grilled hemp

Reaction score
Since the weather is cold and sunny and my regular river is on the low side I thought I'd try chubbing tomorrow with liquidised bread with some grilled hemp added. Prepares the bread and dusted a sheet of tin foil with ground hemp and was about to put it under a hot grill [sounds like Saturday Kitchen] when I realised I had no idea how long to grill hemp for. Any ideas guy. Cheers

B

Bully

Why grill it? I'd just pour over boiling water and leave. Then use the water to damp your bread.

I do loads of cooking, and heating various things like carraway seed, fennel seed etc does release oils however if you cook something in water, or pour boiling water over them you get the same effect with oils released.

I really dont see any great benefit of grilling.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Grilled hemp makes your groundbait 'fizz' whereas boiled hemp doesn't .....

B

Bully

Well, I have never heard of that! Interesting.How does this help though, especially on a river?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Try putting it in a deep roasting dish in the oven, gas mark 4.

It takes a couple of hours and you have to keepstiring it, it dries out lovely and does make your grounbait fizz.

geminus

Reaction score
Grilling hemp reduces it's food content by burning off some of the oil in the hemp.

I have not prepared any grilled hemp for a number of years, but the best method I found was to heat it slowely in a large frying pan; keep turning it so it dosen't burn.

Try doing just small amounts until you get the hang of it hope this helps regards Gary

C

Cakey

cant see the point on a river unless your best mate is in the next swim down..............

C

Cakey

I thought raw hemp was better on a river as it keeps everything in your swim

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Depends how deep your swim is?

I blend it raw/ liquidised then dry it.

It works a treat!

geminus

Reaction score
Ground hemp helps to bind ground bait so it only breaks up on the bottom.

Bedalerover

Reaction score
If you want grilled hemp
Put in a pyrex bowl cover with 2 layers of cling film and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes
Check to see if smells like it is grilled if so then put it into a coffee grinder to smash it up
Voila