roof racks for rods

Gerry Hems

Reaction score
Having just downsized my car I need to carry my rod bags on my roof bars. Having not done this before has anyboby any experience or tips to offer regarding securing these on the rack safely ?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Apiece of rope

(I was going to say it'sa piece of cake -- but that wouldn't hold them properly)

M

mark norris (ACA)

I use bungy elastic and have had no problems

tinca steve

Reaction score
For safety you should use a roof box. I have had my rod holdall stolen when we stopped at a motorway pit stop. But if you leave someone with the car then the rods can put on the roof bars but i suggest you pad the bars as they can bruise rods if they are not carried in tubes, then use long good quality bungees to secure them.

David Craine

Reaction score
I used to use a 6" dia plastic drain pipe, stopped and padlocked at the ends, bolted to the roof rack to carry my beach rods, so they would not be crushed by bungees..... then one night on Spurn Point, some toerag decided he needed my £250.00 backcaster more than I did, he literally ripped the tube from the rack and rack from the car, and beggared off with it.....whilst I was fishing 200 yards away.The damage to the vehicle cost as much as the rod was worth.

I now carry my rods in the car,which I chose because it is a large , long, estate version, and never leave any tackle out on view.... dont you just love this country and the low life it spawns these days.

Gerry Hems

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I like the drain pipe idea and take you point/s over security but as we usually go from home to the bankside it should ??be O.K.

David Craine

Reaction score
Gerry... if you do decide to use a Tube, when at the waterside take your rods out, and leave it open so prospecting thieves can see it is empty.... should have done that myself, lessons learned and all that.

Dave.