wax jackets

alan

Reaction score
has any one here used a wax jacket for fishing? and what was better a normal waterproof set or a wax one?

i have a waxed leather bush hat now(Ron's influence) for trousers im using a regatta set, warm, waterproof, quiet, and comfy.

im after a jacket now, i dont like the thin ones as they tear, the all weather suits/jackets are to warm/constricting and the wax ones to me seem to fit the bill as to what im after. im just unsure as to wether they would cope with being in the rain all day.

B

bobby

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifalan just bought a two piece suit from moreton angling made by sundridge it was £90 its warm fully waterproof and also breatherble cant find any faults with it mate ,oh and its green. ive fished two 5 hour matches in it in torrential rain and wind and not felt a bit cold and whats more stayed bone dry over the moon with it mate and at that price its a steal............ ps i am nothing to do with the above named shop just a customer hope this might help/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

alan

Reaction score
nope didnt help/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

ive got a floaty suit for beach/boat fishing.

for sitting in all day i find the big suits to much, i get to hot, and feel restricted. to give you a clue i own 1 jumper and 2 coats, a leather that i have worn about 4 times, and a lightweight jacket for when im working on cars. i hate my arms being covered and feeling restricted, hence the reason im after a large lightweight coat that i can put on over my body warmer when its raining hard and take off when it eases up.

ive used the cheapy plastic waterproofs and found they split and feel clammy when damp.

£90 is way over my budget, ive found non padded wax jackets for under £30. and i cant afford to spend more then that.

unless there's something similar. non padded, large, waterproof.

David Craine

Reaction score
I have a Barbour that was owned by a friend for 15 years before he gave it to me. I re proofed it, and it still keeps the rain out, the downside is that I always feel cold when wearing it unless I wear several layers underneath.I do however look the Country Gent when wearing it to the shops :0) In fact I have been mistaken for Lord Paul several times.

I wear it for fly fishing in the rain, just to look the part.

I think on balance that modern hi tech clothing is the way forward, warmer, easier to maintain,and mostly ripstop fabric,whereas Wax jackets have a propensity to tear.

I do have a Barbour waxed hat, and have been called a" floppy hatter", the brim keeps the rain off my glasses, and from dribbling down my neck.Only wear it in the rain though.Look a bot of an arse in it really.

Just an opinion though.

Dave

alan

Reaction score
thanks David. the cold doesnt bother me, its the keeping dry bit I'm interested in.

Ive got one of these for my head, with the pheasant feathers in the band.

i was told that they don't tear easily.

Reaction score
alan no probs dont know if you can buy the jacket seperately but as for being able to move then its the dogs boll..ks im shipping a pole in and out all day. as for plastic jackets they dont keep you warm so you wear extra clothing which hinders movement. a bellstaff wax jacket is what i think your looking for theseare ok in warm conditions but no good when cold .good luck in finding what ya need................./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

alan

Reaction score
Bobby, i spent a few years working in freezers, when you walk about in temps of below -18c in a t-shirt, the usual temps when fishing are quite pleasant.

under the plastic jacket i have a t-shirt and a bodywarmer. the only time i put a jumper on was when i got to a river and the car said -4. but once i was set up and had my 1st coffee that soon came off.

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
Alan, a different view for you----- I'm a beach fisherman in winter, and as well as the full floatation suit for when its brass monkey weather, my " normal " jacket is A Mustad 4 seasons jacket found in likes of SEA ANGLER mag, I've had it a year now, and its warm, warmer if you have lots of layers underneath (!), waterproof ( been out in the rain for hours MANY times !!) but nice and comfortable to wear, and comes with a hood which you can roll up inside the collar and zip up, velcro adjustable cuffs Its genuinely good kit.

alan

Reaction score
what was it you were saying about staying in budget?/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

ive just had a look but they look too thick, when you say warm how warm?

im the same on a beach, floaty suit for boat or snow/frost/wind other then that its a bodywarmer and a cheapy waterproof jacket.

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
tut tut, I got mine for £30 so its IN budget /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif No good me raving on about ppl goin over budget then ME doin it !/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Seriously now, its not padded as much as your floaty, nowhere near, but enough to keep you warm when its cool, trust me they're not thick like a floaty, at a guess I would say similar thickness and stiffness as a barbour ( but dont quote me). Nip into your tackle shop and have a feel, but from personal experience I WOULD recommend it----------- , and all zips, velcro etc still perfect,well made----

If you're now interested in one please check it out before buying, although you DO have 7 day cooling off period anyway, as I wouldnt want you sayin " that Tom talks crap", but I stand by what I said.

alan

Reaction score
i will take a look, and nose about at others to see.

you got to admit though my hat would go well with a wax jacket, giving me that rugged outdoor look. i did look at a custom made wax leather coat but my Mrs said no to the £300 needed.

S

Sean Meeghan

Hi Alan. I've fished in wax jackets and they're OK except in a prolonged downpour. The cheaper ones leak quickest and they often have seams in the wrong places that leak. I'd go for a modern synthetic waterproof jacket. Have a look at the cheaper Ron Thompson stuff or go to an army surplus store or website and have a look at the ex army waterproofs - I'd go for European stuff as our forces think that getting wet is good for character building.

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
I suppose it depends what important to you, looking like Crocodile Dundee, or staying dry and comfortable ( joking)/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif. I must admit you would cut quite a dash in the barbour and the hat. The carp would be well impressed-----. Mustad is a good jacket, whether its what you want is up to you--------/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

alan

Reaction score
cheers Sean. that's the advise i was after. what do you class as a prolonged downpour, being sat under a brolly and only going out when baiting up, playing a fish etc, or no brolly?

Tom, i was thinking of wearing it on the beach. fishing outside the nightclubs at kicking out time, i could tell you some stories, but this ain't the bait box/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif .

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
Well the jacket WONT leak, will the women outside the club? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

alan

Reaction score
sat in the dark on the beech one night when we heard a bunch of giggling girls stripping off and going for a swim 20 meters from us.

5,000,000 candle power spotlights light the water and beach up well dont they.

you can guess the rest.

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif Where did you hide their clothes /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif. Hope you offered them something warm-----------

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
If the cold isn't a problem (are you cold blooded?) then the answer is simple, use hikers gear, its light, windproof and waterproof if you buy the right stuff and easy to wear. Like all things in this life you get what you pay for and if you pay cheap and nasty prices you get cheap and nasty products, and the cheapest alternative is, as Sean rightly pointed out, the army surplus stuff but even the best of that range isn't exactly cheap, the main advantage is that it ismade for rugged conditions, light, hardwearingand is soldier-proof.

Rain is one of those times that is least productive for an angler, before and after yes but during no, so, maybeyou should ask yourself is it really worth fishing in the rain? Would I be better under a brolly or even better in the car? Then you have a surefire certain waterproof system that doesn't cost a penny!

The Monk

Reaction score
I`ve worn Barbours for years, i`ve gone through 3 Solway Zippers in my time, excellent stuff, I usually pair them with the trousers and fur linings, they will certsainly keep you dry, the downside is of course, they need waxing on occassion and they are heavy. In recent years I`ve worn gortex, much more efficient, lighter, dont need waxing and they will keep you dry, technology has moved on since tjhe days of the wax jacket, the Barbour is still a good fashion statement though