do you always take a brolly

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I very rarely use one but the other day I needed mine and had forgotten the mallet

In the end I had to stop fishing for 20 minutes and hold the brolly until the rain slowed

barbelboi

Reaction score
I rarely use a brolly, on the few occasions that I do I just use a short metal rod (or peg) in the hole of solid aluminium spike and twist it into the ground.
Jerry

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I never use a Brolly for when it Rains, I much prefer a decent set of Waterproofs. I do use one in the Summer time though to shade me from the Sun.

If the weather is so bad that i feel that i am going to need to put a Brolly up to protect myself from the rain all day, then i ain't going bloody out in it lol.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I always take far more gear than I need. I intend doing a bit of river roaming later this summer and I'm thinking of just taking a poncho instead of a brolly or shelter.

terry m

Reaction score
I normally take my brolly except:-
a. If i is a short session and I am confident that the weather is going to be good.
b. If I am mobile, generally on a river, waterproofs suffice then.
c. If I am lure fishing or wobbling deads etc.

BTW I use one of those screw in ground spikes, they are pretty good.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I leave it behind if i can, especially if i am travelling light for a short session or expect a long walk.

Mine is the cheapest, nastiest and most rubbish brolly i know of, it has holes and slices taken out of it, it was only extendable for about 1 trip before it got jammed as it is, but it still keeps most of the rain out and is rather homely to be under in a heavy shower.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I must confess that nowadays I try to avoid fishing days/sessions when it looks like rain so my brolly rarely makes the car let alone the bank. Pretty well the only time I do take one is during the winter when a mild,wet,windy day means I shall be out after zander.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Funnily enough Skippy I fished at your zander venue today and without my brolly I would have gone home. It tipped it down in Surrey today....

barbelboi

Reaction score
Funnily enough Skippy I fished at your zander venue today and without my brolly I would have gone home. It tipped it down in Surrey today....

Dry day here Simon, always thought you were the wet weather culprit - and we've been blaming poor Windy all this time;)
Jerry

red creel

Reaction score
I always take far more gear than I need. I intend doing a bit of river roaming later this summer and I'm thinking of just taking a poncho instead of a brolly or shelter.

Me too...saw one in use yesterday on a club lake, kept him and the tackle on the ground surrounding his chair bone dry..was most impressed.

barbelboi

Reaction score
If you buy the genuine ex British forces issue poncho they last years, must have had mine since the 70's. They also make a good ground sheet and, with a little ingenuity, many other aids.
Jerry

red creel

Reaction score
If you buy the genuine ex British forces issue poncho they last years, must have had mine since the 70's. They also make a good ground sheet and, with a little ingenuity, many other aids.
Jerry

Lol..actually i have used them for their intended use when i was in the "mob"

But being a civvy since 1988 i had completely forgotten about them.If it had not been for the incident yesterday they would probulary still be under my radar.The guy yesterday was using a commercial version or so he told me available through a barbel website.

A

alan whittington

I too can see no point getting wet and im afraid waterproofs dont keep you perfectly dry,what about bait and tackle,a brolly every time for me,even though fishing from under one can be an absolute pain in the butt sometimes.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Alan you are right I went last Thursday on my bike so I didn't take a brolly , I also didn't put my waterproof trousers on I got soaked to the skin and the rain even penetrated my supposedly waterproof rucksack - altogether a miserable day , In the afternoon , as it brightened , I sat there with steam coming off me.

Luckily I missed the hailstones further north though my mate showed me photos his mom had took and the hailstones were as big as a swan vesta matchbox, Another mate said his sister in Hinckley had her conservatory windows smashed by hailstones.

Anyone else get those ? they were really big like the ones they get in the states , I don't think a brolly would have been much good against those.