Natural baits

• Thread starter Paul (Brummie) Williams
  • Start date
P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I'm off barbelling in the morning and my pellets and feeder plug groundbait are made up ready, but another thread has had me thinking about pellets and naturals all day.

I have caught plenty of fish with natural "gathered" or "caught" type baits over the years, my all time favourite being lamprey larvae.

I have to be honest and say at this point i do not know if we can still use them,but know they would catch me fish in a survival situation in the worst scenario.

What natural...either gathered or caught baits do you know of that mother nature provides us with?

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Maggots and grubs are a group of a type of natural bait.....be more specific please!

And pref a bait you can use on the day you want to fish.....you may have to look a long time for casters!!!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Prawns, mate of mine had a barbel and a very big chub on those on the Severn on Thursday and how about elderberries, yes I know roach love them but what about Barbel? Wheat is an old favourite of mine too, I've caught loads of fish on that.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Woodlice?

Caddis Larvae?

Freshwater Mussel?

Silkweed?

Not used any of the above I might add but I have plenty of woodlice in the garden so maybe one day.

Interesting article on this subject Paul in this month's CAT by Steve Sayner singing the praises of worms as an early season barbel bait.

Milo

Reaction score
To me natural baits include the aforementioned, and things like sweetcorn, maize, potato, etc. Basically, anything that isn't processed (in the sense of cheese/boilies/Spam etc.)

Matty C

Reaction score
cockles.. a barbel might take a small piece of squid, then again, it might take a small piece of any fish out there. its well documented that tuna is a great carp addative, I would imagine the same for barbel although dont know for sure, so a smallish lump of haddock or something, presented in the right manner with other baits might work..

F

Frothey

surely one of the most prolific water borne creatures is the shopping trolley?

get a waitrose one if you can ;)

people talk about maggots as naturals, but how many really make it into the water? not often that a badger climbs a tree above a rivey, dies whilst sitting in the fork of a branch, and stays in 1 piece long enough for the maggots to fall in?

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Cockles are a no...at least in my neck of the woods!......lets say you have to leave home with just your rods and gear.....and possibly a digging tool.........but no can opener!!!!!!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Surely a natural bait is one that a fish would come across as part of its natural diet without it being introduced by an angler?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Surely NATURAL is anything formed by nature as opposed to ARTIFICIAL