What species of fish do you love and why?

T

The Monk

for me it has to be the indignious British species along with a few endemics, although I have reservations about introduced species like the Wels and the zander, I also have an interest in the fry species, bullhead, loach and ruffe, a great shame we lost the burbot

T

trev matthews

Its got to be Perch for me caught on a spinner or a small plug, absolutely fantastic fight and such good fun on balanced tackle that doesnt out gun them. So bright and colourfull and looking for a fight. I remember Rapala doing a competition with a prize for anyone catching a 5lb er or more on one of their plugs, I was stationed in Woolwich at the time and I used to go to the docks very close to the ferry crossing, massive perch in there but I just couldnt get anything bigger than 3 lb 8oz even though I saw Perch much much bigger. My missus nearly divorced me when she found out id wasted a whole weeks leave plugging for Perch lol.

T

The Monk

My missus nearly divorced me when she found out id wasted a whole weeks leave plugging for Perch lol.

so you nearly got a result then mate

T

Thalia

Steve - great thread. You weren't sure why you started the thread but it soon got people thinking and replying. I'll bet many could have said much more given the time. I like the way you summed up how you felt about it. I'd put myself in the same boat I think.

Alan Tyler's seems to sum up fishing for me. Paul's comment about the one your fishing for also being relevant. Possibly even better when a surprise your not fishing for is caught maybe?

For me it is varied.

Stillwater wise I'd say unequivocably that the Tench is lord and master. Nothing looks as grand in the landing net on a misty summer's morning. Not much fights as hard pound for pound either in my book. Sadly there is less and less good Tench fishing around these days - so many ponds/pools/lakes etc all being stocked to gunwhales with bloody carp! Strangely enough I've caught more Tench from the river (Thames) in the last two or three years than I have in years from stillwater, although admittedly not by design.

Rudd, used to catch these in my local Tench lake - had to fish them off for a coupleof hours before the tinca's moved in. What a fantastic combination of both my stillwater favourites that used to be.

The Perch is a right feisty sergeant too whether from a lake or river. Bristling with arrogance and with those dark stripes he thinks he stands out from all the other fishes that swim around him. A bit like the Eric Cantona of the aquatic world.......

As for for flowing water I think the list is vast. Have had a thing for Barbel now for years - when you hook one and they pull back it is heart pumping stuff. Can't quite describe it to non-anglers that...

Chub - always obliging and we should always be thankful for a fish which saves many a blank or dull day.

But without doubt the Roach is the most beautiful thing that I've caught and enjoy catching in numbers. Fishing on Hemp/Tares/Wheat etc, excellent fun. Have made it my target for the winter to catch some specimens.

Sadly don't catch too many Dace either. A couple of seasons or so agoI used to get quite few when seed fishing for Roach but having seen too many this year. Something quite appealing about them when they are of a certain size.

Haven't caught a Grayling so can't say what I think about them until Icatch them but acknowledge how beautiful they are. Perhaps I should fish my local River Windrush a bit more for them this winter?

There are loads that I wouldn't say I'd rave about but they are all special. Little Gudgeon do have that air about them and beingthe first fish I caught it sticks in the mind a bit.

Eels aren't my favourite especially when unhooking them, but my word what a fight they put up. The biggest I caught was 4lb and it stripped line off of my reel so fast I thought it was the barbel I was after! Can definitely see why some would target them even though it's not really for me. Although not a favourite to catch it's probably the most fascinating with regards to its life cycle and the whole Sargasso Sea mystique.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Thank you Thalia,it's all about the love of our sport and the passing on of our enjoyment, I think people tend to forget that sometimes.

I could go on for ages............................you all think Ron can ramble, you aint heard nothing yet /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

D

Dal (The merchant of Mennace & Don't mess with my

"I love catching all fish, they all deserve the same amount of respect.

I get a massive kick when I catch my target species."

What a brilliant thread, cheers Steve. I'd just like to say that's my sentiments entirely and nice one Thalia...

Excellent! /forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

Rickrod

Reaction score
i love lure fishing with a popper when the pike brakes the surface it makes me jump every time also fishing with a good mate for whatever fish comes along its just great to be out on the bank fishing ive enjoyed this thread thanks steve

F

Fred Bonney

For me,the misty dawn of mid June, on a big pit, or estate lake,for the Tench.

On the small river, chub.

On the bigger river, barbel,

and, on all of them,the majestic roach.

T

teecee

Thalia-being an Oxford man you have to have some of the best roach fishing in the country on your doorstep:what can beat a Kennet roach for pue beauty-I keep thinking about and watching the Passion for Angling video when they are fishing the Kennet late evening and land a near 3lb specimen and they show it in torch light,absolutely pristine condition and just magical to look at......if I could catch one of those I think I would stop fishing.

Do grayling still exist in the Windrush?If you go for them I hope you succeed just for the great thread!!

Surely you could goto the 'TC Pit' for your quality roach......

steveo

Reaction score
Steve

There are many fish that float me boat,they are all special.

It all depend's on what im fishing for.Be it a Barble in the winter flood's,or a Chub on Frosty winter dusk.

I love to lure fish for Pike or Perch

And Carp will alway's be an obsession for me.

Another love is the big Spanish pussy,i yearn to go back for more.

I love them all unconditionly.Good Angling to all.