Has anybody bought ...

• Thread starter ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)
  • Start date
S

Sean Meeghan

On most fly rods the line touches the rod on the cast. As Matt says the theory of grooves in the line or a 'rough' rod surface is that this reduces the contact area and hence the friction.

This is another example of poor understanding of scientific principles (almost as common as poor English in the fishing tackle trade). Static and dynamic friction is independent of the contact area and is proportional to the contact force between the two objects. Strictly speaking it doesn't depend on surface roughness either.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
As much as I love 'technical intseity' like this, I think the conversation will become very difficult to follow/understand from post to post due to the level of science involved.

My comments earlier regarding the possible areodynamic castingbenifits were based purley on the rod itself. To consider the line contact during the cast adds a number of new dimensions and variablesto the idea.

Most, if not all of which will be of little interest, or have little noticable effect on the angler casting the tackle.

S

Sean Meeghan

Yup you're right Mark. It's mostly bullocks anyway and only of interest to the techies.

Are carrot rods better for fishing bunnie flies do you think?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

As we are on the subject,

WHERE IS CAPTAIN CARROT THESE DAYS?

We've not heard from him for a while.</blockquote>

They've kidnapped him and made rods out of him ..............

He's probably in a rod rack in Sharpes

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

As is usual when a brand new material hits the market place, along come the silly comments from people who do not understand.

On to the material "Curran". It is claimed to be 30% lighter than the lightest carbon fibre material. This, if true, is an enormous reduction in weight, causing an improvement in casting performance that could be not far short of sensational. There is also the inherent strength to be considered.

I am dismayed by the high price of the rods. Obviously caused partly by the fact that they are made in the UK. But hang in there, it won't be too long before the prices come tumbling down as demand grows.

It is logical that fly rods become the first type of rod to make use of the new material. It was the same with carbon fibre. Fly rods are much more dynamic than say carp or barbel rods for example.

There is no doubt that Sharpes of Aberdeen have a potential winner. The rods will compete directly with the top USA names such as Sage and Loomis. And I get the impression that they could be a hell of a lot better.

And mark my words - Mac Wallet will be sporting one in no time at all.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

By the way Sean, the new line - Sharkskin by Scientific Anglers claims to shoot a lot further due to it's "dimpled" finish.

chub angler

Reaction score
Ron does it work along the same lines as a golf ball goes further because of the dimples create less drag?. or is it me being thick again?.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

There is perhaps a similarity. But I have a Sharkskin line that I was using yesterday and there is no doubt that it casts extremely well.

The micro-dimpled finish to the polymer (PVC) used by 3M who make the line, captures water in the dimples which lubricates the sliding connection between line and rod guide. The line shoots extremely well, especially when it is wet.

It's also noisy.

But we are digressing from the main subject of this thread which is the use of nanofibre technology in the manufacture of fishing rods.

In my opinion, nanofibres produced from various types of vegetable matter, will, in 10 years time, be very common indeed. Is this the end of steel? No not really, but it could very well see the end of steel for vehicle body parts. And certainly carbon fibre will be a thing of the past.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"The line shoots extremely well, especially when it is wet.

It's also noisy."

Not to mention that it will strip the skin off of your fingers in a flash if you are not very careful.

I tried it and really couldn't get on with it, so I went back to both Hardy and Greys Platinum lines.

Regarding fly rods that are lighter than carbon fibre, I wonder how much advantage would really be gained?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

In terms of fly rods - lots Peter. Not so much with regards to coarse rods.

Even a minute 5% reduction in the overall weight of the package you wave about in the air when casting will make a difference. But the biggest difference with nanofibres, or so it seems (I have not handled one yet), is due to the fact that this new material has better dampening properties than carbon. It also resists ovality by the sounds of things, resulting in better energy transfer and control of the line.

One of the advantages of split cane is the fact that it stiffens progressively as you bend it. Hollow tubes such as glass or carbon, have a tendency to ovality as you bend them, as a result they become less stiff. The biggest disadvantage of split cane of course, other than taking a set, is its weight.

Sharkskin will certainly skin your fingers if a fair size trout decides to open the throttle.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Sharpe's sent me a prototype carrot rod last year, must admit they are very good, very tippy, responsive, if you get to use one Ron you will love it.

PS. The wife cooked mine for Sunday dinner whilst I was out, Sharpe's sending another next week

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The trouble with spiders is that you don't know when he's taking the p**s or being serious.

So how did you manage to fiddle a sample? (if you managed to get one at all).