My Pet Hates - whats yours?????

C

Cakey

CAKEYS only joking ,got loads of pet hates.
Heres a couple :-
Victor Meldrew type fishermen that only wake up in the mornings to whinge.
Anti carpers.
smilies and lol's on the ends of postings its bad enough learning french for my french trips but now Ive got to learn english again !!!!

A

Andrew Thomas

Saddoes that make accusations on messageboards, and pursue personal vendettas, while hiding behind pseudonyms in order to remain anonymous.

R

Robert Draper

Last night I looked in at Uk.rec.fishing.coarse, I wish I hadn't. Some people are just plain vindictive and if this is the state of the angling population then we are in for a very bleak future.

My new pet hate - the internet for helping so many idiots to get their name on the screen (Fishingmagic and other decent forums excepted of course).

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I understand exactly what you're saying Robert, but it's the price we pay for freedom of speech.

As well as the idiots who abuse the medium it is also a place where you and I, and millions of others, can have an immediate say to a wide audience on any topic that interests us.

Where else can you do that? Certainly not in papers and magazines.

It's a great privelege we have and one we should nurture and promote at every opportunity. What we should never do is allow the odd idiot to spoil things for the greater majority.

G

Gary Knowles

Spot on Graham……..

Let’s face it, life is full of idiots, it’s not just the internet that has this trouble. On what other medium are you allowed total freedom of speech on subjects that you are totally passionate about like the internet gives you. Why should you stop using, enjoying and learning from it because of the mis-use by a shallow and pretty inconsequential minority?

What do you do if some kids started throwing stones at your house windows…move home? If someone starts bullying one of your kids at school…change their schools?

Do you hell, you confront the troublemaker and fight your corner, never ever, run away, if you do that the idiots win……..is that what we want?

M

Mike Parker

My other pet hate is the Wind! Not the flatulance type.
You can protect yourself against the cold and precipitation but its just impossible to get out of the wind without a 'brolly' of some sort and they cramp my style!(I still dont catch fish tho)

D

disco dan

Pet hates i have a few but dont want to whinge.My main one is just moaning anglers who rather that change swims tatics or baits just complain about how sh*t a venue is.Also miserable unhelpful baliffs and tackle shop owners they dont mind taking your money but they never seem to want to give out info(well they dont in my area).

P.S heres a smiley just for cakey :)!

D

Dave Kennedy

my pet hate......so called anglers fishing without licences.

nice to see the Ea have prosecuted another 12 anglers for fishing without one....and confiscated a lot of tackle:)

Twelve fishermen were fined a total of ?1,030 at Hereford Magistrates' Court on Friday for fishing without a licence, contrary to section 27 (a) of the Salmon & Freshwater Fisheries Act, 1975. In addition they were ordered to pay a total of ?780 towards the costs of Environment Agency Wales which brought the prosecutions. Eight of the 12 fishermen had to forfeit their rods and reels.

Jamie Nicol Aranda of Lower Rylands, Upton Bishop, Ross-on-Wye, fishing at Holme Lacy House Lake on 28/08/01 and Deryn Leslie Brian Preece of Tredegar Road, Ebbw Vale, Gwent fishing at Biddlestone Lake, Ross-on-Wye on 30/07/01 were both given a conditional discharge for 12 months with ?55 costs.

Scott Brown of Darwin Drive, Newport, Gwent, fishing at Tillington Lake, Hereford on 13/08/01; Paul Cowmeadow of Bealey Lane, Bloxwich, Walsall, Staffordshire, fishing at Rotherwas Pool, Hereford on 27/08/01 and Kieran Lewis of Surrey Avenue, Hereford fishing at Rotherwas Pool on 28/08/01 were all fined ?100 with ?55 costs.

Jason Lalies of Parret Road, Bettws, Newport, Gwent, fishing at Tillington Lake, Hereford on 13/08/01 and Neil Roger Thomas of Rhoslan, Sirhowy, Tredegar, Gwent, fishing at Rotherwas Pool, Hereford on 05/08/01 were both fined ?50 with ?55 costs.

Mark Anthony Hall of Alger Road, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, fishing at Ashleigh Pool, Bridstow, Ross-on-Wye on 30/07/01 was fined ?150 with ?80 costs.

James Hayward of Cherry Tree Road, Brereton, Rugely, Staffordshire fishing at Docklow Pools, Leominster on 21/08/01 was fined ?80 with ?55 costs

Marcus Lewis of Webtree Avenue, Putson, Hereford, fishing at Chapel Pool, Rotherwas on 03/07/01 was fined ?100 with ?125 costs

James Williams of Kestrel Road, Newtown Farm, Hereford, fishing at Rotherwas Pool, Hereford on 27/08/01 was fined ?50 with ?55 costs.

Brian Price of Ridgemore Road, Leominster, fishing at the River Lugg at Leominster on 31/05/01 was fined ?100 with an additional ?150 for stating a false name and address with ?80 costs.

The court also ordered that the tackle of Cowmeadow, Hall, Lalies, Kieran Lewis, Preece, Price, Thomas and Williams be forfeited.

Speaking after the hearing, an Agency spokesperson said: "Income from rod licence sales is important, in that it directly benefits the management of our freshwater fisheries. The courts support this, as these results show. In South East Area we have a robust approach to rod licence enforcement, this will continue."

visit the EA site for regular updates and news aticles http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/?lang=_e

P

Peter Waller

I think that any angler who cares a jot about their sport must have a the odd whinge! Funny world if they didn't!

For me my pet hates, as opposed to things that annoy me, are:-

PIKE MATCHES, well, not so much the matches, but SOME of the morons who fish them. Because of the actions of a sizable minority I think these throw-backs to the 19th centuary should go the way of gorge-baiting by being assigned to the ark.

PIKE ANGLING GUIDES, you only have to look at the Thurne & Yare to see why!

CARP ANGLERS, well, that made you look! I love 'em really, honest!!

MORE CARP ANGLERS, Okay, so its not my scene but I love them to bits, it keeps the river banks clear for me to roam!

EVEN MORE CARP ANGLERS, well, just one sort really. Those are the sensitive fellows who are totally devoid of a sense of humour. Take the rise out of a humourless carp angler and you'd think someone had committed total sacrelege!

ANNON. Can't stand the fellow, really can't.

A

andrew jackson

I wasnt going to make a direct post on this topic, as I feel it is a little negative. But Peter had to do it! I have a great sence of humour, but there is a fine dividing line. Many clubs have a neggative attitude towards Carp anglers. This attitude comes indirectly from these jokes and digs, they are the tip of a particulary big and nasty iceburg. Induvidually they mean very little, a bit like drip of water on a rock, but eventualy they wear through. So you see peter, it is not that we are sensitive, it is the constant drip driping, that drives us mad. My pet hate, anglers who knock other anglers, just because they choose to tread a different path.

R

Ron Clay

Another pet hate of mine are the know-alls.

Fishing the Trent last year this bloke came down and asked if I was after the barbel. When I answered in the affirmative he then went ont to tell be that I was in the wrong spot, that I was using the wrong bait and that my rig was all wrong.

I had actually caught 3 barbel prior to his arrival. When I mentioned this he asked where they were. When I told him that I didn't put barbel in keepnets he got even more grumpy and continued to moan about cormorants, the river clarity and the state of the banks.

As he carried on moaning my rod pulled over and a few minutes later I netted a fish just short of 8 lbs.

He walked off muttering something about me being a lucky so and so

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
But you were lucky Ron, you could have been him.

A

andrew jackson

Hi Alan.
I have been a member and an infrequent poster for quite some time now. In fact I visit most nights. Generally I just read, but now and again something will squeeze a post out of me.

P

Peter Waller

Andrew, I have yet to see this big ugly iceburg that you refer to. Maybe it is out there, I hope not. I'm sorry if you see my comments as in anyway sinister.

A

andrew jackson

Peter belive me it is out there, the tip of the iceburg as I suggested are the seemingly inconsequential, jokes, jibes and stereotyping. This quickly degenerates into baits and methods being banned, without any evidence to back up the sometimes crazy claims. The real dirty bit dragging up the bottom, are clubs and water owners who stop nothing short of discrimination. Any carp angler who has been around a few years, will be able to tell you of many examples of this in action. I dont think for one minute that your post was intended to be in any way sinister, it is just that when you are on the reciving end, you tend to see the bigger picture. In writing that I realise that I am guily of pre judging you, and tarring you with the same brush. For that I appologise.
Oh yes and on a lighter note, I dont own a pair, but bivvy slippers happen to be a very practicle item of kit. It is a carp fishing dilema, do you leave your boots on in your sleeping bag. This is guarenteed to not only make you very uncomfortable, but also to dump a few tonnes of muck into your nice sleeping bag. Or do you take your boots off, and squelch through the mud in your socks upon reciving a run? Bivvy slippers are the ideal solution, a warm sock with a waterproof and wipe clean base. The product is great, it is the stupid name that gives the wrong vibes. Bivvy boots would have been a much better name.
Ok I concede that us carp anglers may be a little sensitive at times, but that is not without a fair bit of provocation. Live and let live, thats what I say, at the end of the day we are all brothers of the angle.

J

John McLaren

To put a positive slant on this, I like: anyone who takes litter home, enjoys his/her fishing regardless of what pulls the string and is willing to share experiences. My pet hate would be something along the lines of Ron Clay's first posting - lack of etiquette. More specifically people who don't consider the effects of their behaviour on other anglers, I guess that covers a lot of what everyone has been saying on this thread but if I can give a very specific example from a couple of years back: I was fishing the Ribble and had been trotting a nice run for an hour or so. I was starting to get bites at long range, about 25-30 yards, when another guy arrived. By his manner I could see that he had arrived intent on fishing the spot I was in but seeing me there he started to set up 20 yards below me, I pointed out to him, politely, that I was trotting to at least the point he intended to fish and his response was something to the effect that I couldn't expect to have the whole river to myself (apart from the two of us there was just one other angler on the mile long stretch!) He then commenced to cast a feeder across and slightly upstream. My bites dried up and he caught just one trout before leaving after a couple of hours. I then began to catch fish at distance again and gradually brought them upstream towards me. It was a good day's fishing but the episode left an unpleasant feeling.

R

Ron Clay

John, I've had a few of those in my life.

At the other end of the stick, and what I must admit has pput me off carp anglers in a big way was an experience I had in 1995 on an Oxford pit.

I mst have walked 1/2 a mile with my tackle when I spotted a lovely bay fringed with rushes and looking just the spot for a tench. There was not a angler in sight save for a line of 3 bivvies about 80 to 100 yards across the water.

I pushed through the undergrowth and eventually started setting up.

A scream from the other bank was apparent. One of the carp anglers, at the top of his voice, in an East End accent (they always seem thus) was telling me to .... off and that I was fishing in his swim!!!