the best mono

R

Ron Clay

Cakey, membrane filters are not only made of polyethersulfone, they are also made of Nylon, PVDF, Cellulose acetate, polypropylene, cellulose nitrate, poly carbonate and PTFE.

Nylon is one of the most common of the hydrophyllic membrane filters used. I should know, I am in the business.

E

Edmund Cowpe

For most applications I use Silstar Match Team. Though this is now sold under a different name (though identical spool) as Silstar went to the wall. For most duties except heavy ledgering its great. It has low strech, predictable break point when under stress, low line memory. It is of course one of the pre-streched 'high tech' lines, but still retains its durability. I realy would recommend you to try some. I have never had a bad batch and the line diameter is very consistant. However I must stress that I: never store line or loaded reels in daylight; never use washing up liquid on line; store spools and line in sealed plastic bags; only use line for a single season; strip off a few meters after every session. I must say I find Maxima very poor and very expensive for what you get, its old school and it shows.

C

Cakey

Ron
If membrane filters are green then they should break down faster than fishing line ??

L

Laurie Harper

I always thought Drennan Specimen was re-badged Sylcast and their Floatfish was Bayer. It actually works out cheaper to buy it with a Drennan label on the spool in my experience. Have to disagree with the claim that Maxima is "old school". It may not be the newest, shiniest stuff on the block, but it does the job, which is what it's about, after all. Silstar Match Team is now W B Clarke - it's good, but I wouldn't leger with it on the reel. On a trip last summer, my mate lost three barbel in a row, using 8lb. MT on his reel, when it snapped unexpectedly. I landed my fish safely on old school 6lb. Maxima.

E

Edmund Cowpe

Laurie,

I take your point. However MT equivalent diameter to Maxima is about 12lb. What I do is go somewhere between. Hi tech is brilliant but you have to look after it, as i said earlier. It is less resistant to abrasion for same diameter, but usualy steping up compensates for this whilst still fishing a lower diameter than Maxima. Maxima is so conservatively sized relative to its diameter, I would say 6lb is realy 8lb B.S. It is better at high load abrasion but does have stress points as its diameter is not as consistant.
Maxima has about 40% stretch MT is approximately 18%. This makes it less sensitive to bite detection and difficult to predict when its going to break in the field.

For heavy legering Maxima is better but for everything else MT is streets ahead. The worst lines I have ever had the displeasure to fish with are from Berkley. The worst valus for money must be Super Shanobi.

The jury is out on braid.