restoration of vintage rods

hooktie(Iain)

Reaction score
Hi to all you piscators out there . For months now I have been trying unsucsessfully both to find a reliable and recomended restorer of split cane rods in the midlands prefferably Worcs area and toinprove my spelling though the last part is not important.

As i have a sealy splitcanerod that was already 2nd hand when my brother had it brought for him some 40 years ago, not only is she a lovely item butit is criminal to be left in both the state it is inand not to use such a thing of beauty with an reel of equal age and quality.SO to you all any help would be most wecome to bothmyself and the good lady rod herself

M

mark norris (ACA)

Why not have a go yourself?

Agutters can supply all the bits you need and you can get a book off fleabay telling you how to.

Cheaper and more satisfying than a proffessional re-build

hooktie(Iain)

Reaction score
thanks Mark

I will checkout the book but to be honest i'm looking for a professional job,as if i messed it up it would be criminal but i will go check out the book on E-bay nice one mattie

yours Iain

M

mark norris (ACA)

I am as inept as anyone I know and I re-built a Sealey rod that I bought new more years ago than I care to remember.

I fitted a new ferrule, stripped the old rusted rings and varnish and completely re-whipped it.

Took me weeks, with several false starts due to crap workmanship, but I persevered and I was well chuffed with the end result.

I read **** Walkers rod building for amateurs and just kept trying till I got it right.

Since then I have re-furbed 3 more second hand cane rods and built 6/7 rods from kits.

If I can do it anyone can.

W

Wolfman Woody

I have the phone number of a guy in Cookham, Berkshire, who I met today.

He was fishing with a Hardy's Palakona cane spinning rod that he's restored and it was really nice. You'd have to post your rod I guess and restoration would not be cheap. He uses Gudebrod threads, the best.

Say if you want his number or email/message me.

P

Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)

The restorer who does most of my rods is taking a rest at the moment following an long illness.

You can try e-mailing: bonceste@aol.com
who comes recommended, although I haven't used him myself.

The thing is, once you find a good rod restorer, who doesn't charge the earth, you have to be prepared to wait for your rod as he will probably be very busy.

Typically, you can expect 8 to 12 months depending on work volume.

hooktie(Iain)

Reaction score
Thank you one and all.
I will both keep huntting and get hold of ****(we are not worthy) Walkers book.It,s crazy i live in Redditch the Ex home of british fishing tackle makers ,but all thats gone to the far east even Partridges of Rrddithh only do the packing in the town now.If it comes down to it it,s going to be a home job all i think that i am capeable of doind but the fine brush work at the base.
thanks again
Iain

hooktie(Iain)

Reaction score
Hi all Iain here .

Just had a look at flea-bay and there,s a few **** walker books listed whitch on am i looking for.

yours Iain

Rob Mc Coll

Reaction score
Have a go yourself, it is not difficult, just take your time and use the best quality whipping thread, varnishand rings that you can get.I bought a Sealey Floatcaster De Luxe at a boot sale for a fiver, it was in a bit of a sorry state but with care and not rushing I stripped it,rerung it and revarnished it, the hardest bits were the intermediate whippings between the rings. The ferrules and handle fittings were OK. First time out using an early Mitchell 300 I caught a pristine 1.25lb Roach from a local water, I was well chuffed. Unfortunately a while later I shut the top section in my shed door and broke it in half so if anyone has a top section I would be interested in buying it or if anyone wants what I have left give me a shout. The thing ishave a go, you never know what you can do until you try. Keep it bent. Robs

Paul Martin 5

Reaction score
The only person I can think of suggesting would be Mark Tunley but he's based down this way (South).

But you really need to look at some of his rods to know how beautiful they are:

bamboo.jpg

http://www.marktunley.com/index.htm

Trisantona

Reaction score
Rob,here's what i did with a broken top,found a piece of carbon of right bore about 1 1/2 " long,put a spot of superglue on each half and slid into tube,job done !. hardly noticeable ./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

P

PAG

Ted Oliver of Olivers of Knebworth fame has now retired but still has a lot of components to sell off. He might be a good source of silks, ferrules etc. You can reach him on 01438812330. He sold the business to a gentleman called Peter who builds split cane rods as Olivers Rods in Chester. He can be reached on 01829271717or info@oliversrods.com

T

Tony Rocca

Peter johnson he is called, did me a couple of blanks a lomg time ago, did a good job too.

Iain Riley

Reaction score
HI again one and all im keping an eye onthe book on fleabay thanks Pag i,ll also check out Ted Oliver but i havn't been able to find any trace of a Peter Johnson but i will keep trying so cheers Tony

thanks again all Iain

P

PAG

I forgot to mention that this weekend (8th and 9th) is the country show in Knebworth Park if you happened to be down this way. Peter usually exhibits at the show so he is probably down here now setting up.

If you want to give me contact details I will pass them on to him if I see him.

PAG

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

If you can find it, Peter Stone wrote a very useful little book on rodbuilding many years ago. In it, he covers some of the more tricky bits of rod building that Walker does not mention in "Rod Building for Amateurs".

P

PAG

Another person who could help you is Jack Simpson

http://www.simpsonsofturnford.co.uk/index.html

Jack worked on split cane with Ted Oliver in the seventies. I have a little booklet he produced in conjunction with Ken Whitehead in 1974 called 'Making Rod Kits' which covers the basics. It had ISBN number 0900249 09 9

I doubt that it is still available but Jack might be able to send you something similar.

Iain Riley

Reaction score
cheers both .

Pag unfortunatly dew to lack of transport i wont be able to get to Kebworth but if you would care to mention it to Peter it is Sealey spltcane that was brought second hand in the seventys the tip has ether been brooken or just lost the top eye ring,the top ferrel is stuck in the mid one and the mid ferrel isstuck in the bottem one.

as this has come down through verious family members it looks like sombody has try,d to do a dodgy restoatin job on it as some of the wipping looks suspect.Now it,s come to me who.s fishing mad this rod need a copmleat stripdown and lots of t.l.c to whitch i could not do it jusice oh and some where in the past the rod bag has gone .and i don't think it,s gonna be a cheap job etherjust looking at it makes me want to cry .funds are limited so the longer it takes the more chance i get to put a bit of money away .my family think i,m mad and should use it for fire wood or do it myself but i can't shift the vison of it with an old center pin reel with the sun glinting offit with myself hideing in so reeds trying for that one good chub.

to Ron the hat thank you to i will look out for Peter Stones book so for the moment all i can say is thank you all and when it finally gets done i hope that i can show you the photos some time .Iain