Major Development in Angling Unity

• Thread starter Graham Marsden (ACA)
  • Start date
G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Is it? Is this the one that will bring us all together and fight the good fight on our behalf?

Or yet another damp squib to taunt us with the promise of great things but never delivers, like so many others before it?

Who knows, but FishingMagic will support it to the hilt.

F

Fred Bonney

Also,not wishing to put a damp squib into the equation, and wishing wholey to support such a body.

How much further on is this, from January 2005?

Not at all, in my view!

E

EC

Is this what Greg was referring to in the other post it's for an issue of Angling Times I am considering whether to buy?

It doesn't exactly say a lot regards funding/structure or whatever but I genuinely hope this is the start!

Any info anywhere else big man?

W

Wolfman Woody

Everytime I see "FACT - One voice" it reminds me of that Barry Manilow song

Just One Voice,
Singing in the darkness,
All it takes is One Voice,
Singing so they hear what's on your mind,
And when you look around you'll find
There's more than

One Voice,
Singing in the darkness,
Joining with your One Voice,
Each and every note another octave,
Hands are joined and fears unlocked,
If only

One Voice
would start it on its own,
We need just One Voice facing the unknown,
And then that One Voice would never be alone
It takes that One Voice.
Would never be alone
It takes that One Voice.

Just One Voice
Singing in the darkness,
All it takes is One Voice,
Shout it out and let it ring.
Just One Voice,
It takes that One Voice,
And everyone will sing!

Don't you just wish?

E

EC

Jethro I cannot belive you didn't 'You tube' link that song just to give me the full flavour!

F

Fred Bonney

Eddie perhaps we should do what Greg does,look at the BBC website!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Nearly 3 years, to agree to sign a letter ....... not in my lifetime then.

The Monk

Reaction score
Well could be, certainly sounds good, i`m not going to say I`ve heard it all before because I`ve not actually heard it in this context, a sincere best of wishes to all involved and its nice to see Mike H on the board, good luck gents

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

As I see it Woody you have two options, support the initiativeor just muddle along as 'angling' has done for decades, waiting for an under resourced and confused EA to do...nothing. Oh sorry, there is a third option, the mysterious, rudderless NUBA.

No contest really!

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

I'll support something that doesn't end up in the usual muddle of small minded committee internicine politics and personal agendas... /forum/smilies/sleepy_smiley.gif

And that I can join directly without having to join something else to get affiliated through etc etc etc.

So, can I join FACT as an individual ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"The full membership of each organisation will be consulted before final agreement."

Well, there is consulting, and then there is consulting.
Two ways of inturpreting that:

1. We will 'consult' our paying members and abide by their decision, or:

2. We will listen to what they have to say and then go our own sweet way in any event, 'investing' their membership fees as we see fit.

Evan asks:
"So, can I join FACT as an individual ?"

Well Evan, some time ago that was muted after taking some 'stick' about the fact (sic) that FACT's funding came from other organisations, rather than give those that they claim to act for the voice of individual membership.

W

Wolfman Woody

Oh alright Eddie, but not Manly Barrilow. This is Lea Salonga - <u>beautiful!!!!</u>
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" width="425" height="350"><param name="src" value="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yT5E7LMu2ks" /><param name="width" value="425" /><param name="height" value="350" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yT5E7LMu2ks" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

My point John is that all we need is just one voice, not the many we currently have supposedly representing us. Maybe with all the signatories singing along now, there's more than one voice, BUT all singing together.

W

Wolfman Woody

It doesn't want to play.

Oh dear, perhaps a sign of how so many other might feel about FACT. /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

B

Bill Cox

Sorry to be a cynic but......................................Yawn, Yawn, Yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Come on guys.You moan you want angling unity yet something which seems to be a positive step towards it gets a luke warm response.

The pantomine season is approaching but UK angling's equivalent of National Rifle Assocuaition in the States isn't going to arrive in a great puff of smoke! NUBA has showed that will not happen.

The way forward can only be by way of incremental steps which deserve our support.One thing iscertain is that if it doesn't attract support then IT WILL FAIL - a self fulfulling prophecy.John H is spot on.

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Interesting Peter.

If it stays at just being an umbrella group to essentially represent and be formed by the secondedcommittee members of the participating organisations, each with their own competing agenda,without any root and branch participation by individuals or - more importantly - general accountability via a ballot box - then I for one am not joining up for yet anotherfalse dawn.

C

Chris Bishop

The key to moving things forward is for this new organisation to get so-called governing body status, as that unlocks funding from central government.

Having been watching this with interest for some time, it looks a positive step to me.

How many different bodies are there..? Who belongs to half of them or knows what they do..?Announcing the first steps towards a merger is a start. But the people doing this need to raise their game when it comes to communicating where they think it's going.

twitch

Reaction score
How many times has angling been in this position and it just faded away. FACT has been around for a while (I think,I read in AT the this group was not looked upon favourably by the minister for angling, Martin Slater).
But it looks like the different bodies, who think they represent angling, are agreeing to talk to each other.
Lets all hope something comes of this, all we can do is watch. I do wish all parties good luck, we need it.

Adrian Thirkill

Reaction score
What we need is strong focused leadership get us off our collective bums and get our heads out of the sand - not another "overlay / overhead" organisation taking years to make weak collective decisions on behalf of us all. Each of the larger Angling / Associated (i.e ACA) bodies has a President / Head - like each of our Football Leagues they should form a board have a collective responsibility for all UK Anglers / Conservation and the environment with a voted remit to have a rotating Chairman and act as our single voice to the EA etc. Fact is we don't need FACT - its another committee overhead

The Monk

Reaction score
I think we have to support FACT and give it a try, otherwise what have we got, at least we still have people fighting in our corner and trying to make things work, at the very least we can support them, what have we got to lose, those are the guys doing the hard work, we disolution them and they will just end us as apathetic as the rest of us and angling will be the sick man of sport for another 100 years