Temporary bite indicator....

soffit

Reaction score
I usually trot a float. Occasionally I fancy a bit of ledgering in the same session. What I need is a bit of Bling just on the tip of the rod. Blackish, as most rods are is a test of most peeps eyesight.

I don't fancy paint. So far I have only thought of plasticine in gawdy colours or fixing on in some way that red tubing electricians use to denote a live wire.

What's your solution other than another rod in yer quiver :)

beerweasel

Reaction score
I would just change the tip ring for a threaded one and buy a quiver or
maybe white tape near the end and day-glow magic marker it.

terry m

Reaction score
Electrical sleeving is not a bad idea, but you would have to slit it longways to fit it on then perhaps tape it in place.

Yellow?green earth sleeving would probably be most visible.

soffit

Reaction score
I would just change the tip ring for a threaded one and buy a quiver or
maybe white tape near the end and day-glow magic marker it.

That's hardly a temporary solution is it? Dear Life!! It cost 80 quids a couple of weeks ago. You think I'm made of money;)

I'm sure you can probably get tape but it all the residue to get off when removing it.. it may damage the finish.

Last edited:

beerweasel

Reaction score
Sorry mate, how about Tippex it is easily removed but would have to be applied fresh every session ?

mol

Reaction score
Bit of tin foil wrapped round the tip

Buy a pack of rizla and wrap a fag paper round the tip, you'll be fine if it doesn't rain:)

soffit

Reaction score
Tippex is neat but foil could be very convenient indeed. Both would have to be against dark water. Will try a bit of foil tomorrow. Cheers Chaps. Anymore good ideas?

---------- Post added at 22:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

Electrical sleeving is not a bad idea, but you would have to slit it longways to fit it on then perhaps tape it in place.

Yellow?green earth sleeving would probably be most visible.

Slit it and fill it with vasaline? Should stay in place. If its gentle enough fer yer ring after a fine curry nite I can't see it doing the rod finish any harm.

Last edited:

jasonbean1

Reaction score
drennan isotope holders, just swap the isotope for a piece of coloured float bristle, on and off in seconds

little oik

Reaction score
Whats wrong with using one of those quiver tips which attach down near the butt.They clip on and off . Cannot remember the name though .Kombat seems to ring a bell as the maker .You point the rod directly where you arr fishing . Side winder or sweepfire I think they are called .Not as cheap as tinfoil though.

soffit

Reaction score
First out of the blocks is PTFE tape. Cheap, convenient and gentle. Brilliant call if it works. And, like tinfoil, I've got some in the house! Just wrapped a rod tip and left it out in the rain to see what, if anything, happens. Will check if its as easy to wrap in the rain later. Its a very white tape so contrasts well with the rod. Done in a couple bands the tip should visible whatever the background.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Touch ledgering for me as well BUt only when it's mild! I don't think it can be bettered after dark.......

beerweasel

Reaction score
Slightly off theme but it's years since I've seen anyone using a swing tip.
Does anyone still use them ?

nicky

Reaction score
pinched some of the kids glow in the dark paint a few years ago for the tip of my float rod for ledgering for chub after dark worked perfect still on there now