HELP - split cane rod repairs !

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

You "fiddle" reminds me of somthing.

It would be about 1964 when Tag Barnes joined Sportex in Sheffield. in addition to his normal duties which as far as I could see was general dogsbody, he was given the job of designing a range of Hollow Glass rods with the Sportex label. Later that year, a number of these rods were exhibited on the Sportex stand at the National Angling Show.

Of course **** Walker was there and he came up on the stand. Tag handed him a rod to examine. Walker looked it up and down and said....... "Werrrrl it's glass......"

Walker recently had gone into print to state that glass fibre still had not yet equalled split cane and anyway, who would want to make a violin out of glass fibre? Tag Barnes countered this by saying that perhaps someone should.... it might sound much better!

It didn't take more than a couple years when **** was finally convinced. He had bought a Milbro Enterprise 13 foot float rod, and had designed one of the first lightweight glass fly rods for reservoir fishing. Not long after that he designed a whole range of glass rods for coarse and fly fishing for Hardys, including probably the biggest British made selling fly rod of all time, the 9 1/4 foot #7/8 Reservoir Superlight.

And he told me in a letter that other than a little 8 foot split cane fly rod he had kept for brook fishing, he had either given away or dumped all his cane rods and good riddance too!

The big dumping came I think when he moved from Hitchin to Flitwick! You were lucky to be able to get in at the local jumble sales at that time.

By 1974, of course, **** was into carbon fibre rods. He was the first man in the world to catch a trout on a carbon fibre fly rod!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Peter,

That's 2 1/2 ounces I can blinkinwell do without!

Come on Peter have you felt that old Wallis Avon of your's. It's horrible!!!

I wouldn't try legering a 4 oz lead on the Trent with your old wooden Avon, but I'll bet I can do it with the Wilson...... :eek:)

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

If I had a split cane rod for every time this chestnut has come up I would have as many as Peter!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nigel, oh no you wouldn't :)

Oh yes i would, ;-)

Oh no you wouldn't ;-)

Now, for those of an unbiased nature allow me to quote:

"I?m pretty sure, everyone over the age of six can complete that little aphorism ? Wizard by name ? wizard by nature. In the case of Allcocks? famous Wallis Wizard rod, these words were never more true.

For those poor unfortunates born in the this soulless new Carboniferous period, I should explain that the Allcocks Wallis Wizard was a magical creature of the 1930?s. An eleven foot all-round fishing rod, made in three pieces. The butt was of whole tonkin cane, and the middle and top were made from proper split cane. It was, and is, a supremely capable thing that has an innate fish catching inclination

It was Demus Canning who first pointed that out to me, and he was dead right. Luck, or whatever it is that conjures the fish; it comes as standard free extra with a Wizard"

Now that is Soul!

captain carrott

Reaction score
why on earth would some one want to use a rod made out of runner bean supports.

stick the thing out in the garden where it belongs and get yerself a proper rod man.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
And was it just today that a modern carbon FM Concept sold on e-bay for ?62 - while a lovely old Avocet went for ?219

Thankfully some people still want the old tools of a craftsman.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Flog that Land Rover of yours Peter and get a nice wain, as shown on the picture by Constable. Hitch two gentle dobbins on the front and proceed to the M4

And let the world go by.

You'll be able to carry all you tackle.

Marvin Village

Reaction score
i'd need an avon type rod to hold up my runner beans at the moment, got a garden full, don't think the octofloat could take it !

captain carrott

Reaction score
aye an a ming vase went at auction for thousands but i wouldn't use that for fishing either.

Markfc

Reaction score
Ah but the fish can easily tell if it’s cane and so won’t take the bait. Only problem with any cane or wooden rod is the loose ferrules as the wood shrinks over time. Takes a bit of fixing. Then again anything plastic is just a bin job once it’s broken. Must admit that You get a few wry comments such as the rods older than the bailiff haha they’re sooo funny.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Whatever happened to Captain Carrott?

Dunno, I’ve just had a flip back through and there were a few blasts from the past. Some of the people still post occasionally, some have left and I keep in touch with some of them on Facebook and occasionally fish with them. I haven’t heard of Ed Bibby for a long time, he was a funny very dry scouser. Dave Giddy (Slime) I still fish with occasionally and some of the others too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
How isthat reprobate Giddy, Ray ? Last time I saw him was at Blenheim sharing a very small tent with Clarkey.

He’s good Skippy, going to Ross on Wye with him and a few others next month for a few days. They won’t know what’s hit them, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk