My Pet Hates - whats yours?????

D

Dave Feeney

A lot has been writen about fish welfare and quite rightly so, what with unhooking mats becoming compulsory on some waters, no sleeping when night fishing( agree or disagree your choice!!) keepnets having to be notless ect ect,but no comment has been raised about a pet hate of mine... the dry cloth.... how many times have you seen someone catch a fish, reach down into the net and wrap it up in a piece of old towel to "help" in keeping it still or what ever other purpose when unhooking it.
The damage must be considerable as the cloth often looks like someone's used it to wallpaper with, by the end of the day, covered in fish slime.
why can't they just unhook it in the net and return it via the net without ever having to touch it??.
O.K if a photo is called for then the appropriate measures can be applied, but please lets try and get this awful practise stopped.
Another one is throwing fish back instead of taking them to the waters edge and releasing them, once saw a guy catch a carp, drop in on the bank then use his landing net handle to "roll" and push it back into the water.
These people are the first to complain when the fishing is not so good, we wonder why!!!!!! .
Dry clothes are for drying your hands not to pick fish up with, lets try and keep it that way and help convert others.
thanks
p.s whats your pet hates?????

C

Curly

A pet hate of mine is when, you are fishing all alone on a lake, pond, river etc and a man from out of no where comes behind you with a dog and proceeds to let the dog swim about in your swim without saying a bloody word.

K

Keith Miller

Mobile phones. I admit to carying one, but only for emergency use.
I am repeatedly angered by those who set up near to me and then proceed to have trivial conversations with everyone they know.

R

Ron Clay

Skyliners!! I detest skyliners. A large percentage of anglers in UK today have never fished a river, unlike in the 60s when in most cases that's all we did fish.

You get in position, have those fish under your rod tip, and then some pratt comes along in colours of a vivid hue and scares the fish away.

Another pet hate is the absolutely ridiculous colours that angler seem to dress up in, from Bob Nudd's stupid purple one piece and silly white cap, to Jan Porter in his hideous red.

Why do these idiots have to inflict primary colours on the English countryside?

R

Robert Draper

Drinking while fishing. I have seen over the past year far too many single-species anglers (I think we know which species we are talking about) who are bevvied up before they are bivvied up. They are the absolute bane of the serious single-species anglers but when it comes to the general public they all get tarred with the same brush. One guy narrowly escaped drowning last year when he fell unconscious into a margin reed-bed, if he hadn't been spotted by someone walking back to the car-park after fishing a far peg he would have died.

Either fish at the lake or drink in the pub, don't try to do both (not that these types will read FM!).

R

Robert Draper

PS that wasn't a dig at real Carp anglers, it was a dig at the complete morons who take up carp fishing as an excuse to go camping with a trolleyload of tinnies. When night fishing for pike was fashionable the pikers got the same bandwagon-boozers, I suppose the way things are going they will all migrate to Cat fishing eventually...

R

Ron Clay

I agree Robert. Many of us like a drink, but after the fishing, not during the fishing.

S

Stuart Bullard

Its funny Ron (well it wasn't at the time). I had the same happen to me last Sunday. Pre-baited an area (River Lea), just started to get somes plucks and in stomps this guy "Caught anything yet" top of his voice........pratt. I like conversing with anglers, but tend to do it on the hoof. I never approach someone once they are down and fishing.

But my real hate. Litter.

S

Shrek

1. Not catching fish !!!

2. Also, people that come up and offer your alternate advice on how you should be fishing when you are quite happy with the amount of fish that are attaching themselves to your hook !!!!

3. Other anglers that plonk themselves down on the peg next to you and then don't stop talking to you.

R

Ron Clay

On rivers especially, the ettiquette of angling seems to have been lost. I blame commercial fisheries for this.

R

Robert Draper

Maybe anglers should wear a big flag on the back of their hats:

Green flag - Talk to me, I'm bored
Amber flag - Brief chat, not too loud
Red flag - b*gg*r off, I'm concentrating
Skull & Crossbones - I'm fishing the margin, snap a twig and you DIE!!!

S

Stuart Bullard

It does make us sound like an unfriendly lot, but it is a bit like not talking or moving when someone is taking a put in golf.

R

Ron Clay

Quite correct Stuart. I am not a miserable b....r at all, yet I do like to be approached in the correct manner

C

Chris Bishop

Quite agree. Should be more bankside bonhomie and less moaning.

Perhaps we could publish a book of angling etiquette. Sort of cross between Debrett's and The Book of Masonic Secrets...

It could cover everything from forms of address, dress codes, table manners etc.

"... Only current record holders and male members of the Royal family should be referred to as sir on the bankside. All other anglers are mate, apart from the swim jumping classes, who should not generally be engaged in conversation..."

"...when you are satisfied that the man before you is a brother of the angle, you may scratch your bottom, adjust the crotch of your one-piece suit, break wind or enquire: 'Had any mate..?'

R

Ron Clay

But I often address a fellow brother of the angler as "sir", except a swim jumper or skyliner. Then he is a stupid thick b......d.

D

David Will

Mine on stillwaters are litter ,mallets and over use of marker floats. On rivers litter and people who chuck sticks in for their dog to retrieve.Finally people who have lost the ability to understand that fish are real living creatures that nature has instilled with an ability to flee at signs of danger.In other words your skyliners Ron.

W

Wendy Perry

My pet hate is being on a lake on my own minding my own business and catching plenty and some big headed MAN says " haven't you got any housework to do " and starts laughing am sorry but this really p****s me off .

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
My pet hate is bloody 'twitchers' who come and stand behind you with their telescopes, binoculars, Hunter wellies, Tweed hats, Barbour jackets, I-Spy book of birds etc, etc, and ask how you are getting on. Tell them you have paid ?5/10/15 for a ticket - ask them how much they have paid to come bird watching. The answer is ALWAYS '' I'm a member of the RSPB'' I would surely like a fishing ticket like that!