Has anybody bought ...

• Thread starter ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)
  • Start date
E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The fishing rods made from carrots that Ron was eulogising over not so long ago?

Deanos

Reaction score
Funny you should ask that ED!

I thought rather than forking out for one (I am a Yorkshire lad after all is said and done!) I would have a go at making one myself.
The problem is of course that it is very hard to get hold of a 13ft carrot, so I opted for a pocket spinning rod made out of a carrot as 5 to 6inches seems to be a reasonable average.
Unfortunately, after hours of carrot whittling, whilst I went for a pee, my auntie Kathleen grabbed the piscatorial root vegetable, chopped it up a bit and chucked it into the casserole for tea, so we shall never really know if it could have handled a hard fighting pike, anyway the casserole was very nice?so it ended happily.

T

The Monk

I had a Spanish reed rod, what a load of crap that was

B

Bully

Yup, I got one. Put it down for a pee, came back and some sodding bunny had eaten thru it.....

W

Wolfman Woody

Highly unlikely for me too Ed. We have an infestation of rabbits on our fishery now.

Ron's offered to come down and shoot some, but with his dodgy arm he's more likely to his the windows.

E

EC

I'm still waiting for the revelations, which, according to his special judge friend, were going to turn the establishment upside down.

Come on Ronald Mcdonald spill the beans.

G

Ged

I think they were only making fly rods!
Would they replace the rod if eaten by rabbits?

T

Trev 2

The rods were on show at the Scottish Game Fair at Scone Palace,just outside of Perth, over the last weekend. I had a look at a couple of them and gave them a wiggle( nowhere to try a cast) and they look like a fairly top of range rod. Unfortunately(?) I didn't get chat with designers or to see the prices, too many people at the stall and Dom-Management wanted to watch some bl**%y ducks performing.

M

MarkTheSpark

Ron's rods made with carrots have surfaced, though not in Ron's hands. He's 12,000 miles away now, so he's unlikely to get one in the post.

BHut if you want to know about fly rods made from carrots, look HERE

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have been growing my carrot rod, but found it hard to get the eyes in line, and Tesco's are selling them by the bag.

It's always the same when something like this comes along, I bet the farmers start growing them next.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Ron posted about them in the fly section last week --- Sharpes of Aberdeen are selling them <blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Well would you believe it, the subject of the nanofibre rods comes up and only in the last few minutes am I able to give everyone some feedback.

Sharpes of Aberdeen have just launched a range of rods made from this revolutionary new material, called "Curran". It is claimed that they are 15% lighter than any other comparable top end of the market rod. Moreover it is also claimed that they are much much tougher.

The review is done in the Total Flyfisher magazine. What sounds most interesting is the fact that it tends to stiffen up when loaded with high density lines. I am not sure what the reviewer is getting at here but my guess is that he or she is not an engineer. My other guess is that the more dense sinking lines having less air resistance will perhaps cause the rod to load up quicker. This was a property that split caned possessed.

If the rod has this property and weighs so much less than ordinary carbon fibre then maybe, just maybe, Sharpes have achieved the Holy Grail.

The only down side to this whole exercise is the the price of the rod tested, a 9 1/2 foot 7 weight, is £490.00

OUCH!!</blockquote>

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Hahaha! Whatever will they come up with next. It invites the "put it in the stew" response but itappears to besome sort of vegetable fibre and if it is comparable with carbon in all aspects and they could get the price down to a comparable level then why not, but only if those criteria are met in full and it doesn't turn out to be another gimmick that disappears as quickly as it appeared.

S

Sean Meeghan

Typical - you try to start a sensible discussion about biofibre rods and Deanos, Corker and their cronies start with their juvenile quips /forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

It's likely that the fibre/matrix combination is stiff enough to prevent the onset of ovality when highly loaded - hence it's percieved 'stiffening under load' behaviour. I'd have thought that a half decent engineer (as Corker claims to be) would find this sort of discussion stimulating and worthy of a more considered response.

S

Sean Meeghan

He'll now be flicking through The Engineers' Handbook for some suitable technical ripost/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

M

MarkTheSpark

I've been experimenting with biofibres made out of fruit, but it's all gone pear-shaped...

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Try using potato fibre, come complete with eyes.

On a more serious note, the fibre, whether carrot etc should not matter as the fibre is bonded with resins. Surely it is the resins that matter for strength and flexibility?