ever tried a method you couldn't take too?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well mine pole fishing!
Spent £800 (discounted) 0n a maver 16M B21 and god knows how much on terminal tackle and for what. I really tried to get in to it but got fed up with tying rigs etc and found pole fishing to be really hard going, never again!

Mark

mol

Reaction score
I'm not keen on pole fishing either.

I bought a margin pole for fishing commercials and had some nice carp and tench too. I just didn't enjoy the whole experience and as I fish for pleasure I haven't bothered sinced

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For me it would have to be fishing the Bolognese method on deep rivers in both Europe and Scandinavia.

It took me simply ages to get to grips with it for some unknown reason.
Try as I may the continual casting and feeding were so much different from long distance waggler work or trotting a stick float.

I managed it in the end though but that was by sheer determination and practice, practice practice.

Fishing a long whip to hand (8m to 10m) was another method I found very difficult until I was shown "how to" by a good friend who was the captain of the Norwegian National Team.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Lure fishing and anything involving a centrepin. Rarely caught anything but whacking great snags when fishing spinners, plugs, plastic baits etc. Got to grips with fishing a centrepin, landed the intended barbel when trotting and then put the centrepin away to not see the light of day since. I really must get rid of it sometime.

Red Army

Reaction score
Hand grenade fishing :D

Seriously, that would have to be the slider. I find the bolo to be ok though but if a slider is needed then I'd rather give up float fishing and get the feeder rod out.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lure fishing and anything involving a centrepin. Rarely caught anything but whacking great snags when fishing spinners, plugs, plastic baits etc. Got to grips with fishing a centrepin, landed the intended barbel when trotting and then put the centrepin away to not see the light of day since. I really must get rid of it sometime.

Will have to come up and show you the fine art of lure fishing Sam, there is nothing finer than fishing a canal for perch and jacks with small spinners and light tackle...Great modern day tactics with an old fashioned twist!!

Mark

cypryphrenia

Reaction score
Czech nymphing... efficient but totally tedious.....:eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

Why the pin is great fun it keeps both hands busy.........!

dezza

Reaction score
I have tried all sorts of angling styles from trotting a stick float to pole fishing, from chucking lures for large and small mouth bass to surf casting, from boilie fishing for carp to bolt rigging for roach at distance, from uptiding for sea bass to trailing for sharks,
and from dry fly fishing on chalk streams to pulling boobies on reservoirs.

And I have been highly successful at all these disciplines and more. I cannot think of of any type of angling I have not done well.

:w:w:):)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Will have to come up and show you the fine art of lure fishing Sam, there is nothing finer than fishing a canal for perch and jacks with small spinners and light tackle...Great modern day tactics with an old fashioned twist!!

Mark

I have access to a potentially decent stillwater venue now. Just can't summon the enthusiasm to dig out the lure gear.

murv

Reaction score
Pole fishing for me, sliding float and bolt rig/boilie carp fishing

Didn't enjoy the pole at all and didn't even enjoy "playing" the fish when I caught, it just didn't click for me.

Sliding floats I find an immense PITA, constant tangles and it's just so much easier to flick out a ledger! saying that, I will give it another try this Year, I know it's just me and not the technique.

Carping I'm actually quite lucky at. I had a string of decent fish including a lake record common in my first Year of trying it, I just don't enjoy it for some reason.

Frank Elson

Reaction score
Another vote for slider fishing here. I still do try every now and again but I simply cannot get the hang of it.

A

alan whittington

Fellas,slider fishing is dead easy,in fact its one of the easiest methods of float fishing to show someone,its very basic in the main and the biggest fault anglers have is trying to cast too hard,a steady and even cast stops the continual tangles along with a basic shotting pattern.
My disliked methods are 'the method' and 'method float',too crude for my liking,even in their lightest forms.

Last edited:

soffit

Reaction score
Anything that involves making a huge splash in a tranquil place.

Anything that involves going to bed whilst your fishing.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Like you Mark Pole fishing :(. It was a long time ago now, I think it was a Garballino Pole. My mates were constantly extolling the benefits of using a pole for roach fishing. I couldn't get to grips with it, and after a short while passed it on. Never again.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Like you Mark Pole fishing :(. It was a long time ago now, I think it was a Garballino Pole. My mates were constantly extolling the benefits of using a pole for roach fishing. I couldn't get to grips with it, and after a short while passed it on. Never again.

HI Derek,
I was told by countless anglers and magazines, and not forgetting our beloved Mr Bob Nudd that pole fishing was the way to go.
Well I thought that I would give it ago and me being me I would buy the best pole I could afford! I hated it, all that faffing about with rigs, elastic, shipping in and out just did my head in. The pole has its good points but for pleasure/ specimen It has no place...Well for me anyway!

Mark

dezza

Reaction score
Stret pegging! I just cannot get the hang of it and usually revert to trotting.

I often stret peg the Trent. It works well when you have some deep water right under your rod top. I know a swim on the Tidal where stret pegging is deadly. I use a 15 foot rod, centre pin and a flat float, also called a lollypop float for this sort of work.

You can also use a pole, the problem being that when Mr. Whiskers come along, you haven't got a hope in hell.

Last edited: