fishing in SA

M

Martin Scullion

Hi there
I will be going out to South Africa this year and am looking at a couple of days general fishing, I probably be going around Durban & the Eastern Transvaal areas but have no idea what species/methods I might need to know about.

The only thing I do know is that the Vaal river has a huge head of big carp but I suspect that would require a huge prebaiting session and I won't have the time or inclination to do this

Any advice anyone ????

R

Ron Clay

Martin,

If I was holidaying in the Durban area I would be in search of 3 species. Forget carp, In the vast majority of SA water the carp are small and miserable. In certain waters in the Pietermaritzburg area you have some of the largest American Black Bass in the World. I truly miss these fish!!.

Then a little further afield is the Drakensberg area which has some really superb trout fishing. Wild browns and raibows can be found in many waters. In Northern KW Natal is the Joseni Dam which is excellent tigerfish water. I havn't fished in these areas for over 7 years yet when I get the chance I will Email you direct.