the best mono

R

Rob Brownfield

Jon, I had 8 pound synegy, I binned it because it twisted like hell..i tried it on 4 different reels, but all with the same result..hmmmm.

J

John McLaren

I don't think you can go wrong with Maxima. I was recently persuaded to buy some of Shimano's new Exage because the shop didn't have the bulk spools of Maxima that I wanted, I have to say that I am far from happy with the peformance of the new stuff - it seems to be quite springy and to have a very long "memory" so I am suffering from coiling. There are also occasional rough or flat spots (you can hear them go through the rod tip) I've not lost anything yet - but then I haven't caught much recently anyway! I'll be changing as soon as I can.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've been following this thread with a lot of interest, because, to some extent, it's very much like the boilie/bullshit thread, in that what's one man's meat is another man's poison.

Some of the lines that some anglers swear by are classed as rubbish by others, and vice-versa.

Which leads me to ask an obvious question:

Are we victims of bad batches? Or do some of us not know how to load line on a reel correctly?

There has to be an explanation somewhere along those lines (excuse the pun) for I've used some of the lines that have been criticised in this thread without any problems whatsoever. And I've used some of the lines that have been praised and swore never to use them again.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I should also add that some of the lines being both praised and criticised are one and the same - just different labels.

J

John McLaren

I think I would agree with you on that Graham, whilst I prefer maxima I am happy with a number of other brands that I have seen heavily criticised - it is down to individual experience on many occasions. The problem with fishing line is you don't know if its faulty until too late and whilst the sale of goods act applies how do you prove the faulty line is the one you bought recently? I don't suppose you can reveal which brandings are the same line???

A

Andy Blessett

The question of loading line onto reels. I know there is a right and a wrong way but why is it that one make will unspool from the top, another from the bottom and another will be from one end?. Some even say put the spool in a bucket of water? I know it boils down to the way the line was loaded onto the spool but why should there be so may permutations?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
John, I can't name all the lines that are the same but have different labels but the classic one is one of your favourites, Maxima. Drennan Specimen is Maxima - but look at the difference in price! There will be several other labels too, that are Maxima at heart.

Don't go by colour when comparing lines. That's just a dye, and a clear line has no dye at all.

What is interesting is that two different batches of the same line can often be remarkably different, hence my comment above that we may be victims of bad batches when we have problems with a line that most others seem to get on with.

The moral is: don't always assume that a brand of line is bad when you know that many other anglers like it (you could have got hold of a bad batch or one that has been stored for too long or in sunlight). And remember that although there are hundreds of different (apparently) brands of line on the market there are only a handful of line manufacturers in the world.

Always buy line from a busy tackle shop (never pet shops/tackle shops and the like)where the line stocks are being turned over regularly and therefore sold fresh.

Beware of buying line where a shop is selling it off at extremely cheap prices as a 'special offer'. It could be line they've had in for a very long time that they were unable to sell at a realistic price.

Don't buy line that isn't in a container, and don't buy line that is in a clear container and been stored where sunlight can get at it.

Unless you really feel the need to experiment with a different line than your usual one, use line that you are personally happy with through experience. That's always the best one because that one comes bundled with confidence, an essential ingredient in fishing.

R

Ron Clay

And NEVER use the line given out as freebies with magazines.

I lost an enormous roach one. The line was marked at 5lb bs. It broke under the lb!!

And by the way, nylon suffers from hydrolysis, that is water will break it down in time. Remember that.

M

Mike Panzeri

Lets have some comments on fluorocarbon -

I've had 17lb Berkley Vanish fail on me in dramatic fashion.

Soon afterward a friend told me that he threw away a spool of Vanish after a couple of similar experiences.

Can anyone recommend a good fluorocarbon?

N

Nicky Garbutt

ive just bought a bulk spool of berkley big game so im going to give it ago when the weather get a bit calmer.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Wtih regard to faulty 'batches', I suspect line is manufactured in much the same way as paint. In this process a batch is made in a huge vat. When it is ready it is poured out so that the first and last runs are sold of as 'own brand & 'economy' paint, and the middle run is kept for the 'premium' brands. The middle of the vat having had the most efficient mixing.During pouring, up to ten different varieties of paint can be 'tinned'!! As I said, I expect ac similar situation occurs with line

T

Tony O'dell

Regarding the Maxima/Drennan Specimen being the same mono with different dye's...is 5lb Drennan Specimen the same diameter as Maxima 5lb, or Maxima 4lb...i have heard than Maxima underate there lines, but the quoted strain of Drennan is much closer its actual breaking strain..any views?

C

Cakey

Cant believe any one goes out with new line and fishes with out testing first.
My local lake is a gravel pit with bars that look like the London underground map and with the wrong line I can get cut off in seconds.
First thing I done was to check abrasive qualitys then I checked knot strength (which does vary from knot to knot with different lines)hence I end up on bass pro mainly for its abrasive qualitys.
most tackle shops with give you a foot or so to do tests before you buy.

C

Cakey

Ron said "nylon suffers from hydrolysis"
its true but according to some californian scientists 4lb fishing line takes up to 300 yrs to totally breakdown.
15lb line takes up to 500yrs and sea fishing line 30+ takes 1000yrs.
also a dog end takes 5 yrs,tin can takes 10 yrs, plastic six pack holder takes 450 yrs,cotton rag 1-5mths,aluminum can 200-500 yrs,piece of paper 2-4 wks,wood 1-4 yrs,painted wood 13 yrs.
Glass bottles cant be measured.

R

Ron Clay

Yes Cakey nylon may take 300 years to break done, but sometimes it can lose it's tensile strength overnight.

I have a great deal of experience of nylon membrane filters. They can lose their integrity very quicklt especially when in contact with high purity water.

C

Cakey

Ron
membrane filters are normally made out of polyethersulfone and as you know most fishing line is made by condensing hexamethylenediamine with sebacic acid so surely you cant compare the two.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I learned this just this morning.

Line winding machines are now available to tackle shops. They will be able to buy line in bulk spools and fill their own 100m spools that will sell at ?2.99 a spool. I thought that was fairly reasonable for a known quality line.

Than I read that they're buying the line in at a price that equates to 19p for 100m.

C

Cakey

Thats some mark up .
I double up on trade prices but thats 15 times .
Is that typical in the tackle trade ???

C

Cakey

Has anyone seen any BASS PRO on their travels please let me know, I need some