FishingMagic chat room

J

James Bradshaw

In another thread posted recently, the topic swung round towards the possibility of a chat room here in FM Forum.

As a regular frequenter of chat rooms over the past few years, I'm aware of the advantages and drawbacks of this facility - what do you, the regular visitors, think of this idea?

M

Mike Parker

NO chatrooms! At the risk of upsetting someone (or perhaps lots) chatrooms are for sad o's with annoraks and dufflebags. There are chatrooms all over the place, so if you want to chat use one of them!
I am all for change/continual improvement but I love Fishingmagic just the way it is.

S

Stephen Mc Cormack

Sorry I don't see the need as the forums are prompt enough, and are a useful store of information, a chatroom for special one off's might be a good idea, but why change the daily way we use this site I think it's perfect the way it is.

A

Alan Fawcett

you could always set one up on paltalk.

Its just like using the phone, all you need is a microphone & speakers.(if you haven't got a mic its not a major problem cos you can still use text)

www.paltalk.com

A

Alan Fawcett

oooo before i forget
Mike

This "saddo" has made a lot of friends all over the world along with invitations to go & stay in their homesto sample the local fishing.

I've also recieved presents from people & believe me half the stuff i've been sent is years ahead of anything we've got over here (my local tackle dealer hasn't even heard of spinner baits).

The funniest part is when i send them stuff they think its new & advanced but we've had it for years & would class it as outdated (i sent a set of big S's to an austrailian & he was shocked that they looked so realistic & can't wait for them to be released down there!!!)

If you look at it in a different light these forums are nothing but a chat room really are they?

(oh & i don't wear anoracks or use duffle bags just ask that little squirt Rik)

C

Cakey

Me and my mates chat throgh msn messenger whilst surfing around fm.
we often have 4 or 5 way chats going.
could be good now and then.

J

John Pleasance

Being a miserable old git quite happy with my own company I have never felt the need to use a chatroom so don't really feel qualified to comment but I do quite like this site as it is, especially when you see the bitching that passes for threads on some sites.
On the other hand I think an occasional special guest would be a good idea.

B

Birds Nest

I really don't see the need for a chat room on a site with this forum. Its far easier for me to post a question or just a comment, and come back later in the day to see what reply's I've got... Rather than sitting in a room waiting for someone to come in with the answers...

R

Richard Drayson

I'd rather not have a chatroom, even if there was one I wouldn't use it.
I seem to remember that some of the FM list members went down this road about 18 months ago but I don't think it was successful.

M

Michael Hall

just for the record for anyone who wants to have a go at a chatting session just for the hell of it then come along to:
CatchFishing

M

Michael Hall

I dont want to say yes or no to the idea however isn't it worth giving it a go? but if its been tried before then theres no point but there are alot more members since then!!

D

Dave Johnson

There did used to be a chat room available to members through Yahoo fishingline, but it has now ceased to be........Some quite drunken conversations occurred if I remember correctly.

Some of us also have another chatline option available to us-but it doesnt get used much these days as Brummy aint to technical even with Riks help!!!!!

There is nothing wrong with chatlines in my opinion, especially when the majority of people there are like minded anglers-the problems occur when idiots gatecrash but they usually get bored quickly.

As for anoraks-whoever mentioned them, I suppose big Rik, mike Fidler, certainly Brummy ....and probably Barney Knowles as well as Cooperman could be classified under this banner, but certainly not the trendy scousers Eddie (shellsuit) and cheshire boy Stu J....heaven forbid!!!
and as for us perfect North Staffs lads Graham and Jason, well, the nearest we get to an anorak is accepting the post from the postie in the morning!!!!

A

Alan Roe

One of the main objections around chatrooms is that they are too open to abuse by spoilers.
They are very hard to moderate effectively and once a row has kicked off on the chatroom it has a tendency to sour the forums when it inevitably spills over.

As someone who has had to clean up the mess caused by bad relations on chatrooms which have spilled over onto a sites forums I would counsel against the idea.

L

Lee Robinson

I Was Reading The Angler's Mail The other day and saw the article about spring loaded hooks and had split views about them beacuse if your catching for food i suppose there ok but to catch the same fish over and over again surely they would do some damage!

M

Michael Hall

I`m happy with just the forum!
Plus like many others have said there would be arguments!