River Bream.

Deanos

Reaction score
Heyup fellas!

I am going after some river bream this week and would be gratefulfor some advice and pointers. The river is not a biggie, the bream live in a stretch about a quarter of a mile long. They are hardy ever fished for, so location within the actual stretch, or best pegs I have no idea of. Fishing the features for chub I have no problem with as that is what I spend most of my angling time doing,but Idont know what I am looking for as regards location for the bream or the best tactics to start off with.

If it were you, how might you take the challenge on?. I envisage maybe two days to crack the problem. Any advice on baits, tactics and location on afeatureless stretch would be very much appreciated.

Regards, Deanos

Beecy

Reaction score
funny things are bream, the text books say they will be in the deeper slower pegs, but they can turn up anywhere. Ive had them in pegs so shallow they must have been swimming on their sides

I dont think it matters what bait you use, if they are there they'll eat owt

clam

Reaction score
Try prebaiting a deep slow area of the stretch the night before you fish.Then fish early morning./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

clam

Reaction score
Or fish for barbel your bound to catch bream then/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Been banned out of the local chippy again Deano?

Pastie carp not to your taste then? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Deanos

Reaction score
Just you behave Brummie /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifI do "fish for fish" as well as enjoy them with a bit of salt and vinegar on you know!

Clam, what would be a good ground bait to use, I have PLENTY of hemp seed if that is as good as anything for a start, corn, pelletsetc etc.

Beecy, your post is very true. I remember fishing with my mate quite a few years back as he took a good catch of bream in very clear water just at the end of a set of rapids, also as you say, just deep enough to cover them over whilst they got stuck into the food!

clam

Reaction score
I wouldn't use hemp for bream,just use normal brown crumb with a few pellets and corn/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

you could try feeder fishing with brown crumb chopped worm sweetcorn and maggotts ,Hook bait i,d try maggott with bread , worm , sweetcorn, just make shure you get that feeder in the same place every time.If there there you should catch.

Deanos

Reaction score
Thank you very much fellas, brown crumb it is, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

COME ON YOU SNOTTYS!

steveo

Reaction score
Best way I know to catch bream is to go carp fishing!!!........You see the bream angler uses worm,maggot,caster,corn etc and yet I still seem to manage to catch the slimey devil's on 20mm baits and bigger,I mean they must have to ram their mouths on them to eat them!...Makes you think eh?...Hpoeyou get your snotties/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

N

NomadPaul

I'd be looking at using a mix of brown crumb and a fishmeal based groundbait - Maybe 50/50 - The old snotties love fishmeal

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Deanos,

Try raking the swim the night before, i would feeder fish with 50/50 brown crunb and Expo, corn and red maggot, caster and worm, cocktails are very good for bream.

I dont mean a sex on the beech or harvey wallbanger.

Good luck large man.

Chris Owen 2

Reaction score
Fish for barbel, thats what iv been doing all season and cant get awayfrom them!!!Had 2 both over 7lb the other week.

I use 2 halves of 14mm boilies or 2 superglued pelletsthat have been flavoured for a week or so in advance, i tip boiling water over some pellets an hour befor fishingto make my groundbait, add some hemp, some green swim stim, some micro pellets and broken boilies to the mix.

Depending on how long i plan to fish for i may put a bed of feed down first via a baitdropper or repeatedly casting the feeder but have had just as much success by fishing for them with a groundbait feeder and also attaching a small pva bag with a few pellets and broken boilies in to the hook.

Most of my better bream (and barbel for that matter) have come by fishing into darkness and only a couple of rod lengths out. If you do fish during the day i have found it neccesary to fine down my end tackle quiet considerably to get any action, even going down to a size 14 and 2 micro pellets on a short hair and longish hooklength at times.

Good luck and hopefully you wont getplagued bytoo many "nuisance" barbel!!!!!

twitch

Reaction score
Hi Deanos, have a look in IYCF mag (sept-oct 07) page 30, artical by Martin Bowler on river bream

J

john conway CSG

Bream will patrol the length of the river you are fishing and if the river is not too large then you should be able to attract the shoal onto your ground bait by simply fishing mid river. Of course initially you wont know at what time the bream will be in any particular section of the river unless you have been monitoring their patrol routs. I’d initially set myself up for a long evening/night session fishing mid section of the river you know where they are. Initially choose a section where there is a deep pool or run and fish the upstream end of it. Pre bait if you can a few days prior to fishing but it’s not the end of the world if you can’t. For ground bait I’d use half and half of brown crumb and baby chick mash with sweet-corn. Don’t use maggots or worm at night just at the moment unless you like catching eels. If you can’t manage an evening session then scalded maggot or chopped worm can be added.

On the River Lune all my bream came to sweet-corn or Bread. On other rivers meat is OK but again watch out for the eels at night.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Throw one of yer pies into the river Deano, they will soon come to them/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

J

Jim Crosskey 2

three things, just to adda little....

Deano, number one: try to make sure you're at the water either at first or lastlight, where they roll is where they're at.

Number two: get the maximum number of different bits in your groundbait - brown crumb + pellets (preferably two or three different types) + hemp + corn + broken boilies + leftover pies (maybe.....) You get the idea though. Sardines, tuna, anything with a bit of fish oil...

Number three:similar tonumber two, be prepared to change hookbait every cast and don't ignore cocktails. This takes a bit of discipline, but if you really get amongst them, catch on one bait and then change. Personal favourites are maggots, worms, corn, combinations of any or all of these, boilies, bread, anything but the bait you caught the last one on.

Good luck, a big bag of river snotties is trickier than people think!

Deanos

Reaction score
Absolutely spiffing stuff and great advice!....you are all a bunch of good eggs!

I have nothing against Martin Bowler...but I might have trouble when it comes to the length of hair (ref my picture) if this is critical in catching river bream!

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
On a serous note Deano, i caught a river bream on the Ribble early this year, it weighed in at 8lb 9oz and i used a closed end drennan feeder filled with Bronze maggot and a bronze and red maggot on the hook.

Granville marsdin told me to always keep things simple, i did and i caught/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif