best was to tackle a new stretch on river

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Having recently moved - I now live about 10 minutes walk away from a stretch on the River Rother in Sheffield.

How would you go about fishing a section of the river that is new to you?

I have already had a couple of walks along the bank - thrown in some maggots and bread.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Hi Matt

I've been asking about this bit of the river since the offer on the house was accepted - both local tackle shop tell me that a bit further alongis very good fishing, in Summer you havestruggle to get a swim so I'll be trying those bits but I want to give the bit nearest to home a try out as well

Lord Paul

Reaction score
I've been told the stretch further up is good for barbel and chub - one of the DVSG lads I've emailed has confirmed this - but I'd like some ideas for how to tackle the bit near to my home.

I might have a quick lure session this weekend

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Paul,

Maybe a session with feeder and maggots which shouldgive you a chance to appeal to anything in there save for the preds.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Exactly what I would have suggested Nigel.

Start fairly light with a maggot feeder, scale up if bigger fish move in and maybe return with an open ended feeder and some larger baits.

2 or 3 sessions should see you with an idea of what's in there and a days lure fishing is just as likely to net you a good perch or two as well as finding any pike.