiteing

Even with my limited experience of CP'S there are bits that are a bit questionable. But, in the round , Its the best balanced article I have come across so far. Quite a read mind...

---------- Post added at 17:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

i have to say i had my doubts to start... however here is my take on things...

The braid gives a very solid connection, this means that even at the end of a 25yard trot the strike is (assuming the line has been mended well etc) a small flick, there is a cushion in the tip of the rod and a little in the reflo powerline but because the feedback on the braid is so good i find the amount of pressure i put on the rim of the reel with my thumb very intuitive i find playing fish better than with mono and no damage to fish.. i have caught from minnows to large salmon on this set up..

I have to say the low stretch option is very attractive on the face of it. All the modern lines, braid or not, seem to be going that way. I have some florocarbon I tried on a very small fixed spool which was a nightmare. But, back on its spool and in a darkened place it will have another outing for sure... I noticed recently using mono I got a lot better strike rate using a waggler as a trotting float[ secured each end] than an Avon. The latter, if only the tip is showing, has to get over some resistance of an ever increasing diameter through the water as the strike is made. I wonder if the non-stretch of the florocarbon would improve matters?

Last edited: