Hunting vote set for March

M

Michael Hall

I`ve gotta try eel yet! Supposed to taste like greacy chicken! Apparently! What does it taste like?

K

Keith Miller

The rudd pun was for your benefit, Ron.
I am told that chub is like eating cotton wool.

R

Ron Clay

Eels are one of the great delicacies of the world. Absolutely marvellous and very good for you. Firm white flesh with a delightful nutty flavour.

Next I would put tench. I've eaten tench in South Africa, Ireland and Poland. It is really quite excellent.

Oh and by the way if you think I'm encouraging you to go out and eat your fish, I'm not. However the edibilty of certain coarse fish is worthy of discussion.

C

Chris Betts

I find the whole issue of hunting with dogs completely aborant. However as Voltaire said, "I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death to defend your right to say it". Which is a roundabout way of saying I do'nt like the idea of bans of any sort. I agree that next on the agenda for the extremists would be angling. However the government is currently pumping money into angling schemes I understand, as it is seen as a way to occupy young kids, and break the cycle of urban decay. I have just written to Tony Blair about the entire issue of angling and the anti's. I am however not holding my breath for a serious reply, but at least I feel better for doing it, and can say I did a little bit. It is something we should all do.

I know one person cannot make a great deal of difference, but lots of one persons can.

M

Michael Hall

Chris you have some valid points! Could I have to address to write tony brlair and then this way there are more letters! I will try to get as many as possible to do the same but I know one man called Alan Roe who is in a constant struggle to fight back at the anti's and hes the man you want to talk to!

F

Frank Curtis

I wouldn't waste my time writing to tony blair because he's a one man band and doesn't even listen to his cabinet ministers let alone us mere mortals. This fox-hunting debate has been pushed through to divert our attention away from this country's more seious problems.
I agree that we have to protect our sport but surely the way to do this is be on the attack and not on the defensive. Up to now we seem to be divided in the way we counter the anti's attacks
One way to do this would be for the various fishing associations and clubs to form an action group and then levy their members. They could then employ some good advertising people to run ads in the national press extolling the virtues of fishing, especially the benefits to the countryside and wildlife through the preservation and continuing maintenance of our rivers, lakes and canals.
There are of course many other benefits which have been mentioned on this sight but we must remember that it is only us anglers and perhaps a few of the antis who log into it.
It's just an idea but does anyone think it's worth considering.

C

Chris Betts

Frank I agree that the best for of defence is attack, yes as a group anglers should stand together, apathy seems to be the main problem. As a club committee member I see this a lot. Only when things effect individuals directly do they start to show any interest. Advertising is very expensive, personally I think the best way is to get those who make policy on our side. The SAA is trying to do this.

Michael I wrote to Tony Blair at the House of commons in the Palace of Westminster, Westminster, London, W1. It will reach his office there.

M

Michael Hall

Yes the SAA are doing a great job. I saw Alan Roe at the NEC and he was promoting his stand on the antis (PETA), he has some exallent points, he will tell you some great attacking stratagies, I think that one of the other problams is that angling doesn't have one governing body, which needs doing, However which organisation to choose would be of a great difficulty! I also think that the one governing body should recieve funding from the EA from our licence money and subjected like you said to promotion and advertising. Are there any political parties who represtent fishing as a whole?
anyway thanks for the address chris, i`ll write to him in the near future!

D

dave morton

I agree with most of the comments in this thread. With regards to wriring to Tony Blair I feel the letters are much more worthwhile if sent to youre constituency MP.
The address will be in the phone book. As prime minister Mr Blair has bigger issues to worry about and all you are likely to get is an auto response by a word processor- however individual MP's do have to worry about their voters - particularly in marginal constituencies - let them know your feelings and just maybe they'll listen.
ps. I haven't bothered to write to my MP because MP=PM.