Has anybody bought ...

• Thread starter ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)
  • Start date

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Sean Meeghan wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I'd have thought that a half decent engineer (as Corker claims to be) would find this sort of discussion stimulating and worthy of a more considered response.</blockquote>

Is he?

My mistake, I had him down as some kind of garden shed 'hobbiest' - busy buying and selling rubber 'O' seals?

My apologies.

I

Ian Cloke

e21 Fishing Rods

"Element 21 Golf Company (E21) develops and markets award winning golf and fishing products made from the Company's next-generation, proprietary Scandium Alloys. E21's high performance products deliver dramatic improvements in distance, consistency, accuracy and feel over the most popular products in the golf and international fishing markets.

Originally developed for advanced aeronautics in jet fighters including the MiG, E21's patented Scandium Alloys provides the highest strength-to weight ratio of any material currently used in sports -- 25% improvement over Titanium, 40% improvement over Graphite/Epoxy, 52% improvement over Aluminum, 70% improvement over Steel. They also provide unique vibration dampening properties resulting in products with unprecedented feel over competing materials.

Only recently has Element 21 Golf Company expanded its product line to include fishing equipment that has quickly secured international recognition by winning several top honors at the July 2007 ICAST, the world's largest sports fishing trade show. The top honor ''Best of Show'' went to E21 Fishing for its Carrot Stix freshwater rod."

Reaction score
I've had a look. There's nowt in Engineers Handbook (23rd Edition) on fishing rods - typical. I think Roark & Young is probably a better bet for dealing with none linear spring mass damper systems.

Remember chaps it all starts with F=ma (very clever bloke that Mr. Newton)

Reaction score
I don't understand how how a material with a roughwer surface finish can have reduced friction????

Greater surface roughness = greater coefficient of friction

Unless the greater roughness is due to a greater porosity and the pores hold a lubricating fluid (this approach is often used on bearings or carbide seal rings on rotating machinery)

So how can this be? Any ideas?

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Where have you got the rougher finish from Corker?

I may have missed somthing?

Reaction score
Mark

It was in teh link put up by Markthespark on page one.

"The strange thing about this rod – and you’ll notice it straightaway – is the matt finish and the rough feel that it has. This is due to the materials used in the manufacturing and, according to the company website, this means that it has reduced friction. Is this true?"

Having re-read this I realise that the review says it has a rougher feel. Maybe this is percieved rather than measured. I'll have a look on the manufactuer's site if I can find it.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Thanks Matt.

It could be true. If you look at the 'ballisics' of different high speed objects, you will find the 'dimpled' surface of a golf ball (which could be described as rough to the touch)will create the least air resistance toa spherical shape - similar to circular profile of a rod blank. It occurs in much the same way as in the pores holding lubricating fluid as you mentioned above. Only this time holding pockets of air, and the subsequent vorticies these create, reduce the total drag on the mass.

I seem to remember we have the great Barnes Wallis to thank for this knowlage, through the development of the bouncing bomb!

Its getting very anal now, all without the help pf Mr Clay! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
If they wish to reduce the air resistance of a rod blank, much greater results would be achieved by changing thethe profile, rather than the surface finish.

The changes (as withones mentioned above) would not be noticable to a casting angler at the speeds envolved. Purely a sales gimic for me!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Mark Hewitt wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

If they wish to reduce the air resistance of a rod blank, much greater results would be achieved by changing thethe profile, rather than the surface finish.

The changes (as withones mentioned above) would not be noticable to a casting angler at the speeds envolved. Purely a sales gimic for me!</blockquote>
A triangular shape?

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Shimano Aerocast rods have oval blanks.

When held in normal fishing position, the blank is firm/stiff action. When held side ways on, the blank has a softer action ideal for playing roach or cruisans.

What the hell this has to do with carrots?

L

Laurie Harper

Going back to scandium, it's been used in high performance bicycle manufacture for a while. It's a form of aluminium alloy. I always understood it doesn't like repeated extreme flexing, whch may rule it out for rods.

Jon Jagger

Reaction score
If this carrot-related material is 15% lighter than carbon and stiffer than carbon then surely someone will be looking into making poles from them?

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Don't the dimples on Golf balls have something to do with increasing distance in flight Matt. Something to do with aerodynamics?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Don't the dimples on Golf balls have something to do with increasing distance in flight "

Absolutely!

Given the golf balls used by the 'greats' versus the young pretender (Tiger Woods) you have to wonder how competitive would Tiger have been using the same gold balls as those used by Niclaus, Palmer and Player?

Back to 'Carrot rods' . . . . . . mmmn, I wonder if they would be better for night fishing than ordinary carbon?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>http://www.sharpes.net/flashfiles/home.html

If the 'dimples' create peaks then line in contact with the blank will be in contact with less surface therefore less friction.</blockquote>
The line doesn't really touch the blank though does it -- It touches the guides

Reaction score
Well that's what I thought ED. But according to the website, that's what it does. I suppose as line travels through the guides on the cast it can contact the blank.

As we are on the subject,

WHERE IS CAPTAIN CARROT THESE DAYS?

We've not heard from him for a while.