potato

nicky

Reaction score
I read recently that some match anglers were feeding with pellets and using potato on the hook instead of pellets as it stays on the hook better.

they cut the potato into slices, smear coffee granuales on it to give it the colour of pellets then punch it out to the correct shape.

any one on here tried it and if so is it any good.

G

Ged

Not tried matching potato to pellets, but I have dyed and flavoured them. Sliced them and punched pellet size pieces out. Worked to some extent.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Used punched potato on the hook but usually flavoured it with something better than coffee, such as curry, strawberry or trout pellet oil to get around bans. Coffee? Dont want to keep the fish up hyperactive all night!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Potato as a bait has been around for years.

I boil new potato's for a few mins, remove them from the water into a freezer bag, plenty of honey on them and into the freezer until needed.

Had a number of carp and tench on them.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

I have used potato, carrot, swede and meat; meat and three veg :eek:)

I've also used the butchers string from a piece of roast beef.

T

The Monk

Dont want to keep the fish up hyperactive all night!

why not?

nicky

Reaction score
I think the coffee was used for colouring the bait only not for flavouring to make the potato look like the feed pellets, wouldn't of thought it taste's nice but then who knows what fish taste

paul martin 7

Reaction score
but then who knows what fish taste

And yet we as anglers spend millions each year on flavourings.........

john hooper

Reaction score
flavourings, ummmm, i've tried curried meat, garlic boilees,worm extract boilees, results=0 fish. Not convinced and won't be spending on any others.

john

Wayne Beale

Reaction score
hiya,
A friend of mine has recently started to use new potato (from the can)as bait on several commercials and course fisheries in my neck of the woods(Kent).He has had great success with the bait and catches ALL species of fish on them.He normally uses them whole on a hair rig, either float or quiver. He has had carp to 20lb , bream 8.8lb big roach tench chub and even eels.!He swears by them now. He started to use them after i mentioned to him that carp fishing in the 70's was dominated by potato baits(before maddocks and hutchie launched thier books 'carp fever and 'carp strikes back, where they famously disclosed thier hnv baits.....the boilie was born!?)and the spud forgotten.Potatoes are as good now as ever they was and could definately give an edge in these pellet obsessed days. Give em a go,they're cheap too. Chick peas are another brilliant bait. broaden your mind, and dont get blinkered by all the 'in vogue' stuff. You will be pleasantly suprised and handsomely rewarded for the effort........hopefully.

nicky

Reaction score
What i've been thinking of trying is using pellets as feed, then slicing and punching some potato to the same size, put the punched potato in a polythene bag with some fishmeal ground bait and give it a shake about then freezing it to see if the flavour and some of the colour is absorbed, not sure if it'll work but you never know.

Wayne Beale

Reaction score
Slice and punch the potatoes to size by all means, but to try and colour/flavour with 'fishmeal is defeating the 'trial' really. Why not just use pellet? Its a bit like the plastic baits that are available, replicas of the real deal! Why not just use the real stuff? Try the potato on its own first nicky, experiment after.You can also try feeding with potato by slicing and chopping to your desired size. Get a tin of treacle (golden syrup) and use it as a dip, its different and effective.