Warning!

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Please note well Graham’s recent comments re. personal attacks on fellow anglers. The possibility of litigation is ever present, so I suggest that FM readers create ‘nom de plumes’ we can refer to, so as to avoid trouble. We have a great tradition among angling writers in the past with such pen names as ‘BB’ and the ‘Trent Otter’
May I start the ball rolling with the following:

Matt Hayes – New name: Carpet Stains
(Matt is the diminutive of carpet, and he is not very big. In the Posh and Becks tradition of naming your children where they were conceived, Staines in Middlesex is the venue. His parents were on a top of a bus at the time, and by the time they lit up their post coital fags, it was going through Hayes)

Des Taylor - New name: ‘BBB’ or more appropriately ‘SSG’
(Bonkers Brummie B*st*rd, Barmy Beardie of Bewdley, Seventeen Stone Git – you can make up your own from now on)

Some of the other greats from the past betray their roots in their writing names
Fred Taylor – Obviously from the rag trade, with early exposure to bobbins etc.His actual name is a corruption of ‘Thread Tailor’

**** Walker - this one is a worry, as it appears not to have anything to with fishing, but is some sort of sexual exercise machine (although extensive research on the top shelf of my local newsagents has failed to produce any picture or diagram to show how this works)

I will sign off now as I have probably upset just about everybody – I’m sure you will let me know!

K

Keith Miller

For the most part contributors to this forum do not hide behind pseudonyms or indulge in libellous critique.
Should we head down the road that Kevin suggests I feel that would be an unfortunate error.

R

Ron Clay

One of the reasons why writers of the past used pen names was quite simply there were not all that many writers and overexposure was something they feared.

**** Walker wrote under the name "Waterail" for the Fishing Gazette. JW Martin never used "Trent Otter" as a pen name . That was a nick name given to him due to the sheer amount of fish he was able to extract from the Trent.

Personally I do not like pen names. It gives me the impression that the writer may have something to hide.

J

John Pleasance

Hello Wendy, I was only thinking last night that I hadn't seen a post from you for a few days,(I might have missed some)and hoping you were doing O.K.
I expect you're glad you're not fishing today,it's pretty nasty out there.

S

Stuart Bullard

John was thinking about Wendy last night, mmmmmmm.

Anyway, how is the hip?? I had to have some rather major surgery 5 weeks ago, so I am off the bank for a while.

As for Kevin, I think he needs some major surgery!

D

Del Jarman

Stuat, re- Kevins need for surgery. I'm pleased you didn't say where, cos' now we can while away a bit of spare time guessing.

Del.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Oh dear, oh dear. Perhaps it was because I rushed, perhaps I didn't finish the piece off properly, or perhaps I forgot to print 'This is supposed to be just for a laugh' across the top! If you have to explain a joke it isn't funny - so here goes. I did not suggest writers send in articles using pseudonyms, I didn't ask for the pen names of every angler that has every written (thank you anyway).What I was trying to suggest was that we fellow readers/writers of FM think up some amusing pet names for our contemporary writers, and I just tried to start the ball rolling with a few of my own (twisted I agree!) suggestions. I didnt realise that angling was such a serious business -Sorry!!!

J

John Pleasance

Don't worry Kevin,I'm sure that at the very least your mother still loves you.

You must remember however not to pick on Matt while Wendy is around.

On a more serious note giving some of these more conspicuous people pseudonyms that we can hide behind will only encourage us to be even more rude about them which is probably not a good idea,as some of us don't need much encouragement for that.

P

Paul Williams

A spade IS a spade......no one can do anything to you for telling the truth, thats what i like about this site, it is usually rational and any critism is usually constructive or warranted and most of us are happy to use our real names, we can disagree and then "get the beer in" and have a laugh.....if the people who are the targets of some of the critism visit the site and choose not to reply to a thread then that is their choice.....but if they then choose to knock people who use sites like this in other forms of the media then i for one will always believe they have something to "worry" about.

K

Kevan Farmer

There is nothing wrong with criticism as long as it is warranted and valid and does not get personal. There is a line over which decent people do not need to cross. IMHO.

Kevan