The great River Rod Race!

chav professor

Reaction score
I don't know what it is about this time of the year, but I get a sense of urgency. It seems that the end of the river season is fast looming and I want to take every oportunity to make the most of the last few closing months of the season.

does anyone else get that frantic feeling and expectency of a the looming close season - or is it too early?

sam vimes

Reaction score
You aren't alone. I'll have leave in for March and I just know that I'll end up on the banks whatever the conditions. Chances are I'll have missed out on going on better days from November through February. It's not logical or remotely sensible but I know it'll happen regardless.:eek:

cg74

Reaction score
does anyone else get that frantic feeling and expectency of a the looming close season - or is it too early?

Normally it hits home on March 1st, then often I'll be river side for at least 12 days out of the last fortnight, regardless of conditions.

Then there's that horrible limbo period before the carp and tench get going.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not so much frantic as I spend a large percentage of my angling time on rivers, however I wouldn't exactly say I'm looking forward to the break (now the annual debate........):wh
Jerry

nick dv

Reaction score
Not so much frantic as I spend a large percentage of my angling time on rivers, however I wouldn't exactly say I'm looking forward to the break (now the annual debate........):wh
Jerry

Same goes for me Jerry.

Cheers, Nick :)

little oik

Reaction score
The race doesnt even get to the starting blocks over here .I must be missing out on something Damn:w

mol

Reaction score
No closed season where I live for most rivers :w. Those with a wild trout population are closed for around 6 months of the year

chav professor

Reaction score
I think I am very blinkered really - I rarely if ever fish still waters with the fishing season. They are just something I do when the close season descends on the rivers.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I used to be the same. Then signals,syndicates & cormorants appeared and I lost the access,desire or reason to fish all my favourite bits of river. My fishing time is limited and I just can't do everything I want to. The zander have me firmly by the George McCalls at the moment even though the fishing is currently rock hard.

I might try spinning with cheese paste next time !

terry m

Reaction score
I used to be the same. Then signals,syndicates & cormorants appeared and I lost the access,desire or reason to fish all my favourite bits of river. My fishing time is limited and I just can't do everything I want to. The zander have me firmly by the George McCalls at the moment even though the fishing is currently rock hard.

Have the flavoured deadbaits not come up trumps Skippy?

barbelboi

Reaction score

Obviously not tried the Ming oil then Skippy;)
Jerry

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I did try some winterised lamprey oil on my last scramble....not on the baits [which were far too luscious to mess about with] but injected into a foam filled feeder. Looked like the Exxon Valdez had run aground in my swim.The zander seemed totally unimpressed but I just didn't feel I had fish in front of me.I decided that the bait I had ought to be good enough "neat" so the oil test was abandoned for another day.

I moved to an area that I had intended to fish in the first place which I had an inkling might hold a fish or two and managed to winkle a couple out last knockings but I'm pretty sure they were the only zeds caught that day. It is really,really hard going at the moment. The BH zeds are cute enough when they are "on" and they haven't been "on" since about mid November. Its really not fishing at all well this year.

I will persevere with the oils but next time I'm taking a pack of disposable gloves,a roll of kitchen towel,an apron and a bucket & mop. Bloody stuff gets everywhere and boy does it stink !

This will sound pompous but its not meant to. Firstly I am no predator expert [I'm getting better] but there are some proper numpties out there. Some of the gear & methods on display would not be out of place in 1912 let alone 2012. Whole herrings fished under a bung with a single [single] hook in the dorsal ? On a 10 inch bait esox has 9.5 inches of hook free herring to munch on even if he is daft & hungry enough to even contemplate having a go. No wonder some waters [like Bury Hill] have quite strict rules on predator fishing. Not only is it poor angling but I dread to think what sort of handling any fish daft enough to get caught by these dorks can look forward to. Last year I saw a good zed caught [11lb +]...that fish must have been out of the water for a good 10 minutes before it went back and was dropped 2 or 3 times. I'd have slung them off !

Last edited:

Carlos

Reaction score
I have been getting to know some rivers in my new club ..... all very pretty and very small. The Eden and Upper Medway in Kent. The great thing about this time of year is you can take a little spinning rod and explore the whole beat. But I admit I am going to seriously miss them, but that'll make seeing them on opening day something special.

After the break you can snuggle into the bankside veg, knowing the shape of the best swims/pools. Also having a much shorter time on the Bank im winter gives you the post twighlight time testing out local pubs.

Now my little club surpasses in everything as far as rivers concerned, small which I prefer, beautiful locations ........ I mean how many other clubs can boast 4 castles on their river beats! Also some amazing pubs ........... well we are in the heart of Kent, what would you expect after all.