Name that tune!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just for a bit of fun, do any of you listen to Music while fishing?
I will start the ball rolling by adding my favourites (it changes though as I like all sorts of music) at the moment I am listening to a bit of folk from Johnny Flynn (superb) and Laura Marling (also superb) but I could be listening to ELO (BEST BAND EVER!) or Led zep or even a little country fro the likes of Alan Jackson or Mark Chesnutt!
They have all helped me catch fish at one time or another :D ;)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I rarely if ever listen to music when fishing, but certainly do listen to the Cricket if its on when I'm on a couple of days session after Carp - by headphones only though.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Whatever is on the radio (2 usually). I have one of those excellent little Pure Move rechargeable DAB radios. I do often have it on when fishing but just loud enough for me to hear it and no one else. If a venue has a no radios rule I usually play by the rules. However, I was caught out by the owner of one fishery that was regarded as especially strict with such rules. The radio was on, I could hear it sitting in my chair. The owner managed to sneak up on me in a way that's only possible when you are the other side of a brolly, shelter or bivvy. He twigged the radio straight away and said "I'm pleased to see that your radio isn't switched on." I told him that it was actually on. While I was mentally packing up and anticipating a flea in my ear, he frowned, looked a little perplexed for a moment and said "Well, if that's as loud as it gets, you can keep using it. Try not to let others see it.":)

Just like my bite alarms, if anyone knows I've got a radio, please stop invading my personal space!;):D:p

cg74

Reaction score
Normally I listen to chat shows but they don't interest me, this will always hit the spot:
Faithless - We Come 1 - YouTube
Or this:
Tiesto power mix - YouTube

But the best music experience while fishing was on the Lower Severn last autumn and at about midnight the party boat came through my swim. Feeling the bass through the bank and bouncing off your chest - awesome:
Faithless - Insomnia (HD) - YouTube
And the disturbance never effected the fish whatsoever - in fact I had a good barbel take as the boat was leaving my swim!

sam vimes

Reaction score
And the disturbance never effected the fish whatsoever - in fact I had a good barbel take as the boat was leaving my swim!

For quite some time I've wondered whether, on some waters, a disturbance can actually attract fish. There's no doubt that the merest shadow can spook fish on some waters. On others it barely seems to matter a jot.
A recent work party on a water saw us hammering stakes into the lake bed. Fish started rolling and crashing out closer and closer to us as the work went on.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I once fished at Wareham, my old home town, when the big event in town was Phil Collin's manager, who owned a big house near the river, getting married. All afternoon & evening there was a rock 'jam' session going on. Quite who was playing drums, guitar etc, I don't know but may well have included Clapton, Collins etc. Didn't catch much much but great entertainment.

cg74

Reaction score
For quite some time I've wondered whether, on some waters, a disturbance can actually attract fish. There's no doubt that the merest shadow can spook fish on some waters. On others it barely seems to matter a jot.
A recent work party on a water saw us hammering stakes into the lake bed. Fish started rolling and crashing out closer and closer to us as the work went on.

In the case of the Lower Severn barbel, I don't think they follow or are attracted by disturbance, I think it's more that under the cover of darkness; very little puts them off - otters in the swim, party boats, drunkards having a midnight dip, rowing boats smashing from bank to bank, all have very little effect.

terry m

Reaction score
I too am a radio freak. Five Live or sometimes Talk Sport or maybe TMS, but again only loud enough fo2r me to hear.

The modern DAB radios are superb.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I was putting some slabs down a couple of years ago and it was really really hot, this ice cream van was circling the estate playing la donne mobile which in my head comes out as jose mourinio jose mourinio I seriously couldn't get it out of my head.

I have the same problem sometimes when I am fishing , I fish to relax so I try to think of nothing , sometimes it doesn't work , don't think I am strange but sometimes a tune just gets stuck in my head , the other week , while fishing it was long haired lover from Liverpool and I really couldn't shake it , so yes I might start taking my ipod

Classical Spanish is something I find really relaxing.

sam vimes

Reaction score

bennygesserit

Reaction score

beerweasel

Reaction score
I cannot understand why anybody would want to listen to music whilst fishing.
Why drown out the sound of birdsong, waterfalls etc ? :confused:
I even hate it on fishing videos.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Your taste in music is nearly as bad as Sams , no offense , hmmmm actually yes offense , you like s*** music

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cheers Sam, Great music from Jeff and the lads (RIP Kelly)

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

Your taste in music is nearly as bad as Sams , no offense , hmmmm actually yes offense , you like s*** music

Benny your from the west Midlands and you don't like ELO? strange chap :D
Seriously, I like your taste as I love classical guitar, I do have to be in the mood though.
you have not heard me on the guitar have you...You don't really want too either :D

sam vimes

Reaction score

i like all sorts. However, the last one was nothing to do with me and I'm not overly impressed with your offering. I can admire the skill in the playing but I couldn't sit and listen to it over again.

I cannot understand why anybody would want to listen to music whilst fishing.
Why drown out the sound of birdsong, waterfalls etc ? :confused:

If it drowns anything out, it's on way too loud.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
i like all sorts. However, the last one was nothing to do with me and I'm not overly impressed with your offering. I can admire the skill in the playing but I couldn't sit and listen to it over again.

If it drowns anything out, it's on way too loud.

Your not listening to it right ;)