Good Quality Waders

C

Chris Betts

On a recent work party I managed to tear my waders. I have had these since I was 16, which is 22 years now. What I would like is an answer to the following question.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement pair, i.e. Quality and value for money.

My last pair were a traditional green rubber pair, I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the company that made them. I just hope they are still in business. After all if everybodies waders last 22 years the market would shrink quickly.

Hope someone can offer some advice, based on personal experience.

C

Cheese Paste

22 years is amazing. I thought most start to perish after about 2 or 3 seasons. I'd be interested to know how you kept them going that long.

As for new waders I think Neoprene is the "in" material to have if you can get hold of them.

C

Chris Betts

Mine were kept hung up in a well ventilated shed. I am lucky in that I have always been in a position to provide an environment where my gear can be hung to dry in consistant temperatures, even in winter.

C

Chris Bishop

Uniroyal streamfisher - not the cheapest but I always reckoned they lasted longer. Get a troutie mag and check out the mail order offers.

J

John Pleasance

I find it hard to believe that your waders were rubber and lasted 22 years. I've always hung mine up in the garage and ordinary rubber waders seem to begin to perish after only a couple of years.

A good quality and long lasting wader is one called "Ocean" I believe these used to be marketed as "Hardy" waders but went under their own name a few years ago.I can vouch for one pair lasting 11 years but they are not rubber.

The last time I bought a pair they were just over ?50 when good rubber ones were ?30 but they do last a lot longer than rubber, they have a soft roll down top section.

L

Laurie Harper

If the tear isn't too bad, the wader repair sealants do work. Could be cheaper than a new pair. Mind you, 22 years is a pretty amazing lifespan. Gates waders are good and not expensive. They make for other people, such as Daiwa. Black is cheaper than green, so long as you don't mind looking as if you've been sent to unblock the sewers.

R

Rob Brownfield

No question...get some stoking foot neoprenes. About ?100 upwards...comfy, warm, and...well...rather kinky..lol

C

Chris Betts

Thanks chaps, Rob have you ever thought about getting some profesional help? I appreciate all the feedback. Yes they have lasted 22 years but thinking about it they have not had that much use in that time. Maybe 2 or 3 times a year. What has surprised me is the price variation. Mine cost about ?30 when I bought them, so I was a little suprised that the prices for uniroyal are still about that, mine were uniroyal streamfishers, I think, I can almost ready the little white and red label on the top of them.

S

Stuart Bullard

My wifes rubber leggins and suit has lasted for years.......

By the way, what are the pro's and cons of neoprene ??

R

Robert Draper

A question which might seem rather intrusive but I have to ask...

What do you wear under neoprenes (NO PICTURES!!!)?.

I have a neoprene wetsuit and I can't imagine wearing anything more than a pair of swimming trunks underneath.

C

Chris Betts

This thread is not exactly going in the direction I intended. Seems to be getting a little sordid. With more information than I really want to know about.

S

Stuart Bullard

Come on chaps, what are the pro's and con's of neoprenes????

S

Steve Parsons

I have got some Ron Thompson neoprene chest waders.They are very warm and close fitting.The sizing is a little strange,the body size and height is proportional to the boot size.I am 6'3,14stone and have a size 9 foot.The waders only just fit me in the body and leg.A friend has size 11 feet,is tall like me but is heavier,but his waders fit ok.I certainly would not recommend buying mail order unless you can be very sure of the sizing.
Ocean waders are pvc type and are very hard wearing.They are very popular with b
each anglers in the N.E of england.

J

Jim Hinchley

Ive also got a pair of ron thompson neoprene waders and fine they are. The key to neoprene is its thermal properties which are excellent. In winter i only need a pair of tracksuit bottoms underneath to keep warm.
The downside can be in summer when you really need to be in the water all the time to stay cool.
I usually use a standard neoprene wetsuit in summer for wading as i can sit or stand in the water upto my neck to stay cool.
I would fully agree with steves comment about not buying them mail order as you really need to try them on.

R

Rob Brownfield

Pros, they are warm, comfy, stretch to accomodate beer bellies etc, snug fitting so dont catch on bushes, fences etc, easy to repair if they do tear, if tou use stocking feet ones, u can wear a pair of walking boots to get to the river and change to wading boots when there etc. Also they are slightly buoyant, so can be an asset when deep wading as it seems easier to walk. In a flow, because they are tight fitting, u can wade faster water safely. Last years and years

Cons, you can sweat worse than a pig in a bacon factory, expensive compared to rubber, u look daft. In the winter if u wade to say cast and then come back to dry land, a cold wind can make u feel real cold as they hold water. they take an age to dry and take water into the car.

Overall though, they are great. I wear goretex trousers over them in the winter, this stops the wind chill.