the best mono

N

Nicky Garbutt

what is the best mono you have ever used cause i need to fill up all my reels.

M

Mike Parker

Depends on what sort of fishing!
Drennen Floatfish, Maxima, Cortland are the ones I use.

R

Rob Brownfield

I would say Maxima for all round use. Used it from Dace up to roach, tench, carp, pike, even in the sea, uk and abroad.

The cheapo Daiwa stuff takes some beating though.

S

Shrek

Daiwa Super Shinobi for stick float fishing as it floats excellently.

Still water fishing I use whatever comes free with magazines, or any cheap bulk spool I have happened to pick up.

R

Ron Clay

The Daiwa Sensor is truly excellent line, a 1300 m spool is super vaue for money.

Howver the VERY best polyamide mono in the World in my opinion is Stren.

R

Rob Brownfield

Ron, I used to use Stren ALL of the time when spinning or worming for salmon as you could see the stuff glowing above the water. I never had fish put off by the blue or yellow glow at all, but, suddenly, i started to get the stuff break where it entered the water. I was not the only one to notice this, so i stopped using it. Any ideas>

R

Ron Clay

When I used Stren I never used the flourescent stuff. It worked very well- never had a problem

A

Andrew Matthews

For lure fishing you can't beat Yo-Zuri Aqaba (from Harris Angling). it has a lot less stretch than normal mono and is very supple - brilliant for casting with a multiplier. Being bright yellow, it's easy to see in the water too.

A

Andy Blessett

Try taking a look at the SUFIX monos, both 'Synergy' and 'Herculine', Maxima and Pro Gold by Terry Eustace. Some may disagree with me about Shimano Technium's qualities but I find it handles very well and has low stretch qualities. I use all these and find they all handle well and are very dependable.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Andy, I largely agree on the Suffix, particularly the Herculine - EXCEPT if you have had to pull for a break with it. It is useless after that and you have to bin it. I have had 12lb go like cotton.

A

Andy Blessett

Cheers Dave, I haven't yet but I'll certainly bear that in mind. Another line that comes to mind is Shimano's EXAGE. I personally don't like it but a lot of people do.

C

Cheese Paste

As value for money is a factor when buying line, I opt for Daiwa Sensor, although the tried and tested Maxima takes some beating

B

Birds Nest

I still go back to Maxima... All though my old man has a bulk spool of Big Game I'm looking to fill up a couple of baitrunners with...

J

Jon Moores

Interested Dave's comment about Synergy. I gave up on the stuff for this reason.Pull for a break or close to the breaking strain and it loses a huge amount of its strength I would guess in the region of 75% loss at times. Anyone else suffered with this line?

P

Phil Heaton

I used whiplash in 25lb for lure fishing, on 2 different rods and reels, thought it was really good. But after only a few weeks it started breaking easy (about 6lb knot strength), using a palomar knot and it started 'bobbling' like old wool. I changed it for Newtech Power Cable in 25lb and 15lb, I have used the same line since last autumn now and it is well used, without any noticable detremental affects. Although it is a thicker braid than Whiplash I find the casting distance has not been reduced.

P

Phil Heaton

Sorry but my reply was not about mono, my favourites are Pro Gold on the centrepin and Fox Soft Steel on the ledger reels. I use 12lb Technium for dead and livebaiting, which I have not had any real problem with except that in really cold weather it tends to be 'wirey'.

C

Chris Bishop

I used to use 15 and 18lbs Sensor when I used mono, mainly because it was cheap. Only broke it a couple of times but it used to kink up badly after a few trips.

D

disco dan

I use maxima chameleon and also fox barbuster both good lines but have used terry eustace pro gold in the past and would recomend that as well.