What's it worth to you?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

What does surprise me is that given the main names are all so keen to get their sponsors products in print, that they are not volunteering to write articles for the site or that they are not being put under pressure by their sponsors to do so.Not that I would want that I hasten to add.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I accept your apology too Graham ;-)
And no worries Beecy.

I did have the hump but not now, I'm not in the best of moods when I come home after blanking.

So what makes a good article?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"So what makes a good article? "

Strangely Steve, that is one of those things that you easily recognise when you read one, and yet totally evades you when you are struggling to write one!

My own mood is beginning to improve though with the infusion of the last 3 expressos - only another 2 or 3 to go then I'll be back to what laughingly passes for 'normal' these days ;-)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I agree Peter, when I read some articles I feel as though I am "there" on the bank with the writer. Sometimes it just feels I am wading through a dull, bland story with no passion, humour or wit. But that said, obviously every article does not need to be humourous or witty.

I'm not a writer and I don't pretend to be one, but surely if anyone is suffering from writers block, isn't it time to take a break and come back refreshed? And don't beat oneself up over it!

W

Wolfman Woody

"but the actual information side of it is totally free just as it always was and always will be "

Got to disagree with Graham Whatmore here and despite what Phil says I stand by my original statement that 60% (or thereabouts) of sites available do charge to share their information.

A lot of those are the smutty sites and there must be thousands of them, but an awful lot more are society boards or libraries of informationthat have paid a lot for the collection of data and will want to charge for it.

It's no good putting in a couple of key words to Google and when it come up with a few answers you say "Boy, isn't this free internet wonderful." The reason Google has come up with those is because they're the only ones that Google can search. How many surfers actually go past the 2nd page of findings on Google?

Many pages are blocked by careful programming from Google and you will never ever see them. Thank heaven for Wikipedia, a wonderful source, but try Encyclopaedia Britannica! or how about the Oxford English Dictionary, or even Ancestry.co.uk.

Hmmmmmm! Free eh? There are many thousands of others like them, but maybe you will never need to reference most of them. When you do, have you wallet handy.

From my own point of view, I am not interested in being paid one cent for what I do. Sounds patronising, but I do it for Graham whom I have read about for over 40 years now. He's one of the greatest unsung, well apart from his own singing, anglers of all time and it's still surprises me how few modern day anglers have heard of him.

If I got paid, I might start to get threatening emails from Mr Marsbar saying I am a day late with my new article or that I haven't supplied enough pictures with my last submission. I used to write for a magazine and the pay then was p1$$ poor and for the money alone it just wasn't worth it, that was 12 years ago and about ?50 per page.

Whilst I'm at it, I'll answer another question - how long does it take
to write an article? There's thinking time which could run to days, how am I going to frame it and what points am I going to cover in it. That's the creative design element of it.

Actual writing it, I reckon I can easily knock out 1000 words per hour. Checking it for typos, homonyms, and missing words, also that concurrent sentences don't all start with the same word, and that the sentences and paragraphs aren't too long (what is known in the trade as the "Fog Index") making the reading age of the piece around 15 years of age (don't get upset, the Times newspaper has a reading age of just 18.) All this adds about another hour to the article, but hopefully then Graham won't have to do anything to edit it except insert the coding to publish it.

Then there's the pictures, if I need them. Sometimes I have made special journeys or gone to certain venues that I might not have otherwise gone to just to photograph a float in the water or some bait attached to a feeder. That can add hours too apart from the cost of petrol and the fact that I might prefer to be elsewhere catching fish.

I promise you, try it. It's a darned site harder than you might think.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
That was my point Jeff, I know how long it takes.

?50 per page, 12 years ago!...............times aint changed then!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Everyone gets something different from a magazine/website/book

What some people think is a good article ,others find a boring load of dross.
Some people like very descriptive articles whereas others find them too flowery

It all comes down to "You can't please ALL of the people ALL of the time"

And if you think you can I'm afraid you are just fooling yourself

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

God grief I find myself agreeing with Ed! Now that is a new experience for me ;0)

Steve everybody writes in a different way. The Monk bangs em? asap, whereas I leave em? to the last possible hour, as I thrive on the deadline pressure.

Not unusual when we were at University for me to have 3 or 4 essays to write over a weekend to hit a Monday morning deadline. The Monk?s would have been handed in weeks before. But I can?t remember ever not hitting a deadline though.

Fishing article when I feel I want to write one, takes about an hour and a half start to finish, including pictures inserted.

Here?s a tip for anyone writing or wanting to write articles, keep a photo library on your computer. I photograph loads of things when I?m fishing, landscapes, sunsets, rod set ups, flowers, insects, birds, the occasional fish I catch, fish other people catch, action shots, riverscapes, anything I think I may want to use at sometime in the future.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I sort of half agree with you Jeff on the free bit but you know, if you can't find the answer by searching google you just put the question on FM and sure as hell someone will know the answer so it is still free in a way.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

<u>What makes a good article?</u>

From an editor's point of view, one that will interest enough readers to make it worth publishing.

<u>How long does it take to write one?</u>

That's like asking how long does it take to walk to your swim.