Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Two pieces of information have caught my eye in the past couple of days, both from highly respected members of angling journalism:

“The way forward is for those who yearn for the past to create their own on-line periodical. A monthly internet magazine full of informative, inspirational writings, illustrated with great photographs, technical diagrams and fabulous, enthralling, superbly well written stories. Don't try charging for it though or you'll come unstuck...”

“Internet publishing is the future; trouble is, at present, nobody gets paid sod-all in this medium. But bide your time and who knows what may come along? In the next decade I expect to see a well supported/financed subscription-based internet angling weekly, with god knows how many pages of entertaining, from-the-heart copy - plus much less need to play to the corporate trade's 'ads-4-editorial' tune…”

So, is this the future? According to these two luminaries, it appears so. The burning question is how much would you be prepared to pay for this subscription? The monthly magazines will set you back around £40 a year each, one of the weeklies £70 a year. Given that an internet based periodical wont consist of 75% advertorial content, how about £20 a year. Anyone on here willing to pay that……?
    Still not sure what's going on

Nope, not as long as FM stays free.

FM has everything I need and if it doesn't I can ask a question, which I know will usually be answered by the vast array of members that are willing to share their knowledge.

Sorry!
    Should have posted this in 'General', perhaps someone can shove it over there......?

supposing you had to start paying for FM Steve,would you be willing to pay and what would you consider a reasonable fee ?

I wouldn't pay for it Beecy, I'd find another free site.

thats what I like to see, good old fashioned loyalty !!

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one) Guest

Not loyalty --- more like prudence

he's so tight you couldn't hammer a peanut between the cheeks of his arse!

Steve

Do I take it that you are perfectly willing to pay for tackle, bait, tickets, rod licence, transport costs, etc etc for your fishing, but expect to have free access to whatever information you want via the internet? I presume you pay a monthly subscription to enable you to sign up, do you object/refuse to paying that charge too.....?

Graham Marsden (ACA) Guest

There's another route too, that one fishing site has already taken. The site remains free but certain content is subscription only (accessed via a password). So, for instance, if FM had to pay for article contributions then obviously the readers would have to pay to read the articles.

The reader could then decide if if was worth him paying to read the restricted content, bearing in mind that with print media you don't get that choice as you pay the cover price and if half the content is of no interest to you, then hard luck.

Although FM values its contributors and, in my view at least, you often get a better read than you would from a so-called big name, we could, if we became a fee paying site, attract the big names to write for us, to satisfy those who prefer to read such contributions.

My comments above should in no way be interpreted to mean that this is the route that FM is planning to take. Nor should they be interpreted to mean we never will.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast